Help me choose middle names for "Lukas"! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, we decided on a name finally! My husband and I have heavily Irish and Scandinavian heritage so it means a lot to us to choose either Irish/English names or Danish/Norwegian ones. We decided on Lukas (Norwegian spelling of Lucas) but are completely stumped on middle names. Our kids have 2 middle names.

For reference, here are the names of our first 2 sons:

William John Philip

Tristan Daniel Obrien

And what we're thinking for this baby as of right now is:

Lukas Anders Christian

Do you think that combination is too wordy or hard to say? I really like it a lot! DH isn't completely sold on it. He is suggesting completely skipping the Scandanavian trend for middle names to put Edward in it somehow. We still have much discussing before coming to a conclusion!

But I still really have my heart set on Danish middle names. Any name combo suggestions?

I have been to quite a few baby name websites to look at Danish names so at this point, I just want opinions on what you think the best sounding combo is wink1.gif

Some other Danish names I like are: Henrik, Soren, Viggo, Peder (form of Peter)

Thoughts welcome!!

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Is 'Anders Christian' too wordy? Should one of them be a one-sylable name instead?

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#3 of 9 Old 10-07-2011, 11:36 AM

Anders Christian sounds like Hans Christian Andersen to me.  wink1.gif

What about Aksel? That's one of my choice for my little guy but DP isn't on that train! (We're having SUCH a hard time with a boy's name!)

I love Soren but not with Lukas because of the double s in a row. 

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#4 of 9 Old 10-07-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post

Anders Christian sounds like Hans Christian Andersen to me.  wink1.gif

What about Aksel? That's one of my choice for my little guy but DP isn't on that train! (We're having SUCH a hard time with a boy's name!)

I love Soren but not with Lukas because of the double s in a row. 

You know, I hadn't even thought of that until now- but I can totally see it! Thanks for the tip

#5 of 9 Old 10-07-2011, 04:53 PM

I, too, thought it was too similar to Hans Christian Anderson. Here are some other Danish name suggestions: 

Lukas Amleth Jensynn

Lukas Morten Axel

Lukas Hamelt Theodor

HTH!

joy.giflurk.gif

#6 of 9 Old 10-08-2011, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

have you thought about the more traditional spelling of Lucas?  its not as harsh as having a hard K int he middle of the name.   just a thought. ;)

what about Lucas Oliver Anders?  i think that is so cute!  i also like Lucas Henric Anders. both cute!

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#7 of 9 Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 PM

I have to be honest, here. In case you have any close Danish relatives, friends, etc., I would ask them what they think of the middle name, first. In my country I have met plenty of Americans, who have given their kids names that sounds terrible to the natives. Like a name that only a 50-year-old man might have and that everyone now makes fun of. (The name meaning vomit comes to mind. Used to be common, now sounds pretty awful.) Of course parents should feel free to name the child whatever they wish, but I think it makes sense to think hard and ask around before choosing a name that is exotic to you but not to its culture of origin. Of course it is not a huge deal as a middle name. I just remember too many "Is called what? Poor kid!" sort of situations.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#8 of 9 Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessTraveledBy View Post

I have to be honest, here. In case you have any close Danish relatives, friends, etc., I would ask them what they think of the middle name, first. In my country I have met plenty of Americans, who have given their kids names that sounds terrible to the natives. Like a name that only a 50-year-old man might have and that everyone now makes fun of. (The name meaning vomit comes to mind. Used to be common, now sounds pretty awful.) Of course parents should feel free to name the child whatever they wish, but I think it makes sense to think hard and ask around before choosing a name that is exotic to you but not to its culture of origin. Of course it is not a huge deal as a middle name. I just remember too many "Is called what? Poor kid!" sort of situations.

There are also popular baby name lists you could check, if you're interested.  Here's one for Norway: http://www.baby2see.com/names/boysnames_norway.html and one for Denmark: http://babynamefacts.com/popularnames/countries.php?country=DNM

The incredibly true adventures of two girls in love. Also starring DS babyf.gif12/09 and dog2.gif!

#9 of 9 Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A short middle name would flow better.

Lukas Karl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page