Pregnant with Bacterial Vaginosis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted this in ask the experts, but I'd love anyone's input! 

I am 15 1/2 wks pregnant, and I tested for Bacterial Vaginosis. I was prescribed Metroconidazole and have already filled the prescription. When I picked up the prescription, I read the package insert and discovered quite a few possible side effects. Knowing my body, I suspect I could end up dealing with many of these side effects, perhaps even some of the more serious ones. I just tend to have bad luck with mainstream medicine and its side effects. I have been told this is the most effective treatment, but I was wondering if there is something else I can attempt to treat this before taking this medication. Thanks.

#2 of 11 Old 10-07-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

The more I read, the more I do not want to take this. Help!

#3 of 11 Old 10-07-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

metronidazole

#4 of 11 Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 AM

I am very sensitive to medication (like, I've gotten sick from tylenol!) and I have taken this during pregnancy with no problems at all. The thing is, untreated BV is a possible risk for miscarriage and premature labor... not something I felt comfortable taking chances with, especially after losing my last baby at 17 weeks. The risks were worth the benefits, I felt.

There are natural treatments... I can't tell you much about them as I didn't feel comfortable waiting to see what worked. So I just took the antibiotics to wipe out the infection I had and started with really good probiotics to help keep the BV from coming back, which is often does!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with alternatives. They are usually my first resort for many things, but BV scares me! I just wanted it gone ASAP!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 11 Old 10-07-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I know the risks, which is why I'm planning on taking it by Monday if I cannot find an alternative. I am nervous about the risks of the medicine, more so now that I've research for the baby and my other daughter who I am still BF. I suspect I have had BV in the past unknowingly thinking I had a yeast problem, and treated it naturally. I do remember it taking a long time, though I made the tx up myself, so perhaps that's why. Unfortunately, I don't have a long time.

#6 of 11 Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 PM

I would hunt for a good naturalpath or homeopath in your area - even an hour drive might be worth it to get good treatment that does not include major side-effects.  I'll send you some links if you want.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#7 of 11 Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccadoula View Post

I would hunt for a good naturalpath or homeopath in your area - even an hour drive might be worth it to get good treatment that does not include major side-effects.  I'll send you some links if you want.

I completely agree!

#8 of 11 Old 10-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Given that BV can cause major issues for baby like preterm premature rupture of membranes, I'd take it or get on an alternative treatment ASAP. I'd also get another vaginal culture after any treatment was done to make sure it was gone and then retest in 6-8 weeks.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#9 of 11 Old 10-09-2011, 10:06 PM

I am in my first trimester and was just diagnosed with BV. I was given a prescription for the vaginal gel, called metrogel. According to my doctor, it's a little safer for pregnancy (although no tests have been done on pregnant women) because of less of it is absorbed in the bloodstream. It's also slightly less effective than the oral antibiotic. I've heard great things about Fem-dophilus (an OTC probiotic supplement) so I'm going to start taking that and using the gel. If you're very worried about the oral antibiotic, you might want to ask your doctor about the gel.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#10 of 11 Old 10-17-2011, 04:08 PM

i had bv off and on my last pregnancy. i took the pills. i also had gestational diabetes. now i only get bv if i eat sugar. my last pregnancy was the only one where my water broke before labor. and she was born at 38.5 weeks.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#11 of 11 Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

I took the medicine, as the bv was spreading (UTI, anyone?) and I was concerned for the baby and couldn't find anything on my own. That said, I'm pretty sure I still have it. I'm going to be starting a hydrogen peroxide tx today that two women recommended to me which should work much better than the medicine. On a positive note, no ill effects from the medicine. For me, anyway. Apparently you can safely douche with HP because of how it works, but one of the women who contacted me eliminated her bv w/o douching, so I will try that first. It's hard to contemplate douching when it's been drilled into your head NOT to... Here is the abstract for the study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14676737

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page