Which pre-natal vitamins are more popular here? x-posted - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 10-16-2011, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post

Are any of the prenatals listed here available in capsule forms instead of regular horse pills? I take Rainbow Light and cannot STAND the taste of it in my mouth afterwards. I've searched for prenatals in capsule forms for years and have had no success...

Will have to check out some of the ones people here are recommending! Good thread

The New Chapter pills aren't huge, either. I just take a big swig of water, drop the pills in, swallow, and take another swig. I usually don't taste them. If I do, it is kind of a grassy flavor.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#32 of 44 Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 PM

I don't take prenatal vitamins. I hardly ever take any vitamins. I eat healthily and up my fruit and vegetable consumption during nursing and breastfeeding.

But prenatal vitamins don't make sense to me. My iron levels are top without supplementing, and all I get would be constipated from those pills. Some women need help with iron, but usually not in the first trimester. Folic acid is important BEFORE pregnancy and in the first trimester, but has been linked to asthma if taken in the third trimester. Taking too much of  vitamins or some minerals has been shown to be harmful for the mother's health as well. (Calcium and heart problems for instance, or vitamin E).

But maybe that's the European in me speaking, that just doesn't fully grasp the American Love of the Pills.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#33 of 44 Old 10-16-2011, 03:53 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

The GOL have never made me constipated.  They actually have probiotics to help with that as well.  I do think that many people rely too heavily of supps and ignore their diet.  In fact a friend of mine ate complete junk her entire pregnancy and told me that she was taking prenatals so she didnt have to eat healthy.  Yeah, right!   I think many people are just ignorant about diet and health, they have never been taught any better, and it is sad!

And in regards to the Buried Treasure prenatal, I would not take it.  First, no where does it say it is whole foods based, it just says all natural, and that it is more bioavailable because it is a liquid.  Second, it has potassium sorbate in it as a preservative, which you can find more information on this ingredient here http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/705225/POTASSIUM_SORBATE/, I would pay particular attention to the Other RTECS® classifications section heading where it lists many studies that have shown it to have mutagenic effects and has shown it to be a toxin to the entire body.  The juices that it is in are also not organic so you can be certain you are getting some pesticides in there as well.

The idea is good- a liquid vitamin, but this would not be the product I would choose or recommend.

#34 of 44 Old 10-16-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

The GOL have never made me constipated.  They actually have probiotics to help with that as well.  I do think that many people rely too heavily of supps and ignore their diet.  In fact a friend of mine ate complete junk her entire pregnancy and told me that she was taking prenatals so she didnt have to eat healthy.  Yeah, right!   I think many people are just ignorant about diet and health, they have never been taught any better, and it is sad!

And in regards to the Buried Treasure prenatal, I would not take it.  First, no where does it say it is whole foods based, it just says all natural, and that it is more bioavailable because it is a liquid.  Second, it has potassium sorbate in it as a preservative, which you can find more information on this ingredient here http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/705225/POTASSIUM_SORBATE/, I would pay particular attention to the Other RTECS® classifications section heading where it lists many studies that have shown it to have mutagenic effects and has shown it to be a toxin to the entire body.  The juices that it is in are also not organic so you can be certain you are getting some pesticides in there as well.

The idea is good- a liquid vitamin, but this would not be the product I would choose or recommend.

Actually, it does.  Right on the bottle.  My bottle looks different than the ones I've found online.  Not sure why, but it's the same stuff.  I had to chose between regular pills that I would puke up, gummy or chewable vitamins that are synthetic vitamins and have artificial colors and flavors, or the liquid.  So, I chose the liquid.

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#35 of 44 Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post

Actually, it does.  Right on the bottle.  My bottle looks different than the ones I've found online.  Not sure why, but it's the same stuff.  I had to chose between regular pills that I would puke up, gummy or chewable vitamins that are synthetic vitamins and have artificial colors and flavors, or the liquid.  So, I chose the liquid.

Maybe you have a slightly different version than what is online?  The one online is not whole foods based, and it has some ingredients of concern IMO. 

#36 of 44 Old 10-18-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

That is good to know thanks!  Where did you come across that info?  I prefer to get my calcium from my diet anyway.  I used to drink raw goats milk which has more calcium than cows milk until the goats stopped producing and got pregnant:)  Now I drink raw cows milk, eat raw milk cheese and drink kefir and eat yogurt for the probiotics as well as calcium, but of course the kefir and yogurt are not raw so many of the nutrients that I get from raw milk are not in these, but ca still is so thats my main goal besides the probiotics.  I also like my GOL prenatal because it has some probiotics but I would prefer it also had acidophilus (sp?) in it because that probiotic is supposed to be good for helping the body with group B strep which we all know its ideal to test negative for GBS while pregnant, mainly so you dont have Drs and even some midwives trying to force antibiotics on you!

I wish I could give you a good reference! I went searching online and didn't find a lot at a quick glance (so, thanks for asking since I don't want to be saying things without being able to back them up!), but here's a website that talks about heavy metals in oyster shell calcium: http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Patients_Visitors/pcs/nutrition/services/healtheweightforwomen/special_topics/intelihealth1004.aspx

Though, they don't seem to have a problem with calcium carbonate, I thought I'd read somewhere that it pretty much always came from oyster shells.

I used to take OsCal supplements, which really helped when I would get a back ache associated with my period - if I stopped taking them I would get a terrible burning back ache that would prevent me from doing pretty much anything for a few hours. When I took them regularly, I would be fine. Then at some point (I'm always reading about nutrition, I think it was when I was pregnant 6 years ago?) I read that calcium carbonate wasn't as good for you as calcium citrate (for the reasons I listed) so I switched to calcium+magnesium citrate. It didn't help quite as well with the backaches, but definitely better than no calcium. It makes me wonder, though, if I don't absorb the calcium as well as in the carbonate.

I'm not a big milk drinker, so I take the supplements, plus I was taking them for the backache problem and it seemed to me that my body was telling me that was the right thing to do. I have read, though, that when you eat a lot of dairy and/or meat, that you actually need more calcium than you would if you were a vegan (I think I read that in a pro-vegan book) and that in effect, not all of the calcium from dairy foods "counts" because it is also being used to process the dairy protein. Take that as you will. (I am not vegan, I just like to read about different nutritional perspectives.)

My feeling on getting food from vitamins vs. whole foods - it is *always* best to get your vitamins from foods, but at least in this country, our farmers have mistreated the soil and the soil contains much less of different vitamins and minerals than it used to. Eating organic foods helps, because organic farmers generally take better care of their soil. If you eat an all-organic, vegetable based diet, and only free range/wild meat products, and spend a lot of time in the southern sun, you can probably get most if not all of of the vitamins that you need. Last time I was pregnant, I used various sources to figure out how much I should get of a number of different vitamins and minerals, and then I tracked my food intake for a while, and I determined that I needed more of a bunch of things and that taking a supplement put me into more ideal ranges for a number of things, so that's why I personally supplement.

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#37 of 44 Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 AM

I do the Rainbow Light one a day for my current and last 3 pregnancies. I like it because it doesn't make me sick. I buy it at the grocery store City Market/Kroger or on Amazon. Oh I also take the up & up brand of prenatal DHA Omega 3 from Target. Just because I don't get any omegas in my diet (no fish, flax, etc). I take the DHA at night because it seems to make me sleepy for some reason.

~mama to some wonderful kids
#38 of 44 Old 10-22-2011, 03:51 PM

I take NC Perfect prenatal, NC Wholemega, a chlorophyll supp and Raw probiotics. And floradix in the am.

ETA: And cal mag supplements as well. 

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#39 of 44 Old 10-22-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'lee View Post

My feeling on getting food from vitamins vs. whole foods - it is *always* best to get your vitamins from foods, but at least in this country, our farmers have mistreated the soil and the soil contains much less of different vitamins and minerals than it used to. Eating organic foods helps, because organic farmers generally take better care of their soil. If you eat an all-organic, vegetable based diet, and only free range/wild meat products, and spend a lot of time in the southern sun, you can probably get most if not all of of the vitamins that you need. Last time I was pregnant, I used various sources to figure out how much I should get of a number of different vitamins and minerals, and then I tracked my food intake for a while, and I determined that I needed more of a bunch of things and that taking a supplement put me into more ideal ranges for a number of things, so that's why I personally supplement.

thumb.gif  

And I would like to add raw, grass fed milk to your list too!  I prefer goats milk, but cow and sheep work too:)  I also checked with Garden of Life and New Chapter about the calcium.  This is what GOL said about their calcium "RAW Prenatal delivers 125mg (13% DV) of vegan calcium, derived from AlgaeCal RAW – a raw, organic, whole food marine algae complex containing 73 naturally occurring minerals and trace elements."

And this is what New Chapter said "The calcium New Chapter use in our multi-vitamins is derived from algae. Please be assured that New Chapter’s products are part of a compliance program that ensures levels of heavy metals, do not exceed regulatory limits set by the (FDA) and the more stringent specifications of California’s Proposition 65."

So, no oysters in these ones anyway:)  I would guess that other non-organic brands would use inferior ingredients tho.  Like One-A-Day by Bayer uses anti-freezeirked.gif

#40 of 44 Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2anangel View Post

I take NC Perfect prenatal, NC Wholemega, a chlorophyll supp and Raw probiotics. And floradix in the am.

ETA: And cal mag supplements as well. 

I am confused about the NC Wholemega. They have something they call the BASS system (extracts of oregano, rosemary and safflower oil). Aren't oregano and rosemary contraindicated in pregnancy and herbs to avoid! :-(

#41 of 44 Old 01-28-2012, 09:16 AM

I'm taking the NOW foods Prenatal Caps,  I was taking a multi from that brand before I got pregnant that my nutritionist recommended to me. You need take four a day which seems like a lot to remember (I take two with breakfast and two with dinner) but they have never made me feel sick and I think your body breaks down capsules then tablets.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Prenatal-Caps-Multiple-Vitamin-Mineral-240-Capsules/

I'm also taking Carlson fish oils and extra calcium before bed (I'm allergic to dairy) that seems to help when I am having foot cramps at night.

http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-Super-Omega-3-Gems-Fish-Oil-Concentrate-100-30-Free-Soft-Gels/

I also do nettle and rosehip infusions and try to drink raspberry leaf tea which I am not overly fond of.

#42 of 44 Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post

I am confused about the NC Wholemega. They have something they call the BASS system (extracts of oregano, rosemary and safflower oil). Aren't oregano and rosemary contraindicated in pregnancy and herbs to avoid! :-(

Bump my question

#43 of 44 Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post

Are any of the prenatals listed here available in capsule forms instead of regular horse pills? I take Rainbow Light and cannot STAND the taste of it in my mouth afterwards. I've searched for prenatals in capsule forms for years and have had no success...

Will have to check out some of the ones people here are recommending! Good thread

Yup, I take some, NOW foods Prenatal caps :)

#44 of 44 Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM

So I am torn between New Chapter and Garden of Life, leaning more toward new chapter. Currently I'm taking Nature Made Prenatal w/ DHA, but they have preservatives that I'm not comfortable with.

I wondered what sort of Omega/DHA you guys use, or if you use any?

Kat- 27: Artist, Yogi, Wife, Animal lover...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page