Pregnant and Nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas!

Ok...so I'm not pregnant yet...but I'm hoping I am. (Currently 2DPO.) How many of you are here and got pregnant while nursing? Does anyone have any actual statistics on the odds of getting pregnant while nursing?

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
#2 of 17 Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 AM

we did, three times, though two were early losses (ob says due to my age).  this last time, though, i had just nightweaned, which really seemed to help matters. 

i don't know of any research with stats, there's some stuff on kellymom though.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#3 of 17 Old 10-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I did, but my dd was older (about 2 1/2 when I got pregnant) and I had my cycles back since she was 14 months so I had been having regular periods for a while.  We weren't really TTC, I wanted another child and DH wasn't ready yet but he skipped birth control one day and that was all it took!  When I got pg, DD was still nursing several times in the night and often a few times during the day.

How old is your child?  How often does he/she nurse?  Do you have your cycles back yet?  It's my understanding that if you are having cycles, you are ovulating and can get pregnant.  If your cycles aren't back, you could try nightweaning or at least trying to have some long stretches in between nursing sessions and I've heard that can help you get started ovulating again.

Good luck!

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#4 of 17 Old 10-08-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks hildare and blue! My DD is 15 months and I have had my cycles back since she was 9 months old. They have been long so this is only my 5th cycle. She nurses 15-20 times each day and night. I might nightwean her in Jan. If I'm not pregnant yet. I hope it doesn't come to that though!

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
#5 of 17 Old 10-08-2011, 08:03 PM

I don't know what the odds are, but I got pregnant while nursing my 13-month-old (it was a complete surprise, unplanned pregnancy!) He was still nursing quite a lot at the time.

My cycle also came back at 9 months but it didn't come back regular--I only had 2 periods before I was pregnant again. I nursed him all through my 2nd pregnancy and now my 2nd baby is 2 months old and I'm tandem nursing.
#6 of 17 Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM

I got pregnant with my last 2 while I was breastfeeding. My cycles returned when each baby was about 10 or 11 months old. The first time I got pg the first cycle and then had an early loss, but got pg again on the next cycle. With this pg I think I had about 3 cycles before I got pg again. I have no idea what the statistics are, but to be honest I was surprised I got pregnant this last time because I had been having pretty consistently short LPs (like 8 days). 

Baby #3 weaned when I was about 24 weeks or so with baby #4. 

Baby #4 is still nursing a few times a day (usually at nap time and bed time and once or twice during the night), but I'm only 8 weeks. We'll see how long he nurses. 

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#7 of 17 Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM

I am nursing my 21 month old and about 9 weeks. 

It is becoming really hard if he wants to nurse a lot (which he was a little sick with a cold and nursing a ton this week). 

But I hope to continue until he is at least 24 months. 

I didn't have my cycle return until he was 16 months old, and then had 4 very regular cycles, and then I was pregnant!  But I pretty much knew the day I ovulated, and exactly when I was a day late I test and got a BFP.

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#8 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 04:51 AM

DD was 21 months old and pretty much night-weaned but still nursing when I got pregnant as a big fat surprise despite using condoms (yes, every time!) for birth control. I had my cycles back when she was around 8m old so I knew it was possible. I am now 38 weeks and she is still nursing (almost 2 1/2) but not much. It hasn't been the most pleasant to nurse while pregnant, but the comfort level comes and goes. I guess I will be tandeming! I would have been fine with her weaning at 24m but she really didn't want to.

dissertating mom to three

#9 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 AM

I was still nursing pretty heavily when I got pregnant this time around.  My son self-weaned a couple months after my milk dried up... about a month ago now, so around 5.5 months of pregnancy.  My cycles returned waaaaay early (first PP period at exactly 5 months PP), we started "whatevering" around 12 months PP, and I got pregnant around 18 months PP.  It was actually way faster/less problematic than TTC with my first baby.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#10 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM

I have now gotten pregnant 3 times while nursing about as often as you said you were. I did night wean my 2 1/2 year old after I got pregnant this time. The last 2 times I got my period back around 2 years after the birth. The first time birth control caused it to come back sooner. I don't know any statistics although I know a number of other women who have gotten pregnant while breastfeeding.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#11 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM

2 pregnancies while nursing.

My cycles came back at 7/8 months postpartum. Started tring for #2 when first born was 18 months. It took 2 years. #3 happened as a bit of a suprise (thought I was expecting my period next day.) 2nd born was almost 4.

For me, it's all about the lutal phase. Nursing kept mine pretty short, about 7/8 days. I got pregnant when it hit 9 days.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#12 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#13 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies everyone! I just get nervous in the TWW when DD is nursing SO MUCH! I am 5 DPO today, so we'll see!

#14 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Just thought I'd chime in and add that I also got pregnant while nursing... twice. I have to give it up for the ladies who do the tandem thing. I felt horrible weaning this last time around at 15 months but I just couldn't take the pain and it felt so uncomfortable to have him climbing all over me when I was feeling so sore. He's doing ok now though and I've considered letting him nurse again once this baby comes, if he wants to...

#15 of 17 Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 AM

We just discovered that I am pregnant. My guy is 19 months old. I was nursing when we got pregnant with him, too. 

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#16 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 AM

I got pregnant with DS when dd2 was still nursing at 20 months old. My cycles returned at about 10 months. She self weaned at 24 months. I got pregnant this time while nursing a 7 month old. I'm currently 16 weeks. My cycles returned at 4 months.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#17 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 AM

I've heard so many different women's stories about this- I think charting can help you get a sense of whether you are ovulating and how long your luteal phase is.  But you may just not know until you've been TTC for a few months.  

My cycles came back when DD was 8 months old.  I nightweaned her at 14 months.  I got pregnant when she was 15/16 months the 1st month we started trying.  At the time DD was nursing about 5-6 times a day.  For me, it was not difficult to get pregnant while nursing, but the pregnancy did lead to my DD weaning.  My milk supply dropped pretty steadily over the course of the 1st trimester and she was down to nursing 1-2x a day by 10 weeks.  She stopped nursing entirely somewhere around 16 weeks even though I continued to offer periodically  (I'm about 19 weeks now).  Its bittersweet, but I'm excited for her to have a sibling, and I feel at peace with the 18 months or so of nursing she had.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page