What are you putting in your sitz/peri bottle? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright women, it's getting to be birth time now (well almost, it's week 35 for me...) . With my first child I recall using witch hazel in my sitz bath/ peri bottle post-partum. Are there any other more pleasant, less-smelly ideas out there? I would love to know of any potions - that are on the market or recipes I can make up myself- that are tried and true.
Many thanks!

Mommy to one beautiful boy, born 9/28/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used an herbal preparation last time and it was GREAT. We (by "we" I of course mean someone else) cooked up a big pot of it after labor and then strained it into bottles in the fridge. I would keep one smaller bottle in the bathroom and then prepare my peri bottle each time I went to the bathroom with 1/2 herb liquid and 1/2 hot tap water. I did that for a few days until the herbs ran out. Then, at the suggestion of my MW, I used water with about 1/6 or so of topped off with hydrogen peroxide for a while longer (I had minor tears) in the peri bottle, basically until I was feeling mostly healed. Nobody told me this stuff w/ #1 and I wish they had.

You can buy prepared post-partum herbs (I think earth angel mama baby and wishgarden, I noticed when I ordered my birth pool from "in his hands" they have one... and I am sure there are more places, you could check out mountain rose herbs?), and there are recipes online too. Here is the ingredient list my previous MWs gave me (but I think I might skip the garlic... I did last time too... I am sure its very good for you but the thought of the smell makes me feel too gross). I have the herbs all together in a container in my birth supplies box, except rosemary (growing outside) and sea salt (on the counter). So, hoping I can get DH or my mom to just fill our biggest stock pot with water and cook that up for me during/after labor so its ready to go.

1 oz. each of Comfrey Leaf, Comfrey Root, Rosemary Leaf, Calendula and  Lavendar, 1/2 oz. of Golden Seal root, a garlic bulb and sea salt.

dissertating mom to three

User Tag List