Weak Pelvic Floor during Pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since my last birth which was a very fast labor with an almost 3rd degree tear, I have been having problems with my pelvic floor. I was told things would improve if nursing would reduce, which it did.

But now I am 8-9 weeks pregnant, after sex with dh I have once again a feeling that my uterus will drop out (which it won't, but ....) . And I usually have some pink-tinted mucous the next day. Pretty scary every time that happens. I try to rest and start feeling better, until next time.

Are there any tips for me or people with similar experiences that care to share their story? Will this be a misscarriage in the waiting?

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#2 of 3 Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM

I often get a little pinkish/bloodyish discharge after sex.  My midwives told me not to worry, that I have a 'friable' cervix.  It's not being damaged, and as long as it's my only 'symptom' then they have no worries. 

Pelvic floor wise, I went to a Pelvic Health physical therapist after my first and it really helped--I feel like I'm backtracking during the pregnancy though--Go Team Incontinence!  She gave me exercises to do, and measured my strength/endurance with a probe.  We worked on not only the floor, but making sure the whole system was working together.  I had a really strong pelvic floor pre-baby, but was seriously deficient with the other surrounding muscles, which is likely why I ended up having some post-birth issues.

Check out Katy Bowman's advice.  http://www.alignedandwell.com/?s=birth&option=com_wordpress&Itemid=223

She does biomechanics and is one of the people behind the new Squat! Squat! Squat! advice.  Squats do more for the whole system than Kegels, and if you have damage kegels can strengthen parts of your pelvis at the expense of others and actually compound the damage (according to the things I've read anyway, I'm no PT/RN/MD!).  My PT gave me a 'zip it up' exercise to work the muscle between your tummy and your pelvis.  She describes it as the feeling you get when you try to squeeze into tight jeans, and showed me how to press on my pelvis while doing it to see how deep that muscle goes.  It's been pretty helpful.

#3 of 3 Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing your experience. Katy's blog and her squatting tips felt great (i've tried it today right away).

I really hope I can work with my MW to figure out what's going on.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page