Birth Adventure Shares a Helpful Exercise for Expecting Moms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sponsored Content

Emily is a full time mom and owner of Birth Adventure.  During her pregnancy she looked to our community for answers and support, which she found in spades.  She was having pain during pregnancy and looking for a natural solution to help her through.  She discovered a Mothering article on belly dancing for pregnancy.  The practice of belly dancing for pregnancy helped her through her pain pre, during and post partum.  Now, Emily has asked the opportunity to give back to the community that helped her.  Below, she shares her words and a free helpful exercise from the Belly Dancing for Pregnancy DVDs. 

Thank you Emily for sharing this with our moms!

The first image conjured by hearing "belly dance" is not generally that of a woman with an enormously pregnant belly circling her hips in labor.  I would love for that to change!  This video is an excerpt from Maha al Musa’s 2-disc DVD, “Dance of the Womb: A Gentle Guide to Belly Dance for Pregnancy & Birth,” which presents belly dance in its most original form: a birth dance to tone your pelvic muscles and aid them in their work, to soothe and center you in labor and to guide you actively through the process of bringing your baby into the world.  I first watched this excerpt when I was 7 months pregnant, and as soon as I started circling my hips following Maha’s instruction, I knew it was going to be a huge help to my aching back.  I got the DVD direct from Australia and in the final month and a half of my pregnancy went through at least one of the 6 dance chapters each day.  I belly danced through my labor, and this circle movement was the one I kept coming back to.  The motion eased the pain in my back and gave me a point of focus that was loose, calm, and purely physical – essential during labor!  I hope you find this technique as useful in your own pregnancy and birth as I did!

Disc 1 includes a warm-up and 6 dance chapters, targeting specific movements useful during pregnancy & labor – an excellent prenatal workout plus birthing tool!  Disc 2 features a beautiful 50-minute documentary of the instructor’s homebirth (at age 46!) using the belly dance movements, and includes commentary by two midwives on the effectiveness of these movements for both mother and baby.  This Australian production is now available in the US, distributed by BirthAdventure.com.  

Are you interested in trying Dance of the Womb, or purchasing it for a friend?

Starting now through October 31st you can receive 10% Off your purchase at Birth Adventure  when you use the code "MOTHERING" at the check out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page