delete - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

d

#2 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

maybe you should tell your brother? Men have a way of putting things a bit more gently and he's with her. How do you know she doesn't wash her hands at school?

If it makes you feel any better supposedly it's the rinsing of the hands not with soap that gets rid of germs as well as it gets. I wash my hands every 30 minutes and boy my hands are so full of blisters and cracking I wouldn't get them near someone else's baby. I just crawl out of  my skin knowing they aren't washed though.

Is she impoverished? Maybe you could buy some sample soaps or a gift basket and be like oh.. i got an extra one of these why don't you have one too. then again she could be super crunchy and anti soaping :/

but no... I wouldn't let her hold the baby. I would ask questions of someone was just sanitized by NASA standards before not cringing to death if someone was holding my baby though :x

#3 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

d

#4 of 14 Old 10-26-2011, 02:17 AM

I'd come up with an excuse every time . . .AND keep the baby in a carrier as much as possible.  Not only is a little protection, but people seem to leave you alone if you'd actually have to take the baby out of the carrier for them to hold. 

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#5 of 14 Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 AM

I would totally just play the paranoid mom to new baby card and tell her "Oh, it's cold/flu/whatever season and I am so paranoid the baby will get sick, sorry!" and wearing the baby will definitely discourage others from holding!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#6 of 14 Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 AM

yup, and keep baby on boob as much as possible when she is around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion View Post

I would totally just play the paranoid mom to new baby card and tell her "Oh, it's cold/flu/whatever season and I am so paranoid the baby will get sick, sorry!" and wearing the baby will definitely discourage others from holding!

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#7 of 14 Old 10-26-2011, 12:49 PM

My personal hygiene standards are not as high as most people.  When I looked after my niece for a month, my sister explicitly mentioned making sure to wash my hands after I used the bathroom or changed a diaper, and I wasn't offended at all.  It seems like common sense to me, though, that one ups the standards when handling a baby.  And I do actually know how to wash my hands properly, so she didn't have to give me a tutorial.  Nonetheless, it might be worth the awkwardness of explaining what your criteria are for holding your baby.  If you just don't mention a reason but won't let her hold your baby it could make her think that you just don't trust her in general.  That would be offensive to me, whereas asking me to make specific changes in my behavior would not be.  But I'm not her, so I can't really know, can I?

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#8 of 14 Old 10-26-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

d

#9 of 14 Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 PM

Yes, and consider REALLY limiting visitors for awhile anyway-- esp. the ones who stress you out!

I just posted about this on another thread: "La Cuarentena."

Maybe if you see your brother, go to his house so you can leave whenever you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

Thanks everyone, I thought of the carrier thing a little later too, great idea!  This girl is only 16 and pretty immature, so I hope she is mature enough to understand, but I have made up my mind that I will not risk my babys health in order to try not to offend her.  Its my house, my newborn baby, my rules, and she will just have to get over it!   This girl is also completely against breastfeeding and made a rude comment every time I would BF DD, and totally insults my home birth choice every time she sees me, so I really just do not get along with this girl.  I have GOT to stop stressing about how not to hurt her feelings, because she obviously does not care if she hurts mine!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#10 of 14 Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 AM

I kept DD in a wrap and didn't let most people hold her or even touch her.  I asserted that it was what was right for her and that's what I was concerned with.  I know I made some people angry with this approach but it made me feel good to know that I was taking care of my daughter.  I explained to those who forced the issue that DD wasn't an object for admiring but a person who was very vulnerable and that it was my responsiblity to protect her. 

For the people who I did let hold DD on occasion (her grandparents, her aunts and 1-2 of my friends), I set up a standing rule in my house that you a) take off your shoes; b) go wash your hands; and c) wear a surgical mask.  My SIL is really stinky and DH let her know that she needed to wash thoroughly and wear clean clothes (ie: just out of the wash) if she was going to touch DD.  She willingly agreed to our terms. 

We'll follow the same pattern with the new baby. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#11 of 14 Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 AM

~provide holders of the baby with a very large baby blanket to "drape over their clothing in case the baby spits up?"

~just outright say that anyone holding baby has to wash carefully with soap and water, as you've read that that reduces risk.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#12 of 14 Old 11-03-2011, 04:26 PM

When my little one was tiny I was just bitchy and instructed people to wash when they came into the house and specified to use the soap next to the sink and sing the happy birthday song. 

My husbands grandma doesn't understand but she complies. I can't blame her. Germ theory didn't exist until she was long out of school!

If you really are grossed out by this girl do a family only visiting policy and tell your brother specifically NO

#13 of 14 Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 PM

I'm not a germaphobe at ALL but the idea of not washing your hands after the bathroom? uh... gross.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#14 of 14 Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't like other people touching my babies.  It's not even so much about germs; I just don't like new babies passed around.  They're mine and they belong with me!  They're not some sort of trophy.  If visitors care about the baby they can show that by helping my family -- bringing dinner or doing housework.  It's not like I need help taking care of a sleeping baby.  Most people don't want to hold a crying baby after all. 

I'd consider limiting visitors (especially her).  Or just limit her (and your brother if need be) and use the excuse that you're limiting visitors.  I like the family only policy too.  When you're around her make sure you wear the baby.

Honestly, I don't see why a 16 yo that's rude to you and whose only connection to you is that she's your brothers girlfriend needs to have the "right" to hold your baby anyway.   Clean or not.  I also feel like it's kinda rude to ask to hold someone else's baby.  But that's just me...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page