November 2011 Whatever Ladies Havin' Babies! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
those anti-cosleeping ads are awful! makes me wonder what the real agenda is. i wonder who paid for those ads.

your sister has 12 kids?! and she doesn't have a TV show lol.gif

annie posted that status on FB. i yelled at her. hehe

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#122 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 AM

Baby_Cakes - I totally just posted that on FB as well! ha ha ha ha - I couldn't pass up the opportunity to post it when its a joke biglaugh.gif Although due to some degenerative women's health issues that run in my family and are cropping up for me - this probably will be my last. (unless of course I wanted to pop out another one right now, which I don't, and probably couldn't while nursing). 

I hope Finn outgrows it soon too! I remember there was a time when A would like completely empty the contents of her stomach every night. Not as bad as Finn is for you - but man, that was a ton of milk. It would like drip off my body when I stood up and I would have to change her so it's not like I could just resettle her and go to bed.

Mom2one - that is so scary! I'm glad it ended up being nothing to big. A couple years ago I had to take J to the ER because she had croup and could barely breathe. I was freaking out (not as bad as my DH though!) Now I know just to bring them in the cold air, steam, etc. But man, that first time I seriously thought she was gonna die!

JJ - so exciting! I was induced with my first due to not knowing crap at 38w2d and yeah, that ended in an emergency c-section. M was expelled by the stomach flu lol.gif and A I did get my membranes sweeped at 38w1d. I had been having severe prodominal (sp?) labor and couldn't function anymore! I think my body was ready too because I had her a little over 24 hours later. I read about it online (obviously nothing enlightening - just personal stories) and it seemed to only work for women who were ready to go shrug.gif Anyways - I didn't know it was actually bad so I'm glad nothing sinister happened. BUT I am glad I got her out, cause I could barely function.

MW - I hope you find out soon! I would call if I could, but as you can tell above.......I'm not the most patient person!

AFM - working Thur, Fri, and Sat this week. It kinds stinks that I go in so late. I feel like I have to spend all day with the kids, and then as soon as I would be almost putting them all to bed I have to go to work! LOL 
So I don't even get a "break". Oh's well - at least I don't have to figure out daycare for them. 

I think I am going to invest in some 5 hour energy to help see me through.............at least its only part time anyways. 

Oh yeah - Carrie - I get a 50% employee discount! Another reason I love to work there, cause it is expensive forsure =)

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#123 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

those anti-cosleeping ads are awful! makes me wonder what the real agenda is. i wonder who paid for those ads.
I know! I guess it is because a bunch of kids have been dying in WI due to co-sleeping. Maybe they just need to be educated.
your sister has 12 kids?! and she doesn't have a TV show lol.gif
Dude - my grandma had 15 kids, and my great-grandma had 16........they were nuts! Although my mom was the 10th, so I am glad she had alot.....or else I wouldn't be here.......

annie posted that status on FB. i yelled at her. hehe
mischievous.gif

ha ha ha! that's awesome! didn't know I could do that!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#124 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:

JJ ~ So exciting! You are getting so close and with your first, too. energy.gif (That smilie is called energy but it was the closest I could find to a squee excitement.) Whenever I hear or read about a stretch and sweep I cringe. I read something posted on FB yesterday about that and how it's not good. Wish I had bookmarked it. Not that you need to know but I like to have lots of info.
Not much here. Just waiting for some word from Sean. I have no idea where he is or if he's even on his way yet. I think I'll call the FRO today if I find time to see if he has any info.

Oh definitely. It's funny, we left the appt, and DH was like "I know we're saying no to it, but what exactly -is- a stretch a sweep?" He didn't know the difference between a stretch and sweep and just artificially rupturing your membranes. I explained it to him, watching his face while he absolutely cringed. He was like OWWW! That's not natural!  I just kind of laughed, but it's true! I totally see it as an option if you have a reason to be inducing, then as someone said- if your body is almost ready to go, then it can get things jump started. But for someone in my position, where I have no real signs of labor being imminent- it just feels like stirring the pot!

Hopefully you hear about Sean! Being in limbo is not fun. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

JJ - I'm super excited for you!  She's going to be here so soon!!  

I don't know how I would feel in the moment, but I always thought if I went 12 days overdue (or past 42 weeks and had to give birth in a hospital instead of at home) that I'd be ok with an induction.  But again, idk.  Just how I felt during this last pg.

Now that I'm at home, I feel like I'm ok waiting. Now granted, another month seems like forever, but as long as I'm able to rest, and nap during the day, keep myself fed, etc, etc, I still feel like I can put up with this for longer. It would be different though if I was still working, or if like in your case, I also had a toddler I had to keep up with. I have good days, and then I have bad days, but I'm still able to recover from them. And I think a lot of it is knowing too that even at 41w5days, the process to start an induction makes me cringe. Needles/IV's are that scary to me. I would probably consent to a S/S at that point, and maybe cervical ripening gel, but I still can't see myself accepting pitocin or anything yet, as long as baby is still doing well. 

But-- still exciting knowing that she could in theory be here any day! Or... after Saturday. lol. I have a work get together Saturday night, and probably more mat photos on Sat morning or afternoon. Did I post any of those? I don't think I did. 

Our doula came over and took a few photos. The light was really bad by the time we started though, and there isn't really anywhere in our house to take good photos, so she just took a few, and then we're going to take more when we get a chance. But she did get these two sent to me:

392894_10150931864910088_692020087_21693437_1906698026_n.jpg

384219_10150939757440088_692020087_21727321_691663119_n.jpg

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#125 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

i cannot imagine having that many kids. it seems physically impossible and i don't know how anyone could care for that many.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#126 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 AM

OMG - membrane sweeping hurts like a mother! I don't know if I could do it again knowing how bad it hurt nut.gif That is also what I was going to say - I think that probably the people who are completely not ready to have a baby and get it done are probably asking for trouble. However, I was seriously up all night with horrible contractions that weren't do anything. Not quite braxton hicks and not quite "real" contractions. So, no sleep and trying to work and take care of three kids was H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E.

Those pics are so cute! love.gif

#127 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

i cannot imagine having that many kids. it seems physically impossible and i don't know how anyone could care for that many.

I can't imagine that many kids either - HOWEVER, as my mom pointed out. You don't have 15 kids all at once. I think at most there were 2-4 little ones at at time and of course by the time she had her last the oldest was long gone. So really - its just giving up your entire life to having/raising kids. She was Catholic too of course. 

Yeah, the duggars are just crazy because all their kids are still living at home!!! Really - they should have about 7 or 8 gone by now I would think.........

She (my mom's mom) did die at 65 from breast cancer - so I am sure having that many kids didn't help her health all that much. 

#128 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 AM

The oldest Duggar is married and doesn't live at home.  He and his wife have 2 kids already (I believe).  

Unfortunately I think much of the care for the little ones falls on the older kids.  I don't like that.  I don't think kids should be raising their siblings.  Helping out, sure -- I love it when Nora watches Finn for 15 min so I can use the bathroom or shower -- but as far as assigning buddies, having cribs set up in the teenage girls rooms so they can do night time parenting.  I don't like that at all.

I'm one of 7 (though I don't talk to my parents or any of my brothers/sisters except that one) and though it was a large family we were never close.  I'd rather have just a few kids and really be present for them, but I know that's b/c of my own limitations.  I don't think I have the personality to take care of that many people.  I'm too selfish -- and I'm far less selfish than I used to be.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#129 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 AM

JJ those pics are precious!!  Your DH is so cute! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#130 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

jj ~ love the pics. yeah, a membrane sweep hurts like you could not imagine! my OB tried to do it for me when i was 40w with E but i made him stop because it hurt so bad. definitely not something that should be routinely offered or done. i would only consent to it again as a last ditch effort to avoid induction if that was necessary and imminent.

btw, 41w5d isn't really overdue when you consider that the average length of a pg allowed to progress without any interference is 41w2-3d. how do your dates line up with your hcps? are they the same?

I called the FRO. Can you believe he told me he doesn't keep up with those who are going on R&R? His job is supposed to be keeping families informed. WTH? eyesroll.gif

#131 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I called the FRO. Can you believe he told me he doesn't keep up with those who are going on R&R? His job is supposed to be keeping families informed. WTH? eyesroll.gif

irked.gif  WTH indeed!!??

I busted out the jumperoo for Finn today for the first time.   For some reason I still think he's like a week old and I refused to believe he would even know what to do.  OMG.  He immediately started playing with the toys and bouncing and laughing!  Poor kid must have been so bored on the floor.  LOL!!

384476_10150940525860387_579845386_21734015_1824650742_n.jpg

#132 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:

The oldest Duggar is married and doesn't live at home.  He and his wife have 2 kids already (I believe).  

Unfortunately I think much of the care for the little ones falls on the older kids.  I don't like that.  I don't think kids should be raising their siblings.  Helping out, sure -- I love it when Nora watches Finn for 15 min so I can use the bathroom or shower -- but as far as assigning buddies, having cribs set up in the teenage girls rooms so they can do night time parenting.  I don't like that at all.

I'm one of 7 (though I don't talk to my parents or any of my brothers/sisters except that one) and though it was a large family we were never close.  I'd rather have just a few kids and really be present for them, but I know that's b/c of my own limitations.  I don't think I have the personality to take care of that many people.  I'm too selfish -- and I'm far less selfish than I used to be.

That's true - the oldest is married and has at least one kid (I haven't heard about the second, but you are probably right). I am just saying that I bet they have at least 4 or 5 kids that are age 20 or older. It seems like some of them could be moving along by now lol.gif I mean, I think every one of my siblings moved out and back in (except me actually) a few times, but it is a little weird that none of them move out at all.....

I am one of 6 and my family is super close. I, personally, am closer to some of my siblings but as a whole family unit we get together all the time. I actually think it is a lot of fun, and if I had the energy I would love to have 6 kids (which would be seven including my adopted stepdaughter) but I am really feeling more and more like this is my last. 

I wonder what makes some families closer than others? It seems like even families with just two kids are sometimes not that close..........although, if I just had ONE brother or sister I might not talk to them at all if I didn't like them! 

#133 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Sheesh MW - sorry! That is ridiculous! angry.gif

Carrie - that's funny about the bouncer! I put Arianna in it waaaaay to early because I got a good deal on it so I bought it earlier than I normally would have. She really does love it though - she spends at least 30 min in it a day. Obviously not usually all at once, but 5 min here and there really really helps!

#134 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

I wonder what makes some families closer than others? It seems like even families with just two kids are sometimes not that close..........although, if I just had ONE brother or sister I might not talk to them at all if I didn't like them! 

I think it has to do with good parenting and good environment.  My parents went thru a lot - mental illness and divorce -- and were very caught up in their own lives.  My sister and I were like oil and water personality wise, fought constantly (physically at times) and my mom wouldn't get involved on purpose.  I lost a lot of respect for my mom during my teenage years.  She had never done anything to earn it back IMO.

O/T but once I had kids I thought it would change, and it really didn't.  She was less interested and less involved than I ever could have imagined.  As of now, we haven't spoken in over a year.  Closer to 2.

The one "rule" I want in my family regarding kids realtionships is that you guys can fight, you can disagree, you don't have to like each other.  But when it comes down to it you have each other's backs.  No matter what.  If someone is giving your brother or sister trouble, you're on their side.  Far too often when I was growing up, I felt alone and had nobody on my side.  It was hard.  We really all broke apart b/c of people taking sides (including my mom) and not standing up for anyone.  

#135 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 01:05 PM

JJ -  I will say that if you are getting close to 41 or so weeks - sometimes an internal is good to have for the doc/midwife to gauge how likely an induction would be to work (to get your bishop score) that said - I had a pretty sorry bishop score the day before I sort of self induced. FX you go into labor on your own before any of that stuff comes up. I reallly think any of the induction stuff is unlikely to work unless you are at least somewhat ready. We tried just about everything with DS and nothing worked. Never had a sweep as I wasn't dilated enough to be comfortable with the idea, and didn't do castor oil or the breast pump (which did work to bring on or establish labor with DD).

I have just the one sister and I think alot of our closeness or lack of it has to do with 1) age gap - she's nearly 7 years younger and 2) family dynamic growing up. We just were never encouraged to be really close. My parents are each one of 5. Dad is close with all of his full blood siblings ( 4 kids from 1 marriage, one from her second) even though they are are geographically spread apart. Mom is not close with any of her siblings. but she is one of 5 kids with 4 different bio-dads, though they were all pretty much raised by my Gran's last husband. I don't know if that has something to do with it, or not.

Mom2One - that is scary about Dax. Have you got a NoseFrieda? those are awesome for nose sucking.

Gabe is feeling better - did holiday pictures this morning which we'll post when we get the CD. Gabe wasn't too cooperative, so they are mostly just Norah. (who was awake and happy most of the shoot).

MW- hope you hear about your DH soon!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#136 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 03:44 PM

Whew! You ladies have been busy! And DD and I have been sleeping the day away since I switched my work schedule! I think DH must be keeping her up late because she is sleeping a lot longer during the day now. Need to talk to him about that. I'm trying to not get too involved and just let him figure it out but when she sleeps too much with me, she doesn't eat enough.

akind1, where did you go to get pics done? I need to take DD.

Annie, I know what you mean about doing stuff all day and then having to work. That's how my days are when DD has a dr appt and then I have to work 4 PM-midnight. sleepytime.gif

MW, any word yet?

Baby_Cakes, I can't believe Finn is big enough for the jumper! I will need to get mine from my mom's house to try out with DD.

AFM, DD is officially rolling over now. Her babysitter said she had done it over there but I hadn't seen it. Yesterday she was playing on her mat and I needed to take a shower for work. I told her not to do anything crazy while I was gone and when I came back out a few mins later, she had rolled over! Finally downloaded all the pics from when DD was born. Boy was that hard going through those pics from that day and reliving all those emotions. Lots of tears from me. But I'm glad we documented all of that.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#137 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

no news yet. i may call the vfro tomorrow and tell him to find out. someone must know whether or not he's on his way.

i need to get something like that bouncer for D. he loves to stand but holding him up all the time is exhausting. i had a saucer thingie for E but then thought those things were not good for babies so didn't get a new one.

i am not close to my family or siblings but we aren't estranged, either. i care deeply for most of them even though we rarely speak. i do have a strained relationship with my sister. i think that was from parenting. my sister is the youngest and she has a different father who was never around. my parents divorced when i was 4 and she was still a baby, less than 1yo. my mom kind of spoiled her and didn't do anything to promote a strong, close relationship between us.

i'd like my kids to be close but i really don't have any clue how to foster that. i read a blog about that today. one of the things that struck me in it was the idea that siblings have more rivalry problems when they are forced to share and don't have things that are just theirs. i've been having trouble with that lately. I have always believed in letting my kids have their own things that they do not have to share. But the boys fight over toys a lot and Ethan sometimes won't let Kellen have something just because. Ya know, like he doesn't even know the thing exists until he sees Kellen with it and then declares that he was using it and wants it. I can't stand that. And then, of course, Kellen wants everything that Ethan has, especially if Ethan doesn't want to share it, and there's no distracting Kellen or getting him to accept a substitute anymore.

I'm glad Gabe is feeling better. I've had this weird on and off mild nausea for 2-3 days now. If I didn't know it was impossible, I'd swear I was pg. It feels exactly like mild morning sickness. It waves over me without any warning. I don't feel bad, though, just get the nausea. shrug.gif

#138 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:

I think it has to do with good parenting and good environment.  My parents went thru a lot - mental illness and divorce -- and were very caught up in their own lives.  My sister and I were like oil and water personality wise, fought constantly (physically at times) and my mom wouldn't get involved on purpose.  I lost a lot of respect for my mom during my teenage years.  She had never done anything to earn it back IMO.

O/T but once I had kids I thought it would change, and it really didn't.  She was less interested and less involved than I ever could have imagined.  As of now, we haven't spoken in over a year.  Closer to 2.

The one "rule" I want in my family regarding kids realtionships is that you guys can fight, you can disagree, you don't have to like each other.  But when it comes down to it you have each other's backs.  No matter what.  If someone is giving your brother or sister trouble, you're on their side.  Far too often when I was growing up, I felt alone and had nobody on my side.  It was hard.  We really all broke apart b/c of people taking sides (including my mom) and not standing up for anyone.  

hug2.gif I've been through rough patches with my mom and I wasn't really super close to her through my teenage years, but she is definitely a big part of my/mykids life. I couldn't imagine her not! OTOH, I have almost no relationship with my DH's parents. Not bad, not good........just non-existent. Don't really know why shrug.gif

It's interesting what you say about having each other's back - because that is one thing my family definitely does have! We can talk crap about each other (and we do lol.gif) but as soon as ANYONE else does we are all over it. 

It seems crazy to me that some families aren't like that. I hope my kids are - I don't really know how to instill it, since it just came so naturally to my family....

#139 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

I have just the one sister and I think alot of our closeness or lack of it has to do with 1) age gap - she's nearly 7 years younger and 2) family dynamic growing up. We just were never encouraged to be really close. 

That's funny - because the sister I am closest to is 10 years older than me! Granted, we didn't really know each other at all until she was 25 and I was 15 (I was somewhat mature for my age). And then over the past ten years it has just grown into being a really close relationship. She is nuts though! :P 

#140 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:

i am not close to my family or siblings but we aren't estranged, either. i care deeply for most of them even though we rarely speak. i do have a strained relationship with my sister. i think that was from parenting. my sister is the youngest and she has a different father who was never around. my parents divorced when i was 4 and she was still a baby, less than 1yo. my mom kind of spoiled her and didn't do anything to promote a strong, close relationship between us.
i'd like my kids to be close but i really don't have any clue how to foster that. i read a blog about that today. one of the things that struck me in it was the idea that siblings have more rivalry problems when they are forced to share and don't have things that are just theirs. i've been having trouble with that lately. I have always believed in letting my kids have their own things that they do not have to share. But the boys fight over toys a lot and Ethan sometimes won't let Kellen have something just because. Ya know, like he doesn't even know the thing exists until he sees Kellen with it and then declares that he was using it and wants it. I can't stand that. And then, of course, Kellen wants everything that Ethan has, especially if Ethan doesn't want to share it, and there's no distracting Kellen or getting him to accept a substitute anymore.
This is interesting......I don't remember EVER fighting over toys really. We didn't have a bunch growing up and the only sibling I really "played with" was my younger brother. It was a lot of dolls (playing family), barbie dolls,  and a lot of imagination! Not much room for actual rivalry. 

Anyways - my kids do that exact same thing lol.gif

I've had this weird on and off mild nausea for 2-3 days now. If I didn't know it was impossible, I'd swear I was pg. It feels exactly like mild morning sickness. It waves over me without any warning. I don't feel bad, though, just get the nausea. shrug.gif
OMG! This is what I keep getting over and over. It gets more mild each time I get it - but yes! I will have 2-4 days that literally feel like I have mild to moderate morning sickness and then it will just go away........it is driving me crazy!
My kids seem to keep getting something similar too (lose appetite and get the runs for a couple days) I wonder what it is? Maybe the stomach virus is mutating a little bit? 

#141 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Annie, I know what you mean about doing stuff all day and then having to work. That's how my days are when DD has a dr appt and then I have to work 4 PM-midnight. sleepytime.gif

I hope we survive! My other kids don't let me sleep much......

AFM, DD is officially rolling over now. Her babysitter said she had done it over there but I hadn't seen it. Yesterday she was playing on her mat and I needed to take a shower for work. I told her not to do anything crazy while I was gone and when I came back out a few mins later, she had rolled over! Finally downloaded all the pics from when DD was born. Boy was that hard going through those pics from that day and reliving all those emotions. Lots of tears from me. But I'm glad we documented all of that.

yay for rolling over! I was looking through your pics on FB and I actually went back to the July thread (since I wasn't really following so much back then) and read your story. You are a strong momma!!! Ava is so lucky to have you love.gif

#142 of 277 Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

Thanks Annie. You know, it's funny, I never know quite how to respond when people say how strong I am. I certainly don't feel strong! And I didn't feel strong when I was going through it right after her birth! I was a crying mess. One of my friends' little girls was recently diagnosed with leukemia and she posted this quote on FB the other day "You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have. -unknown" and I can totally relate to that. Looking at those pics are really hard though. It was excruciating going through it at the time but now it makes me sad because my sweet Ava that I know now is that little baby and I hate that she must have felt so scared and alone. I can see it in her face the way she was crying in the pics when she was in the transport carrier. bawling.gif

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#143 of 277 Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

I've been wondering when babies usually start rolling over. I am worried that D is not laying down enough to practice that. I rarely put him on the floor because the first 2 times I did K stepped on him. We've been over and over being careful, watching where you are going and not running in the house but K just doesn't get it.

I've also been wondering what to do if you have to stop breastfeeding at 6+ months. Would you still need to give baby formula or can you stick with regular food at that point, except that you aren't supposed to give a baby cow milk before 1 year? That's just something I've been thinking about because I'm pretty sure people who formula feed are told to continue it for a year so I was wondering why breastfeeders are told they can stop at 6 months. Or do I have that wrong?

annie ~ I think if the closeness to and protection of family comes naturally, you don't need to worry about knowing how to instill it. It will just happen for you. Since I didn't learn it growing up and don't really have that closeness to my family, it don't think it comes naturally to me so I can't just pass it on to my kids without thinking about it. KWIM? I do something similar to what Carrie does. I don't tell them they have to like or even love each other but they do have to take care of each other.

I don't remember fighting over toys, either. I do remember my mom making my brother take me a long when he went to hang out with his friends. I'm sure that annoyed the heck out of him but I worshiped my older brother and wanted to do everything with him. That's probably why I still feel a strong connection to him even though we aren't really close. I've always said that there are two people (besides my husband and kids) that I know I will cry over when they die, my dad and my brother.

I know I missed something but now I can't go back to the next page to reread the posts. I hate that.

Annie ~ I sort of know what you mean about being told you are strong. Not the same thing but I hear that a lot with Sean being deployed so much. I don't feel strong at all. Our lives pretty much fall apart when he's gone. I just muddle through. What choice do I have?

Oh, I get it a lot when people learn that I've had 2 home births, too. My answer to that is that I'm the opposite of strong or brave. I have my babies at home because I'm too scared to go to the hospital. lol.gif There's more to it than that but that's a quick and easy answer to quip off.

#144 of 277 Old 11-17-2011, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I remember one other thing I wanted to say.

annie ~ Maybe we've got some stomach virus. A few people at TKD have had something to varying degrees. Ethan and I both had that one time last week or the week before when we threw up once. Last night Ethan had diarrhea for no apparent reason.

#145 of 277 Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 AM

This is just my thoughts, I could be wrong and have no proof.  But I think the 6 month thing for nursing is geared toward Moms who WOH full time.  You figure they will probably get 3 months off, and then head back to work where they'll "try pumping" and push to make it to 6 months.  The few moms that I know that went back to work full time (moms I know IRL, not any of you guys) all switched to formula at some point, or at least supplemented while they worked and nursed when they were home.  It didn't take long for them to lose most of their supply w/o pumping or nursing on demand.  One of the moms I'm talking about was a huge advocate of CIO as well, so there was no nursing thru the night either.  Long story short, yes, at 6 months babies still most definitely need formula.

I don't think we fought over toys...I'm pretty sure I was a brat and demanded my own of anything my sister had.  She got a cabbage patch doll, I needed one, too.  She got Strawberry Shortcake, I needed Lemon Meringue.  I bet it really REALLY annoyed her.  She could never have anything of just her own.  I always had to copy her.  LOL.

#146 of 277 Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 AM

I'm almost certain that babies that stop nursing at 6 months are given formula. I think that 6 month guideline is to try to encourage women to just nurse for 6 months, kind of like what Baby_Cakes is saying. I'm sure you've heard the saying that any breastmilk is better than no breastmilk so women are encouraged to just do it for a few days or weeks even if they don't think they can do it long term. My sister is one of those women that didn't want to pump when she went back to work so even though she had a great nursing relationship established w/her 2nd DD, she weaned her and put her on formula when she went back to work. I just can't fathom it. Oh and there's now formula for babies that are past 1 yr old so some families don't even switch to cow's milk at 1 yr. They switch to the toddler formula. I think my sister gave her older DD the toddler formula until she was 2.

MW, yeah it's kind of like when people say you are so strong and brave when your DH is deployed. What choice do you have? I mean I guess you always have a choice just like I technically have a choice but I do the things that I do for Ava because I feel like that is the best thing for her. I think you all do the same for your kids as well, it's just in this instance, the stakes are higher. I know that I have a huge level of respect for you specifically to be a "married single parent" during all of your DH's deployments and school assignments.

Oh I meant to tell you guys a convo that I had with one of DD's cardiologists the last time she was in the hospital. They did bloodwork before her heart cath and after the procedure, the dr was going over everything with us and he said that DD's iron level was a little low. He asked me what she ate and I said breastmilk only. I fully expected him to start down the supplement w/formula path but all he said was that I need to make sure I'm still taking my prenatals and to start taking the extra iron that I was taking during my pregnancy so that she would get it from my milk. How awesome is that?!?

#147 of 277 Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

that is awesome, Annie! It's kind of weird but it seems that specialists who deal with babies in hospitals know that plain colostrum and breastmilk are the best thing for babies. It's pediatrician and other doctors who get free samples from formula companies that don't seem to know or care all that much. JMHO

OK, so if something were to happen to me and I didn't have enough stored milk, D would have to have formula until he is 1 year old. Hm...I don't really get the 6 month thing then. That doesn't seem to be how it's presented, or at least how people are understanding it. It seems that people think there's no point in breastfeeding after 6 months. I'm certain I've read that somewhere. People, including doctors, at least use to believe that that there was no nutritional value to breastmilk beyond 6 months, when they assumed a baby should be eating solids.

The reason this came up for me is because I stopped being able to collect much with my milk saver. I was getting maybe an ounce at the most each time so I quit using it. It wasn't worth the hassles at that point. I've got some milk in my freezer but I have no idea how long it would last since I've never measured how much a baby eats in a day. Plus, I think it would all be too old by 9 months if the last was collected when he was 3 months, right? I'm wondering if I should continue to collect what I can even if it is just a tiny bit.

And, yeah, I always have a choice. I could leave my dh and try to find someone new. I could have an affair. I could send my kids to daycare and preschool and school. But then there are headaches and hardships that go along with all of those things, too. I choose to do what I do because I think it's what's best for me, my kids and my family, just like we all do. Thinking in terms of having choices helps me to feel better about what I'm doing. I mean, technically, I have a choice of whether or not to even feed D. I could choose to not feed him at all. So, when he's fussing and wants to be fed yet again and I'm annoyed, I remember that it's my choice.

Carrie ~ I actually try as much as possible to get the boys the same toys so they won't fight over one. They mostly fight over Lego people, of which I can't tell is who's, and guns, which are all broken but still the coolest toys ever. eyesroll.gif

#148 of 277 Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 AM

MW, if something happened to you and D was still nursing, I would pack up my freezer surplus and drive it down to him...less than 8 hrs from me to you! Just make sure someone else knows that and could get in touch w/me on FB or here. I'm serious, o.k.?

The last two times I've eaten eggs for breakfast, I've gotten sick about 30 mins later and stayed sick all day. I ate eggs this morning and within 30 mins, I feel nauseated, have chills and feel just ugh. Allergy? No clue but I know what I'm not eating for breakfast anymore. For a little bit I thought I was getting mastitis because I can't pump as often in my new work position but I took my temp and no fever. shrug.gif

#149 of 277 Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

MW, if something happened to you and D was still nursing, I would pack up my freezer surplus and drive it down to him...less than 8 hrs from me to you! Just make sure someone else knows that and could get in touch w/me on FB or here. I'm serious, o.k.?

love.gif Thank you. That gives me a great peace of mind. I was just thinking that I need to write up a will/living will that includes what to do with my kids other than just that they'd stay with their dad, obviously. I should write specific instructions for Sean about school and care and feeding and such or else he probably wouldn't know since he's never here. How sad is that?

Ok, everyone on here who is also on FB knows that Annie has offered to give D her milk if something should happen to me so you all can help make sure that happens. I am also going to tell my parents.

Annie ~ You probably wouldn't even need to drive it down. Both my parents live in VA, one in Fairfax and the other in Crewe, which isn't very far from you. Either one of them could swing by and pick it up on the way down here.

Interesting about the eggs. Have there been any reports of contaminated eggs lately? Maybe you should report that to someone, unless others are eating the same eggs and not getting sick.

I've been making bacon and eggs for breakfast every morning for the past week. Trying to get back into the swing of cooking and getting as much protein in as possible first thing since I'm working on cutting out gluten and dairy and don't want to sub with soy. Washing dishes is a major PITA!

#150 of 277 Old 11-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Too much to catch up on, so I'll just jump in on the formula/milk/breastmilk thing. 

I believe the six month marker is quite an old marker. It -used to be- what all the major health organizations recommended breastfeeding to- but they have switched that over so that as far as I know, every single major health organization recommends breastfeeding until at least one year. I think it's just one of those where as they get more information, they're able to correct their recommendations-- at one point, they thought it was ok for babies to receive cows milk at 6 months, but now they know that it does hurt their gut still at that poinbt because they can't digest it properly, and also they need more nutrients than it provides. Also, like one of you mentioned, sorry can't remember who, at one point they thought that the health benefits stopped a lot earlier, but now they're determining through new studies that the benefits last until at least a year.   Anyways- so what I'm saying is that 6 months is an old marker-- and now "one year" should be used in place of that. Obviously, any bit of breastmilk a baby can get is still beneficial, but yes, they do recommend breastfeeding until at least one year, and if mama needs to stop before that, then the baby should be switched onto a formula, since baby is neither ready to digest cows milk, nor do they get enough nutrients from it. It's kind of why you don't have to worry about balancing your baby's diet when you're starting solids, the same wya yo do your own-- because they're just learning to eat, but the breastmilk ideally, or formula, is still providing the major nutrition. 

Ok , I'mma stop rambling now :)

Annie-- that is WONDERFUL about the specialist. I wish more people were like that!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page