Subchorionic Hemorrhage/Hematoma? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-06-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good evening everyone,
I woke up yesterday morning with brown bleeding, and was informed this morning that I have a moderate sized subchorionic hemorrhage, which is currently 2cm larger than baby. I am currently 8 weeks, and I was sure I was miscarrying, but a little heart beat was seen. I'm very worried, as I know it can go both ways, but I really wanted to hear outcomes of those who had a SCH. Good, bad, I just need to know what I'm in for, here.

Is there anything I can do to help? I've seen some recommendations about baby aspirin, but I'm hesitant to take any pharmaceuticals/OTC medicines.

Also, can you still see a midwife for pregnancy care (I originally intended to UC) with a SCH? Are you classified "high risk"?

Thank you so much for your help.
#2 of 3 Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 AM

I had a small SCH that was diagnosed at 8 weeks.  I had some light spotting from 8-9 1/2 weeks and had an ultrasound at 8 weeks as I was very worried.  The spotting completely cleared up and by my 12 week u/s they didn't see the SCH anymore. 

My midwives never suggested that this made me high risk.  In fact their comment was that this usually clears up by 12 weeks and try not to worry about it.  I also talked with a dr. friend and she said that SCH's are incredibly common.

I've had other spotting throughout this pregnancy that turns out to be placenta previa.  It seems like this is a coincidence but I have read that in cases where there is a SCH, additional scans often find other complications in later pregnancy.  BUT, that's also the fact of these scans and a medicalized view of pregnancy-- if you keep looking you'll find potential problems and complications.  So, I'd take that finding with a huge pinch of salt. 

I understand that you are worried.  It's really scary to see that blood during pregnancy!  From my research, it seems like having an SCH only slightly increases your chances of having a miscarriage.  And, seeing a heartbeat is the best indicator that you have a viable pregnancy.  I found lots of threads here on mothering that spoke to experiences with SCH's, and spotting that turned out ok.  Maybe those can offer you some additional encouragement.

Good luck and hang in there. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#3 of 3 Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 AM

Any updates, OP?

Here's my story, so far: I went for my 7 week ultrasound a few days ago, and they found a subchorionic bleed.  I had a pretty big gush of blood at 4 weeks, and I was positive I was starting my period and had a chemical pregnancy.  But after the initial gush, the bleeding stopped, and I've spotted lighter and lighter brown ever since.  I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks to check what was going on, but the tech wasn't able to see anything unusual.  I went back 2 weeks later to check growth and to see if any abnormalities were visible.  I have 2 large-ish hematomas on either side of the amniotic sac, but the baby has a heartbeat and is measuring perfectly.  I didn't get the measurements of the hematoma, which is probably a good thing, as I would just worry more.  The tech also said she was concerned that there appeared to be some bleeding into the sac.

I've found lots of info on SCH, and most of it is reassuring.  I'm taking vitamin E to help strengthen the placenta/membranes in addition to my usual prenatals and fish oil.  I can't find anything about bleeding into the sac, except for one post on Baby Center that talks about flecks of blood in the amniotic fluid.

I've been put on pelvic rest, but I've seen some evidence that that is only marginally helpful.  But I've also seen some women who were put on full bed rest, and there is also evidence that bed rest can help heal a SCH.  I'm erring on the side of caution and avoiding intercourse, heavy lifting, and any strenuous activity/exercise.

My doctor gave me an 80% chance of not having any further complications, but I'm still really nervous because I miscarried twins this summer at 16 and 17 weeks. 

I would also love to hear any BTDT stories, good or bad.

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page