hibiscus tea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-09-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

anyone drnk this in the first trimester?

i'm 8 weeks and recovering from hg. i am craving cold sweet hibiscus tea and i've read conflicting things about it.

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 11-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I drank it during my last pregnancy, but I don't remember about the first tri. I was due in July and drank tons of iced hibiscus tea to cool off around then. What conflicting things have you read? 

The only tea I really avoid is licorice because I know it can cause contractions. Which is sad because I love licorice and it's added to a lot of blends because it's naturally sweet. I know that hibiscus is added to a lot of blends as well for the color and tartness. 

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#3 of 8 Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, mama. i've read that it can cause uterine contractions and the flower has been used traditionally as a form of birth control. i actually had some last week (drank a huge glass of iced hibiscus tea with sugar--it was so good and really settled my stomach) however, I did notice slight crampiness in my uterus afterward. :(

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#4 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 AM

I had just bought a big jar of tea that contains Hibiscus. I loved it - just the right amount of tartness to counter the yuckies. However... after reading this post I started researching and I think the jar is going away until summer (didn't read anything about BF problems). I hadn't realized how many medicinal properties were in hibiscus and I'm trying to avoid anything I'm not 100% sure about. I'm drinking a Rooiboos and red berry mix right now that is hitting a pretty good spot taste wise.

#5 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

roobios and red berry sound good---is there a certain brand you like?

#6 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM

For a tart/fruity iced beverage the celestial seasonings "zingers" have always been a hit with me. I make a concentrate to keep in the fridge and then mix with seltzer water for a fizzy treat. You could easily just serve it as iced tea though. 

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#7 of 8 Old 11-22-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

ooh thanks! do you shop at TJ's? Any faves there? Just asking b/c we are traveling to my  families (I hope) and stopping only by a TJ's....

#8 of 8 Old 11-23-2011, 01:12 PM

The Roiboos and red berry is a Tetley tea (the ones in the little cans that are so great for crafts when you are done). Another favorite tetly tea for me is the Mojito (mint and lime) which is very refreshing.

Tags
Pregnancy

User Tag List