Pregnant & laid out flat with a cold - any suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My toddler came down with a cold last week, and surprise, surprise, it's moved on to me now. My sinuses are very clogged up and I've got a pounding head and scratchy throat, along with the achey bones that are par for the course. I'm not a huge fan of OTC remedies, but I can't take any of those now anyway since I'm pregnant. My head is so clogged up, I can barely think. I'm taking an extra vitamin C supplement in addition to my pre-natal, but I haven't really been able to use the neti pot because I'm so clogged up that nothing goes through.

Anyone have any suggestions for alleviating my symptoms and helping to speed this cold along?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_ View Post

My toddler came down with a cold last week, and surprise, surprise, it's moved on to me now. My sinuses are very clogged up and I've got a pounding head and scratchy throat, along with the achey bones that are par for the course. I'm not a huge fan of OTC remedies, but I can't take any of those now anyway since I'm pregnant. My head is so clogged up, I can barely think. I'm taking an extra vitamin C supplement in addition to my pre-natal, but I haven't really been able to use the neti pot because I'm so clogged up that nothing goes through.

Anyone have any suggestions for alleviating my symptoms and helping to speed this cold along?

I don't know where you live, but here, Pseudophederine is prescription only and it's safe in pregnancy. My midwife prescribes it for all her patients with the flu or terrible colds. I have had to take it much of this pregnancy because of my sinus obstruction (completely unable to breath through my nose). It has been wonderful. The key is moderation of course, and lots of water, food on your stomach and of course don't take it all the time. But occasionally, I have found it to be a LIFE SAVER. Especially with my asthma and allergies on top of all the hormones...

But if you're against using any drugs, maybe try some sort of nasal solution and COPIOUS amounts of vitamin c? I seriously think vitamin c works as an antibiotic for viruses and it's hard to overdose on it...if you do, the worst that can happen is diarrhea. When I was pregnant with my 2nd, I got the flu and my midwives told me to take vitamin C like crazy- it really sped up the healing process of the virus and it ran its course much quicker than if I hadn't taken it. I always thought it only worked as a preventative. Apparently it works great during colds too!

Hope that helps and good luck! I of all people completely know what you're going through- being sick and pregnant with a toddler is really tough. Hugs!

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 PM

I just got over a headcold my partner brought home for me. I don't use OTC's ever and try to heal naturally. I ate about 4 clementines and drank 3 mugs of warm organic chicken broth daily for three days and now I'm symptom free!  I also napped a lot, which helped a lot. 

Tags
Pregnancy
User Tag List