Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   I'm Pregnant (http://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/)
-   -   Womb Dancing for Pregnant Mamas, by Kara Maria Ananda: Doula, author, educator, and founder of the Conscious Birth Emissary Training (http://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/1337103-womb-dancing-pregnant-mamas-kara-maria-ananda-doula-author-educator-founder-conscious-birth-emissary-training.html)

Chris Elias28 11-23-2011 01:37 PM

Sponsored by Birth Adventure

Womb Dancing for Pregnant Mamas

By Kara Maria Ananda 

Bio: 

Kara Maria Ananda is the founder of the Conscious Birth Emissary Training, author of "The Sacred Nature of Birth: Natural Wisdom for Conscious Birthing", and an experienced doula, birth educator, and perinatal bodyworker. She is the mother of two boys: an 11 year old and a new baby. She is passionate about sharing positive inspiration and resources for women and families today. Find out more about her books, courses, and consultations at www.birthemissary.com

Dance of Womb Pic.png

"I danced my way through the pregnancies and births of my two boys.  

As a Conscious Birth Emissary, doula, and mother, if I were to share one technique or practice that most benefited me in having healthy, happy pregnancies and births, it would be conscious dance.

Dance is a universal practice utilized by childbearing women around the world since ancient times, particularly the spiraling and circling of the pelvis.  Dance can help to facilitate a healthy labor by encouraging the baby to be in an optimal position for birth.  It encourages the mother to be upright so gravity can work with her during labor.  It also simultaneously relaxes and tones the muscles and ligaments of the whole body, especially the back, abdomen, and pelvis.  Dance also stimulates the release of endorphins and oxytocin through the body, increasing one's mood, relieving stress, and counteracting any pain or discomfort in the body. 

During the pregnancy of my second child, I was delighted to get my hands on a copy of Maha Al Musa's DVD Dance of the Womb: A Gentle Guide to Belly Dance for Pregnancy and Birth.  Maha is a gifted belly dance teacher, doula and mother of three from Australia who has utilized these techniques herself in her own natural homebirths.  I am grateful to have discovered this DVD to recommend to pregnant moms today as a great resource for learning simple belly dance techniques that can greatly benefit prenatal health and efficient labors. 

Maha takes the viewer through a gentle warm-up and full belly dance workout, teaching the essential motions so mamas can dance their Dance of Womb pic 2.pngway through the childbearing year.  One of my favorite parts of the DVD is the documentary of Maha dancing her way through her labor and homebirth at 46 years of age with vitality and ease. 

The spiraling and circling movements inherent in belly dance are the primal motions of birth, and are beneficial for all women to know and practice.  Whether a woman is birthing in a hospital, birth center, or at home, these movements can ease the pain of labor, facilitate the baby's movements through the pelvis, and increase the ecstatic hormones of birth.  Practicing these dance moves throughout pregnancy prepares you for labor while relieving discomforts of the back, hips, and legs. 

You do not have to be a trained dancer to benefit from dance in pregnancy and birth.  All you need to do is put on music that makes you want to move, and spiral and circle your hips intuitively.   I encourage women to move their bodies in the way that feels good to you and not worry about how you look.  It's all about how you FEEL! 

I have shared womb dancing practices with my birth clients and students in workshops and at conferences for years, and am now delighted to have a great DVD to recommend to moms and birth professionals as a quality resource. Thankfully, Maha's DVD is now being distributed in the US by BirthAdventure. Maha has got the mama mojo and she will inspire you to get your groove on for increased vitality in pregnancy and birth!"

-Kara Maria Ananda

What do MDC Moms Have to Say?

Interested in what other MDC moms have to say about this product?  Emily McKeon, distributor of Dance of the Womb kindly provided free DVDs to some members of the Due Date Clubs. These moms were not paid to review the product. They agreed to provide honest feedback on their experience.  Click here to read their reviews.  If you are pregnant or were pregnant and experienced back pain during pregnancy, we would love to hear your natural exercises/ practices/ remedies that helped alleviate your discomfort. Share in this thread.

Thanks,

-Chris,

MDC Staff