PROM?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-27-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

23w 1 day today...baby number 4...Today @2pm ish Had a couple(small i guess?) gushes (in a row) while cooking lunch..waited till i was done went to the bathroom checked.. and my panties were soaked (jeans damp) so i changed them..it was clear with like white mucus..something i never saw with my prev pregnancies... sat down ate my food then felt all wet again so i checked and there was more.. called L & D they said come in just to be sure..I showered bc i felt nasty.. left at 330ish got there and hooked up by 4... they did the swab test and as shes doing it she said.."I dont see any fluid" but it turned green right away... then they did a sterile exam and sent it to the lab to be looked at under a microscope.. that came back negative..they checked the fluids around the baby and my dr (was the dr on call which was great) said that she was very happy with the amount of fluids around the baby..When looking at my cervix she could see 2 layers of membranes with fluid between the two....she said its where my membranes didnt fuse together? i did have alot of bleeding at the begining of my pregnancy like between weeks 4 and 7...she said maybe thats why they didnt fuse together..after the lab results came back She was quick to discharge me and told me to just take it easy. what im curious about (and i did ask her and she kinda shrugged it off... said the swab test was iffy anyways..) is why the swab test was so quick to show the green but the scope negative... should i be worried that its a slow leak? im obviously not taking chances and im taking it easy but im wondering what you ladies with expierence thought.

jessica

Want 1000's of Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Google +1's for FREE! Check out: http://socialmedianetworkexchange.com

#2 of 6 Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 PM

As someone who had pPROM at 20 weeks I'd say to get to a perinatologist ASAP. You need to get the AFI numbers and most likely have a few serial ultrasounds to see what exactly is going on with the fluid levels. I, and those I know with pPROM were placed on strict bedrest following the rupture. At under 24 weeks there's a small (10% or less) chance of the membranes resealing. You are at high risk for an infection. A swab would show a false positive about 5% of the time, typically when there is some bleeding or recent sexual activity.   

When my water broke I was initially dismissed as well. A cervical check showed me to be closed so the wetness was said to be regular pregnancy discharge. Then the ultrasound showed an AFI of 0. I would loose fluid just as fast as my body could make it. Other women I know had a baby whose head sealed the low leak for days but then the baby would move and all the fluid would gush out. 

I do hope that this wasn't pPROM. hug2.gif

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#3 of 6 Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

perinatologist  i dont even know if we have one here!  this hospital is a small one.. and they said that had it been pos under the scope they would call the nearest hospital (1.5 hour drive..but i assume they would fly me there..) but they werent sure they would take me bc i was only 23 weeks 1 days SIX DAYS shy.. to me first off thats total bs.. that they wouldnt take me.. uggh.. SO do i call tomorrow and order them to give me another ultrasound to measure the waters and compare them?! so far i have damp panties its 4 horus after discharge from L & D and ive been off my feet for most of that .. i just went potty and had damp to the touch not wet.. ugg this is so scary :( 

jessica

Want 1000's of Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Google +1's for FREE! Check out: http://socialmedianetworkexchange.com

#4 of 6 Old 11-27-2011, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

oh she said there was alot of fluid around the baby.. she didnt get me measurements but she said she was very happy with the amount.. 

jessica

#5 of 6 Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 PM

Saying this gently...you need to get to a health care provider that has more experience than yours does. That your OB didn't take an AFI (amniotic fluid index) is neglectful. An AFI is standard in most 20+ week ultrasounds and is absolutely standard if there's any question of pPROM. It's a simple measurement of 4 pockets of fluid. You want the numbers to add up to be, at least, a level 10 which is a total of 10 cm of fluid. The 4 areas are quadrants in order to prevent 2 'good' pockets of fluid to look great while the rest of the uterus is empty.  An ob ultrasound tech would know how to do this. 

That you are still moist could be just pregnancy moistness, so don't get too freaked out. If you did rupture, well, there's nothing but bedrest and hopeful thoughts. If you didnt, and really, pPROM is rare, then taking it easy won't hurt anything. Please don't let anyone, Dr or otherwise, go near your vagina. No exams. No nothing. It wouldn't hurt to drink as much water as you can manage. 

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#6 of 6 Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

she measured 4 spots.. and then said.. "im very happy with the amount of fluid in there"... as for seeing diff obs.. im on state insurance and there is only one place in my tiny town i can go to.. .only chance of seeing someone else would be going to l and d on a day she wasnt on a call but a diff dr was...thanks so muh again for replies!

jessica

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page