Where did you register/are you registering? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to decide whether to use a universal registry or not.  I was hoping I could just find 1-2 good stores, but I'm having trouble.  Perhaps your choices will inspire me.  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 PM

IME, most people don't even look at a registry unless they can walk into the store (like BRU).  That being said, I stick to Amazon for registries - you can use it as a universal registry, but they also just have everything.  But I'm also the type of person who uses the registry in part as a shopping list, since I don't expect other people to even look at it. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 19 Old 11-28-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

crap.gif  That is really disappointing.  The same thing happened to my friend when she used MyRegistry, which is why I was going to go with Amazon if I used a universal list at all.  It's an awkward situation in that I know that no one is required to buy me anything, but if they are going to do so, it might as well be the things I need.  Sigh.

I've been to Babies R Us and just not liked it at all.  Everything is made in China, not to my tastes at all, and there were very few eco-friendly choices.

When you went with Amazon, did even half of the people who bought you baby presents go by your list?  It is easier to use than MyRegistry, though having used the non-baby wish list function before, I know that some people don't remember to come back and mark that they've bought the item, leading to duplicate purchase.

#4 of 19 Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM

I only had a few people buy us anything at all for the baby, and the only ones that used it were grandparents (one of whom took the initiative to look for it and the other of whom I sent a link to the car seat we wanted).  But we used it for our wedding/shower too, and I think 3 people bought off of it then (although that was almost 8 years ago, before everyone had internet at their fingertips). 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 19 Old 11-28-2011, 06:18 PM

We did Babies R Us and Target with DD.

We probably won't be having a shower or registering for this one. If we did, by some crazy chance - I would also probably register at this really awesome natural baby store that recently opened in my city.

Happy housewife dishes.gif and SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD luxlove.gif and a July 2012 DS! babyf.gifMarried to my best friend since 9/5/07 partners.gif

I love to  sewmachine.gif, photosmile2.gif, and reading.gif.  We cd.gif and goorganic.jpg whenever possible.

#6 of 19 Old 11-29-2011, 02:55 PM

Bummer. I've been wondering about registries as well. I live in Canada and have relatives and friends in both the US and Canada just to make it trickier. There are a lot of online stores that won't ship to Canada and if they do, we get charged a really high customs tax. Not sure what I'm going to do about registering. I don't want to use Babies R Us, either and we don't have Target in Canada yet, though I wish we did! 

#7 of 19 Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM

I have registered at Babies 'R' Us and Diapers.com.  With Diapers.com, if someone orders from your registry they don't pay for shipping.  The Babies 'R' Us one is mainly for the people that want to go into the store.  

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#8 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

IME, most people don't even look at a registry unless they can walk into the store (like BRU).  That being said, I stick to Amazon for registries - you can use it as a universal registry, but they also just have everything.  But I'm also the type of person who uses the registry in part as a shopping list, since I don't expect other people to even look at it. 

This has been my experience, as well. We even registered a local baby/kids store and nobody was willing to go there instead of Babies R Us. (As if they're the end all be all, ya know?) This was true even for the people that lived close to the other store.

This time I've registered at Amazon, and at BRU. I'm going to ask my sister to send out invites in plenty of time for people to buy online, but I doubt they will. greensad.gif

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#9 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 AM

I'm planning on registering at Babies R Us, Target, and Buy Buy Baby..... not because I want or expect anyone to actually buy me anything from those places, or even know that I have done it, but so I can get some free stuff and coupons and get on the good Target mailing list.

I'm all about the free stuff.  Whatever I don't use or need, like formula (knock on wood), I will donate to the food pantry.

But this is #2 for us, so I don't really need much.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#10 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 AM

I should rephrase what I said. I don't really expect that they have to buy something, but they will. I'd just rather family spend money on things we really need than clothes or toys if they're going to spend.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#11 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 11:10 AM

I used My Registry because I wanted to have options from lots of different places. It worked out pretty well for us, in terms of receiving practical/needed gifts (cloth diapers, swaddlers, etc) from family members who live far away and wanted to be able to order over the internet. Our friends mostly bought us little special things from local baby stores, which was great. I don't remember anyone complaining about it being difficult to use.

#12 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Hey, I'm new to mothering, but hopefully my response can help a bit. My husband and I ended up registering at giggle. We live in ny and a friend of ours said they registered there. It'sa little more higher-end and a bit pricey, but they really do have pretty good, quality stuff. They have a lot of organic and eco-friendly stuff too, if you're into that. I would recommend it and I'll probably register there again for our next little one

#13 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMatsumoto View Post

I have registered at Babies 'R' Us and Diapers.com.  With Diapers.com, if someone orders from your registry they don't pay for shipping.  The Babies 'R' Us one is mainly for the people that want to go into the store.  

Us, too.

wife to an AMAZING dude and mommy to an awesome 12 month old boy
#14 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 PM

Diapers.com, for the reasons mentioned above, and Amazon.com for their selection and ability to do universal registry to bring in other stores. There's no "in person" shopping option, but amazon does give the gift-giver the opportunity to report that they "bought this item elsewhere", so they can shop for what's on your list a babies r us, target, anywhere they want. I was going to register at giggle because they have a great vibe, but then I kept finding their same products for much cheaper on other sites. My mom sent out invites a month in advance but didn't mention the registries for edicate reasons. Everyone who rsvp-ed asked about registries so it wasn't a problem to leave them off the invite, and I got very few shower gifts that weren't on the registry.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#15 of 19 Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 PM

I registered at Target. I was going to register on Amazon too, but I ended up finding everything I needed from Target online or in the store.

I'd hate to do multiple registries, it seems like it would be more to mess with and more chances for duplicates. But the sample packs and coupons are nice...

Target gives a 10% off coupon for anything left on your registry, and Babies R Us does 15% I believe, but BRU is more expensive.

#16 of 19 Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 PM

This is our first baby and it was a little overwhelming looking at the Babies R Us or Amazon lists of "things you need". I didn't register anywhere (was just uncomfortable with the consumerism aspect), but for my shower we asked for hand-me-downs. This worked out well because people brought the things they found the most useful for their own babies. We also received some really sweet handmade items, like a blank scrap book ready to be filled, a handsewn breastfeeding cover, and some knitted clothes. So I'm glad I didn't do a registry - we got a good mix of sentimental and practical gifts.
#17 of 19 Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM

I used MyRegistry.com and it worked out pretty well. It's our first baby and we are pretty broke, so we really did need the help from our "village" to get ready for him. And since it is also the first grandchild for my parents, a lot of their friends were excited to buy us stuff. I included items from Amazon, Target, Diaper Junction and some Etsy items on the list. For the most part we included the big, expensive items that we needed (co-sleeper, breast pump, Ergobaby, car seat), plus lots of diapering items. My dad sent out the shower invitation with a link to the registry (plus the etiquette disclaimer: "We just want to celebrate with you, but if you wish to bring a gift we are registered at..."). There was also a line on the invitation saying that the registry didn't include clothes, but that onesies, sleepers and cute clothes for all ages were also welcome. In the end, most of what got purchased off the registry were the big ticket items (which was a HUGE help). I only had one person who couldn't figure out the registry and bought us an Ergobaby that had already been marked as purchased by someone else. But we were able to return one to Target and get a big credit to buy other essential items we didn't receive. I only got a few diapering items, so had to buy a lot of that stuff on our own in the end. A lot of people who came to the shower brought clothes and whatever they wanted to bring. Some of it was useful and we will be keeping it, but we got way too much newborn clothing, so are returning a lot of it to get other things we need, including larger clothes to use further down the line.

Excited, anxious and proud to be pregnant for the first time! My partner and I can't wait to meet the little boy sometime around Sept 20th.

#18 of 19 Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 PM

I think we're going to do both Babies R Us and Amazon. Our church womens group throws pretty well-attended showers for new moms and it seems most people go to Babies R Us because it's convenient, but we also have a lot of friends and family out of state and Amazon would probably be easier for them, plus then I can list some of the crunchier things we'd like, i.e. cloth diapers and the sling and carrier I want that Babies R Us doesn't have. Though I'm hoping some of our out-of-state family will just send gift cards so we can buy clothes after the birth since we're not finding out the sex beforehand wink1.gif

angel.gif 6/07  angel.gif 5/13  angel.gif 9/13

Still trying for our rainbow1284.gif.

#19 of 19 Old 08-27-2013, 03:13 PM

I have the problem of people not buying off of the registry.  We are having two showers, the first happened in PA last week at my parents with my family and they mostly bought me baby clothes except for one shopping cart cover, which wasn't the one I registered for, but I am happy to have it so I just unregistered for the original one. 

Our second shower is next week in CA with our friends and my fiance's family and only 3 people have purchased anything from the registries.  I registered with Babies R Us (for convenience) and Myregistry.com for all of the Etsy, Petit Tresor, Amazon, etc. items that were not available or were better priced than at BRU. 

I am very grateful for the gifts we are receiving.  However, I don't understand why someone wouldn't buy from the registry if there is one?  Clearly, those are the things that the new parents need or want.  I am trying to prepare my fiance for the large amount of baby stuff that we are going to have to buy on our own.  ( we already have purchased most of the larger items)

The upside is that my son is going to have a huge wardrobe!

Tags
Pregnancy

User Tag List