Mothering Forum banner

Is this name ruined?

Tags
pregnancy
810 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  kjm279 
#1 ·
Reading through a family genealogy book I came across the name Zillah for a girl. I really like it, but my brother and DH both say "um...Godzilla? No good."

Your thoughts? Has pop culture ruined this as a name? Did you immediately think of Godzilla? Do you not like it for another reason?

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuleicamoon View Post

I pronounced it with a long "i" until I finished reading your post (and looked more closely at the spelling). But with a short "i" yeah, it sounds pretty similar to godzilla.
ditto! I like Zilah though...with a long "i". How about Isla (eye-luh)? That's close!

#4 ·
Godzilla is really the first thing that came to mind. But maybe if you spelled it differently.

How about Zinnia - a pretty flowery name and it's sounds sort of similar?

#5 ·
I was actually doing my best friends genealogy last earlier this year and she had a Zilla in her family! I personally wasn't reminded of Godzilla when I came across it... it didn't even cross my mind until I saw your post!

#9 ·
Even if you drop one "l" it's better...but then it's really Zilah with a long "i" instead...sooo, hmmm.

I would jsut hate - and please forgive me if this comes across wrong - for your baby girl to be a larger lady, larger boned, or even just a naturally rounder person...and have people turn a pop-culture coincidence into an opportunity for cruelty. It could be the same if she ended up being a super super small kid.

We can't name our kids for bullies, you know? We can't push aside really lovely names because they could be rhymed with something or shortened to something that rhymes with "snot" or whatever....but some things are sooo on the line and I think that Godzilla is just TOO big a an "icon", you know? Stupid, narrow minded people are going to ignore the lovely, old fashioned name and jump right to the dumbest thing "haha, you mean, as in GODzillah??" - just such a pain in the tail.

I'm sorry to say all this...I personally think that it's a very, very lovely name.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodyWoodsgal View Post

Even if you drop one "l" it's better...but then it's really Zilah with a long "i" instead...sooo, hmmm.

I would jsut hate - and please forgive me if this comes across wrong - for your baby girl to be a larger lady, larger boned, or even just a naturally rounder person...and have people turn a pop-culture coincidence into an opportunity for cruelty. It could be the same if she ended up being a super super small kid.

We can't name our kids for bullies, you know? We can't push aside really lovely names because they could be rhymed with something or shortened to something that rhymes with "snot" or whatever....but some things are sooo on the line and I think that Godzilla is just TOO big a an "icon", you know? Stupid, narrow minded people are going to ignore the lovely, old fashioned name and jump right to the dumbest thing "haha, you mean, as in GODzillah??" - just such a pain in the tail.

I'm sorry to say all this...I personally think that it's a very, very lovely name.
Yeah this. It's a target and I can't imagine that your child would escape unscathed with that name.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodyWoodsgal View Post

Yes. Ultimately I decided not to use the name I really like because I looked it up on a baby name site where people who have the name write about their experiences. Many reported being bullied with it, so . . .going with something else, and now I really like the new name.

#12 ·
There were certain names I could not chose because of the things family members said and certain names I just didn't care. Penelope was an option for my daughter until my mother in law said "are you going to call her Penny?" and I crossed it off the list immediately. We named her Faelyn (even before I had kids I wanted to name my daughter Faye and this was going to be her "full name"). I got a lot of "Failing" from people even though we say her name "Faye-Lynn" more than "Fail-ing", but it didn't bother me and it never stuck after she was born.

I think pop culture and celebrities have ruined just about every name. It's just comes down to how much do you like the name, how much do people's "nicknames" annoy you, and do you think they will stick after she is born.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.