December 2011 Whatever Ladies Having Babies ~ We are down to one! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 446 Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've got a mixed bag of advice/feelings from our mothers. My mother has four kids (I'm the oldest) but she only breastfed us each for about 2-3 months, and then was told her "milk went sour" and she had to switch to formula. She cloth diapered my youngest brother, but really isn't AP in practice at all. She says she's in agreement with many of the practices, but when it comes right down to it, she's more of a CIO mother. Among the other advice we've gotten in the past few weeks have been to "keep giving her bottles, and soon I'll be able to put formula in them", give her sugar water, stuff her with gripe water.  DH's mother on the other hand breastfed all his siblings, and two of the four until they were toddlers, and she cloth diapered at least one of them as well. But as far as advice... she seems totally mainstream. She's been just as pushy as my mother with things like giving formula, and letting her cry, etc etc. I think DH's sisters being so mainstream have kind of sucked her in. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

We aren't doing a gift exchange for the adults this year.  We did get my MIL and FIL something, but didn't do Chris's brothers, and they didn't get for us.  Only the kids.  It just seemed silly to ask for things when we are all capable of buying what we want.  So, we'll hang out for the day and be happy.  

This is what DH and I keep asking for, but everyone else says they still want the gifts. It seems silly to me too, but we can't seem to convince anyone that it's better just to spend time together and then buy gifts for ourselves. 

Quote:

He just started hating being swaddled, but having his arms free makes him super pissed and wakes him up.  What do I do now??  DD was never swaddled so we never had this issue, plus she slept with me so any flailing was minimal.  Sigh.  Sleep is so tough!!

DD is like this too. Some times she loves being swaddled and it calms her right down... others she screams bloody murder until she's able to get her hands free. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#302 of 446 Old 12-22-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Adults exchanging gifts made me think, it's like just trading money. Why not just say to each other, "I would have spent $50 on your gift and you would have spent $50 on mine, so why don't we keep on our $50 and buy what we want when we want it?" Or else just keep passing a $50 bill back and forth. lol.gif

JJ ~ I still don't think the nursing, in general, is bad for Tenley. I'm not saying you should force it but it sounds like it's more of an inconvenience than harmful. KWIM? It makes sense to me that, if she is actually throwing up the entire contents of her stomach, that she would be hungry again right after. IDK what to do about the initial spitting up, though. Ethan used to spit up a lot and sometimes have projectile vomiting and he cried a lot and all I did was nurse him more. But, like I said, the nursing settled him and he didn't spit up a lot every time, although he was very fussy all the time, what many people would probably call a very high needs baby.

An elimination diet for you might help but I'm not big on that, either. I think it's become very trendy, which doesn't help the cause that breastmilk is best. The majority of women should not need to do a major elimination diet just to BF (unless there's something wrong with our current food supply, which may very well be). Suggesting it to every woman at the first sign of any problems implies that there is something inherently wrong with breastfeeding (to me, anyway).

I wish I could help more. I just don't know what to suggest. I can't remember, have you seen a doctor about it? That's another thing that I'm not real big on, though. redface.gif I'm like Kat. I like to use doctors for diagnostic purposes but not necessarily for treatment. The problem with that with a baby is that, sometimes, if you don't go along with their treatments, they get CPS involved.

i think I'm rambling and Kellen was just talking to me so that I've now lost my train of thought.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#303 of 446 Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Me again.

JJ ~ I came back to apologize because I think it sounded like I was minimizing your problems. I don't want to do that. I'm sorry.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#304 of 446 Old 12-22-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Adults exchanging gifts made me think, it's like just trading money. Why not just say to each other, "I would have spent $50 on your gift and you would have spent $50 on mine, so why don't we keep on our $50 and buy what we want when we want it?" Or else just keep passing a $50 bill back and forth. lol.gif

That's how I feel about DH buying me presents or me buying presents for DH. It's not like it's a free gift. It's still my money being used! So I try to get stuff that we would need anyways. Like the portable humidifier that I'm getting.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#305 of 446 Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Here I am trying to stay up until midnight when Ryan's present goes on sale online. I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it to save $20. lol.gif

JJ ~ I've thought some more about my comments. I think I'm afraid that you will fall to the pressure to bottle feed or formula feed Tenley and I strong believe that is not the best solution. In fact, I think it's a very bad idea. Trust in nature and in yourself and your body and your milk. It is not just the best food for your baby. It is the normal food for your baby. That's for you and for anyone else who may read this.

Annie ~ Have you ever read The Five Love Languages? My dh is a gift-giver. It drives me crazy. Remember when I got so upset last spring when I told him not to buy me a gift for Mother's Day so he made a donation in my name to the Women's Shelter? He just could not do something. So, when I reminded him that he needed to get gifts for his nieces, he automatically jumped to getting gifts for his sister and BIL, which lead to him having to get something for his father and his father's wife, who won't even acknowledge that we are part of the family. irked.gif I let it go. It's his thing. The next time he complains about money and our finances, I'll just remind him that he insists of spending money like that.

#306 of 446 Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 PM

MW, yes I've read the love languages book. My primary love language is actually gifts but I don't like to spend money on myself. So when DH buys me something and uses our money it just feels like I'm buying it, you know?

DD woke up shortly after I got home tonight. I put her n the potty and she peed! Her diaper was still dry so I just put it back on her. DH is now starting to see the appeal although he keeps calling it potty-training. Oh and the fenugreek seems to be working although I don't smell like maple syrup yet. Haha!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#307 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hm....maybe I should go back to taking D to the potty when I change his diaper. I did that a few times and nothing happened so then I thought it was silly to do if he's already peed in his diaper. I've also been holding him over the sink rather than over a potty. The potty I have, although it has one of those lips for boys in front, isn't big enough for me to fit all his chunkiness on. It does have a part that comes off and attaches to the regular toilet seat. Maybe I could try that.

Kellen had another dry night. I actually think he's been dry at night for at least a year but I never trusted it since he wouldn't go for a day being dry. KWIM? He went all day yesterday in regular underwear, even to basketball practice again, without any messes.

Ryan came home so excited last night (luckily it was after I had bought his big present). He had just finished shopping for the boys for Christmas and he wanted to tell me all about what he got them. I love seeing him like that, happy and excited about giving something to his little brothers that he knows they'll like. He said he got something for Ethan that he wants. lol.gif And he got them extra presents to put from Santa.

#308 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Oh MW, that's so sweet of Ryan! And yay for K staying dry all day!

I'm just going to keep doing the "occasional" EC thing for now because we won't be able to do it for a while after DD's next surgery. I won't be able to hold her under the arms until the steri-strips fall off and I need to hold her that way on the potty seat. MW, I think the attachment for the regular potty would work. Once DD gets a bit bigger I will probably switch to something like that so I don't have to dump and clean the little potty. I could just flush!

#309 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

I tried the attachment on the toilet and that didn't work, either. Not enough room for his bum and his penis. If he had peed, it would have sprayed all over me. lol.gif

#310 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Busy busy!

Kinder, bummed that your labor stalled. That stop and start stuff just sucks.

I got my wrap and did a back carry! I was sweating by the end though! Need more practice!

Hooray for Kellen and Ava! Need to work onGabe.

J J trust your instincts. I really don't think formula will fix it. I am not big on elimination diets. I am not disciplined enough. So much of the time baby grows out of it anyway.

Hate typing on the phone. 

Merry. Christmas eve eve!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#311 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Kat ~ Which way did you get Norah on your back? I don't know the names of them but the two I know are to lift baby up over your shoulder or to scoot baby under your arm and onto your back while leaning forward. I'm more comfortable with the over the shoulder one. Once they get older and can stand and hold themselves up, you can have them lean on your back while you are sitting and wrap them up or have them lay on your back while standing and leaning forward and wrap them up. That's a lot easier, imo, but that's probably because I don't have much practice with a little baby.

Kinder ~ Bummer to get all worked up thinking you're in labor to have it stall. But remember, every contraction you have now is one less you'll have to have during actual labor. They all are getting you ready to birth your baby. It's all good. joy.gif

#312 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 AM

I'll have to come back later and respond to everything, but I just wanted to drop in quickly and say MW-- I don't take offence to any of it! I appreciate that you guys will give it to me straight and keep encouraging me. It's hard when you don't have anyone IRL to support your efforts, so it really does help having someone remind me that what we're doing is working and I just need to have trust in myself and in her body. We'll work out the kinks. 

Definitely not planning on supplementing though. We might try a bottle again later, but no formula. 

DH has come around and believes it's reflux now. Remind me to tell you about the 'fight' we had last night when i come back!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#313 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, JJ. glad your dh has come around but sorry if it took a fight to make that happen. that's how things usually go with my dh and i find it very upsetting and frustrating.

forgot to tell you all that i'm comfortably back in my 8 petite pants! joy.gif i can also fit in my junior 7 stretchy pants. they're a little snug but not bad looking and my muffin top is barely noticeable. plus, i've lost the fat that was collecting on the inside of my thighs above my knees that made my legs look like my mothers. i can say now that i have some pretty darn sexy legs. winky.gif

#314 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

The problem with DD nursing for comfort (I'm not saying this is true for everyone obviously) is that she nurses until she's so full that she throws up. Like not just spitup- she empties her stomach and is throwing up milk that has already been curdled my stomach acid. Then she's miserable because her stomach is empty. 

Want to give homeopathy a chance? Ant-Crud and/or Calc Carb might bring some relief. Homeopathy Overnight carries both of them. I recommend a 30C potency. Give two doses 12 hours apart. You can just crush the pellets between two spoons and put a tiny bit in her mouth. It will dissolve quickly. 

MW- Congrats! I'm so looking forward to my old body again! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#315 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 04:53 PM

DH and I have taken turns since last night just holding Tenley while she tries to sleep. It's hard, but at least we're getting a bit of sleep. She took over two hours to fall asleep last night, but then slept for 5.5 hours straight! Then when she woke up, she was absolutely wide awake, and it took three hours to get her back to sleep, but then she slept for another 3ish hours before waking up for the day. She's had a difficult day now, it's taking forever to calm her, but we've taken turns holding her while she sleeps. I did the morning shift, and DH has her now, so I've had a chance to do some 'other' stuff, which is nice. Now she's still sleeping, and I've done all the laundry I can, so I'm taking some me time until she wakes up. 

Quote:

An elimination diet for you might help but I'm not big on that, either. I think it's become very trendy, which doesn't help the cause that breastmilk is best. The majority of women should not need to do a major elimination diet just to BF (unless there's something wrong with our current food supply, which may very well be). Suggesting it to every woman at the first sign of any problems implies that there is something inherently wrong with breastfeeding (to me, anyway).
I wish I could help more. I just don't know what to suggest. I can't remember, have you seen a doctor about it? That's another thing that I'm not real big on, though. redface.gif I'm like Kat. I like to use doctors for diagnostic purposes but not necessarily for treatment. The problem with that with a baby is that, sometimes, if you don't go along with their treatments, they get CPS involved.

Yeah, the only thing I've been trying to cut out has been dairy. At first it seemed like it was helping a bit, but I've had two separate occassions since then when I've had a ton of dairy in one sitting (couldn't help it! lol), and we didn't notice any corresponding increase in vomiting, so I think I'm back on dairy. Especially since reading up more on it, it really does just seem like it's reflux, and we're going to have to just wait it out. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

That's how I feel about DH buying me presents or me buying presents for DH. It's not like it's a free gift. It's still my money being used! So I try to get stuff that we would need anyways. Like the portable humidifier that I'm getting.

Yeah that! DH and I have had combined bank accounts since we got married and bought our house. We haven't done christmas gifts, or really bday gifts either, for each other since then. We either do things for the house, or we'll 'justify' a big gift by saying it's from one of us to the other... ie christmas this year was a remote car starter for both of us. The year I bought my laptop, I got a bunch of gift cards from other people, and then the remainder we had to spend, just said it was my gift 'to myself', but obviously it comes out of a joint bank account. 

Quote:

Ryan came home so excited last night (luckily it was after I had bought his big present). He had just finished shopping for the boys for Christmas and he wanted to tell me all about what he got them. I love seeing him like that, happy and excited about giving something to his little brothers that he knows they'll like. He said he got something for Ethan that he wants. lol.gif And he got them extra presents to put from Santa.

That's great! It seems like he's doing better lately helping you and being more respectful of the younger kids. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Kinder, bummed that your labor stalled. That stop and start stuff just sucks.

I'm so glad I didn't have the stop and start, there was no question about when labor began. I had little bouts of braxton hicks before, but nothing that I couldn't almost sleep through. Then the night I went into labor I had an hour of every 6-9 minute cxns while I was in bed that hurt, but I just kind of closed my eyes and relaxed my body, and I was fine. Then they went away. Then when I got up at 12:45 to use the bathroom, my water broke on the way there, and then as soon as I got cleaned up and off the toilet, I noticed that cxns had started. They weren't terribly painful, but enough right from the first one that I did have to take a second when it started to take a breath and consciously relax my body, and then I could keep going with what I was doing. But they confused the heck out of me, because right from that first one, they were 3-5 minutes apart. I expected to have the typical progression where they got closer together slowly... starting at say 10 minutes apart or soemthing, but no... we timed them for almost two hours (my gosh the time FLEW!) and they were as close together as 2 minutes 45 seconds, and almost always 45 seconds or more long. 

My regret now is amazingly that I didn't get checked at all before labor. I was adament that I didn't want the OB checking me, because I know that it doesn't tell you anything, really. I had been checking myself out of curiousity, but couldn't reach my cervix, so just shrugged it off. Labor started at 1am, we'll say, and I got to the hospital at 4:15am and was checked shortly after (the 3 minute apart cxns were really throwing me off and I didn't know what to think, wish we'd stayed home longer). So after 3.5 hours labor, I was at a 4-5. I'm curious now though how much of that was progress beforehand, and how much was within that 3.5 hours. No way to know now, but I wish I did! Then it took me from 430amish until around 11am to get to 8cm. Then went from 8-10 by 12:45 and began my marathon pushing!

Quote:

thanks, JJ. glad your dh has come around but sorry if it took a fight to make that happen. that's how things usually go with my dh and i find it very upsetting and frustrating.
forgot to tell you all that i'm comfortably back in my 8 petite pants! joy.gif i can also fit in my junior 7 stretchy pants. they're a little snug but not bad looking and my muffin top is barely noticeable. plus, i've lost the fat that was collecting on the inside of my thighs above my knees that made my legs look like my mothers. i can say now that i have some pretty darn sexy legs. winky.gif

Oooho! Congrats. I pulled out my two favorite pairs of prepregnancy jeans, but haven't tried them on yet. They are both low rise though, and ones that I wore fairly long into the pregnancy, I think around 25 weeks I had to put them away... so I'm hoping they'll fit soon! Maybe after my six week checkup, I'll try them on. Trying not to set myself up for disappointment! I'm 3.5 weeks pp today, and at about 2.5 weeks I was down from about 163 to 140. I started the pregnancy at 117... so I've got about 20 to lose in theory. It's really just a couple inches off my belly though, and a bit off my thighs/bum. I need to tone up a ton though, so I won't be surprised if number wise I don't get back to the 117-- I didn't have much muscle mass when I started, and I know muscle weighs more than fat. 

The fight was more of a disagreement, which is made all the more amusing when one of you is holding a sleeping baby and you have to whisper the whole thing! Basically he just said that he htought I was being stubborn not wanting to take anyone's advice, and that it was ridiculous that I would take advice from someone on the internet, or internet articles, and ignore everyone IRL that tried to help. His theory was that I didn't want to have to listen to someone say I told you so, if I tried it and it actually worked, since it wasn't my idea. I fired back that the difference is that one of those groups of people actually have research to back them up, and information from within the last two decades. It's not that I'm flat out rejecting everyone IRL's advice... it's the fact that they're recommending things like giving her a bottle of water, or sugar water, or telling me that I need to give her lots of bottles to help, or that turning her upside down will help with her days/nights being mixed up (!?!?) These things were fine recommendations 20-30 years ago when these people were having kids, but that's not relevantinfo anymore, nor is it supported by research. He kind of got quiet after that, and I think it finally got through to him. 

Anyways like I said... we've come to the conclusion that yes, it's just 'normal' reflux... now starts the attempts to see what we can do to help make it easier for her while she grows out of it. So far we're trying:

-less at feeds, moe often

-eating at an incline

-burping by rubbing, not patting, and waiting a few minutes after a feed before starting

-sleeping on an incline when we manage to put her down

Other ideas?  Also, DH pointed out that the acid is going to wear away at her esophagas... do the meds help this at all Carrie, or do you think they're simply for the pain? If it's pain alone, we'll skip them, because she doesn't seem to be in pain (yet anyways...), but if they'll protect it at all, then worth seeing the doctor. 

MW-- Haven't seen her ped about it yet, no. I have full confidence in our doc that she wouldn't force anything. She's a great doctor, I've been seeing her since I was 8, and she's always been supportive of my decisions. We mentioned it at her 2 week visit (at 1.5 weeks) in passing, as at that point it wasn't as big a concern yet, and she said she thinks it's just normal, and likely because she doesn't know how to recognize a sense of fullness yet, and so she drinks and drinks, and that as long as she was gaining weight, then we shouldn't worry about it. I imagine her response to the reflux would be the same, other than offering the meds. So we'll have to research the meds more, but otherwise, it seems a bit like a wasted visit, now that we're pretty certain what it is. 

Speaking of visits though-- I messaged the LLL leader again, and haven't heard back. It's been almost a week... weird. I think I managed to fix most of our problems myself though. Between 'diagnosing' the reflux, so we're trying not to worry about the vomit, and I was starting to have pain during nursing again, and not just at latching, but throughout the feed, but I started watching her more, and I think she started being lazy with her latch, and she wasn't taking enough in her mouth. I've been working on that (much to her dismay, she keeps swatting my hand away), and when I'm able to get her to open wider, it doesn't hurt, so we're going to keep working on that. 

Anyways-- this has been a novel and a half today, and I just got a notification of another new post, so I'm off to read. This is what happens when we finally manage to get her to fall asleep in the sling and I have both hands free. lol. 

#316 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

Want to give homeopathy a chance? Ant-Crud and/or Calc Carb might bring some relief. Homeopathy Overnight carries both of them. I recommend a 30C potency. Give two doses 12 hours apart. You can just crush the pellets between two spoons and put a tiny bit in her mouth. It will dissolve quickly. 

I am interested. What's the thoughts behind these, like I mean what are they targeting? 

#317 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

JJ ~ I'm not experienced with reflux meds for babies. The ones for adults (which are the same meds, I believe) are supposed to help with the acid erosion. The meds stop the stomach from producing a lot of acid so there isn't as much to get pushed up into the esophagus. One of the problems with them is that when you stop them, your stomach makes even more acid than before and can make the problem worse, at least initially when going off the meds. I got all that info from my dad who was on them for a while but recently stopped taking them because he got tired of it.

I think there's a difference between normal reflux and acid reflux. I would think that if she's not in pain, she doesn't have acid reflux. If she did, she would be in pain. I've had acid reflux a few times and it really burns. You can't miss it.

Those are all good points for your dh to consider. The advice you're getting from people IRL are not based on any scientific research. They are sort of old wive's tales with no basis in science. Whereas there is an abundance of research now about the benefits of breastfeeding and the truth about supposed human milk allergies and such. Do you have The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding? That has always been my go-to book for breastfeeding and baby care/feeding info and was passed down to me from my mom. It's timeless and a wealth of info.

#318 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Anyways like I said... we've come to the conclusion that yes, it's just 'normal' reflux... now starts the attempts to see what we can do to help make it easier for her while she grows out of it. So far we're trying:

-less at feeds, moe often

-eating at an incline

-burping by rubbing, not patting, and waiting a few minutes after a feed before starting

-sleeping on an incline when we manage to put her down

Other ideas?  Also, DH pointed out that the acid is going to wear away at her esophagas... do the meds help this at all Carrie, or do you think they're simply for the pain? If it's pain alone, we'll skip them, because she doesn't seem to be in pain (yet anyways...), but if they'll protect it at all, then worth seeing the doctor. 

thumb.gif

The zantac  (or prevacid, whichever) are antacids, so whichever you use will actually reduce the acid, so it won't wear away at the esophagus.  If she isn't in pain, then she probably doesn't need an antacid.  Exactly like what MW said.  There are pros and cons to giving antacids, so you have to weigh risk and benefit.  For us, we decided a few months of antacid was worth the risks b/c the benefit (of no pain and no erosion now) was worth it in the long run.

Finn was a happy spitter for like 2-3 weeks.  We didn't do anything about it, I wasn't about to run out and get an rx, but then things changed.  His breath was so sour, he was screaming at odd times, he would scream in the middle of a nursing session, spit up all over and let out a blood curdling scream where he couldn't catch his breath.  In a matter of days it happened.  So, I say keep your eye on Miss Tenley.  If she's a happy spitter, just let her be.  I wish I didn't need to use the meds.  I'm happy we're down to one dose a day now, and he will soon be off of it completely.

Re - weight - I have 6 lbs left to pre-preg and am in my old jeans!  I actually wore these jeans last christmas!  I'm happy. Size 6!  Woo hoo!  Congrats on the skinny jeans and hot mama legs, MW!! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#319 of 446 Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 PM

MW: I use the Santa toss; the hip scoot just seems weird. I will try more tomorrow. I think Ilove it though!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#320 of 446 Old 12-24-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

the santa toss must be the one i like. the hip scoot not so much. are you doing it with a spotter or by yourself over the bed or sofa? the only reason i haven't tried is because i'd want to try the first few times over my bed, but i'm never upstairs with an awake baby and my wrap.

#321 of 446 Old 12-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Yesterday it was over the bed. Today I used the sofa. It still takes a couple tries. That rucksack carry is my favorite so far.

I haven't had a period in a year! Yay! I hope it stays away. Due to nursing. 

Merry Christmas Eve

#322 of 446 Old 12-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Ok so we picked up some probiotics to try, and she got her first dose this morning. I also ordered a hazelwood necklace-- ps 20% off right now from hazelaid, since there's a delay in shipping. 

We had our second good night in a row. As long as we make no attempt at all to put her down, she'll sleep for 3-4 hour stretches. Then we just have to recover afterwards. lol. It's going to make for some long nights, but at least she's not screaming. 

I think we're transitioning into the pain stage of this though. She's making lots of random angry faces, and we've started noticing how loud her poor belly is! And yeah... I totally get what you mean about the sour breath. Work probiotics, work!

Off to start day 1 of 3 in our Christmas trek. Wish us luck- we're going to be more busy than we wanted, but I'm hoping that now having an idea of kind of what we're up against and what may help will make the days easier. 

#323 of 446 Old 12-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post
 I hope it stays away. Due to nursing. 

Merry Christmas Eve

lol.gif

Merry Christmas Eve!!

Quote:

Ok so we picked up some probiotics to try, and she got her first dose this morning. I also ordered a hazelwood necklace-- ps 20% off right now from hazelaid, since there's a delay in shipping. 

We had our second good night in a row. As long as we make no attempt at all to put her down, she'll sleep for 3-4 hour stretches. Then we just have to recover afterwards. lol. It's going to make for some long nights, but at least she's not screaming. 

I think we're transitioning into the pain stage of this though. She's making lots of random angry faces, and we've started noticing how loud her poor belly is! And yeah... I totally get what you mean about the sour breath. Work probiotics, work!

Off to start day 1 of 3 in our Christmas trek. Wish us luck- we're going to be more busy than we wanted, but I'm hoping that now having an idea of kind of what we're up against and what may help will make the days easier. 

I hope you have as much success with the hazelwood as we did.  It made such a huge difference!!  And congrats on the sleep!!

How do you administer your probiotics?  Finn is on abx for his ear infection, and his tummy is a hot mess.  I've just been dipping a wet finger in the jar and letting him suck it off my finger a few times a day.  Is this sufficient, you think?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#324 of 446 Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that D's stomach is really loud, too. I can hear and feel all the gurgles going on in there. The hazelwood necklace helped immensely. He stopped randomly screaming even though he still has those wet sounding burps.

I got some BioGaia probiotics. They are liquid so I just put a few drops on a spoon and let D suck it off. He seems to like it. You can get it at Walgreen's but they keep it behind the pharmacy counter.

#325 of 446 Old 12-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Ours is a powder and they say just to mix with water/formula. We used water this morning but I think I'm going to pump enough to get us through one week of doses and keep that in the fridge to mix with instead.

#326 of 446 Old 12-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:

thumb.gif

I'm happy. Size 6!  Woo hoo!  Congrats on the skinny jeans and hot mama legs, MW!! 

hammer.gif I'm just jealous!

JJ- specifically for babies who vomit curdled breastmilk and are not easy to console. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#327 of 446 Old 12-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Belated Merry Christmas mamas! I hope everyone is recovering nicely from yesterday's craziness. Oh and I hope Kindermama is snuggling a sweet new boy!

You know how I was going on about how I don't like it when DH buys me presents because our money comes from the same pot so it's like me buying it for myself. Well, he surprised me with a Nook Tablet. It's awesome and I love it but it does have one downfall. I can't get it to let me post to MDC! I need to go to B&N and see if the Nook tech can figure out how to get the keyboard to pop up when I click in the reply box. I feel like such a loser though that I don't love it with all my heart just because I'm having trouble posting to MDC!

DD has been so wired since yesterday morning with all the activity. It's like she's on baby speed. I swear she only slept like 45 minutes all day until I finally got her to go to sleep at like 7:30 PM. But even then she wouldn't settle down all the way and I had to keep feeding her every couple of hours. She finally crashed for good around 11:30 PM and slept until 6. I woke up at 4 AM and pumped and then was able to go back to sleep until she woke up.

Baby_Cakes, I'm so glad you posted that article about the 4 month sleep regression on FB. I reposted it on my wall. I have some friends IRL that are very much in to baby schedules and sleep-training. Not sure if anyone saw my one friend's comments about CIO and how she did it with her little boy. But our other friend just posted the other day about her almost 4 month old "dropping" a feed at night and his last feed being an hour and a half earlier. I could not for the life of me figure out what she was doing until she posted details. She feeds him at 7:30 PM and puts him to bed and then she is not going to do his 10 PM feeding even if he wakes up. It makes me so sad to think about this little baby crying because he's probably hungry and his mama won't feed him! And he's exclusively breastfed/breastmilk. I know because I gave her about 10 oz a few weeks ago when her supply dipped. Now I think I know why her supply is dipping if she's not feeding on demand. I just don't understand. Maybe I'm lazy but if Ava doesn't fall asleep after about 15 minutes or so and she has eaten and still won't settle, I give up and let her play for a bit. I know she'll get tired soon enough and go to sleep. I'm not going to sit in a dark room, rocking or shushing or patting this baby that is obviously not ready to sleep for hours. Heck, I don't make myself stay in bed if I can't go to sleep, why does DD have to? I know I'm preaching to the choir here but it really confuses me why parents put themselves through what appears to be a lot more work when it's just easier to follow your child's needs. I am going to end up with this extremely spoiled child? Is that the concern?

#328 of 446 Old 12-26-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I think people are worried that they will end up with a spoiled, manipulative child. Like that article said, a lot of people still think and tell parents that the baby is being manipulative and, if you respond, you will teach your baby that's the way to get what he wants. It seems so silly to me. Of course, the baby is being manipulative but it's not in a negative intention way. How else would a baby get taken care of if s/he didn't do such things? It is very sad that so many people fall for that way of thinking. It's fueled by the idea that children should not inconvenience their parents. But even if a baby or child is crying just because he wants attention or to be close to mom, how can that be a bad thing? So many people talk about how we all need to love each other and there can't be too much love in the world and blah, blah, blah but then they withhold love from the people who need it the most when they need it most and then wonder why so many people are so mean and angry and miserable.

#329 of 446 Old 12-27-2011, 03:53 AM

most women I know IRL that drop feeds do it in the process of weaning. So therefore, unless you are weaning to formula, I don't think you should drop feeds in a 4 month old.  I know when I started weaning DS, the first feed I dropped was the first thing in the morning one, since I knew he's be hungry enough to eat anything and wouldn't demand to be nursed. But we weaned to solids, it's not like I wouldn't feed him. If she did really want to try to drop a feed, why not do the 10:00 at night one, and then see if she can cuddle him back to sleep when he wakes up in the middle of the night, like at 2 or 4? (but if you are up anyway, why not just feed the baby?) friends I have that did the drop-the-feeds did it in combo with sleep training. recommended by their ped. dummy (the ped mostly, and friends for listening to idiot) sorry -

Hooray for good Christmas gifts! Gabe LOVES his trampoline. it's a shame it's raining today.

I need to go and get some vitamins and probiotics. I think DS could benefit from the vitamins. I mean, he doesn't eat horribly, but like any toddler, it's not always well rounded. and I am thinking probiotics might be good for both of them. DD has the stinkiest farts. they smell worse than a poo.

I am crocheting a baby dress and it's turning out pretty well! I'll post pics when it is all done.

My sister and I don't get along very well (we just have so little in common. It's not really that we fight or anything) but I was so happy to have something to talk to her about the other day! she and her husband currently house-share with another couple who have a little one - she's 4 months old - and that mama baby-wears. with a Maya ring sling and a moby wrap. I can talk about wearing your baby all day! I'm glad, because I think my sister thought I was a little nuts when I was wearing DS. - she has an early childhood degree and well. thinks she knows everything. Unless actually doing it changes her mind, I sincerely doubt she'll breastfeed. if she does, it won't be for long. she's been around alot of extended breastfeeders - some of the families she babysat for, her sister-in-law, me - and thinks it's kinda weird. At anyrate. Any inroads I can make to make her more crunchy feels like a victory!

not that crunchy-ness is a be-all and end-all. but I do feel that so many of the so-called crunchy choices are best for baby. and mama.

oh. the other night Norah must not have nursed much at all; she woke dry after 7 hours! I woke up soaked from nipples to knees. she did wake during that time, but just to cuddle or hold the nipple in her mouth. It's funny, she will flail and wriggle if I scoot her away from me in the bed (to have more space myself)but she settles right down if she can have at least on hand on me.

#330 of 446 Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Baby_Cakes, I'm so glad you posted that article about the 4 month sleep regression on FB. I reposted it on my wall. I have some friends IRL that are very much in to baby schedules and sleep-training. Not sure if anyone saw my one friend's comments about CIO and how she did it with her little boy. But our other friend just posted the other day about her almost 4 month old "dropping" a feed at night and his last feed being an hour and a half earlier. I could not for the life of me figure out what she was doing until she posted details. She feeds him at 7:30 PM and puts him to bed and then she is not going to do his 10 PM feeding even if he wakes up. It makes me so sad to think about this little baby crying because he's probably hungry and his mama won't feed him! And he's exclusively breastfed/breastmilk.

Poor baby.  I agree, 4 months is just too young for this.  Did her ped tell her it was ok???  I have a friend IRL who told me her ped at 6 mo baby didn't need to nurse thru the night anymore.  I asked her point blank, how are you going to get her back to sleep then?  She was hesitant and said, well, I'll rock her.  I told her she was taking on a lot more work that didn't need to be done. I said, nightwean her when she's older if you're needing a break.  I wouldn't nightwean at 6 months.  Listen to your heart and your mama instinct.  Lo and behold, after a week or so of rocking/shushing, she called me and was like, yeah whatever, mommy needs sleep!!  Back on the boob!  LOL.

Quote:
So many people talk about how we all need to love each other and there can't be too much love in the world and blah, blah, blah but then they withhold love from the people who need it the most when they need it most and then wonder why so many people are so mean and angry and miserable.

yeahthat.gif

AFus - Back to the grind!!  DH is back to work today and I'm trying so hard to clean/consolidate gifts.  I'm happy the ILs stuck to our lists -- except for the power wheels Nora's uncles got her!!  Holy crap!  My jaw literally hit the floor when they brought it in.  But DD loves it and I have to admit, it's pretty badass!

So - this 4 mo sleep regression - while we're on the subject - BLOWSSSS!!!  Ugh.  He's up all night it seems.  Since DH hasn't been going to the gym, I've been handing Finn over at 6 or 7 and then sleeping til 9.  Next week he's going back to the gym and I'm DREADING having to get up at 6 or 7 for the day!!  Ugh.  I'll live.  Santa brought like 8 lbs of Harry and David Christmas blend coffee!  And maybe I'll chill out and be able to nap while Nora's at school finally.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page