December 2011 Whatever Ladies Having Babies ~ We are down to one! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got up about a half hour ago. We were at the ER until I about 4 am. Got there at 9 pm. The doctor kept us that long because she wanted to observe Dylan for several hours to decided whether or not to admit him. His breathing was that labored. She called it stridorous, which is when the chest cavity actually caves in from him trying to breathe so hard. They gave him some epinephrine, an oral steroid and a steroid through the oxygen mask. his oxygen level was always good. it dropped a little for a bit when they took the mask away but went back up with the O2 mask right away. he got x-rays of his chest and throat. he did pretty well with that. he got a little scared and made a sad face but didn't really cry. he couldn't really cry, though. he could hardly make any sound. the worst part was them trying to get blood. they couldn't do it. 4 nurses trying stuck him several times but eventually gave up. it was horrible.

there wasn't any real diagnosis. it wasn't the flu or RSV, no pneumonia or infection of the epiglottis. it says URI, croup and stridor on his discharge slip but i swear the doc said she did not think it was croup. maybe that was the only thing she could think of while filling out the paperwork. I don't have any idea what URI is. did you all know croup is the same thing as laryngitis? i think that's probably it because his voice is very hoarse and he can't get loud and he had that stridor. I'm supposed to keep a close eye on his breathing and follow up with his ped or go back to the ER if his breathing gets bad again. It's still not 100% but it's better.

So, obviously, we missed the Target Nurse-In. Boo! I really wanted to go. I hope it makes an impact.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#362 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM

MW: was that the in-town ER? as opposed to on-base? (just asking, b/c it always took forever to get through the ER on base. Never went to the one in town)

at any rate. she may have just listed all the working diagnoses, as in everything that it *might* be. URI = Upper Respiratory Infection. I don't think larngyitis is the same as croup. Granted, croup could irritate the larnyx and you could have both together.

from the source of all wisdom -haha -  (wikipedia)

Croup (or laryngotracheobronchitis) is a respiratory condition that is usually triggered by an acute viral infection of the upper airway. The infection leads to swelling inside the throat, which interferes with normal breathing and produces the classical symptoms of a "barking" cough, stridor, and hoarseness. It may produce mild, moderate, or severe symptoms, which often worsen at night. It is often treated with a single dose of oral steroids; occasionally epinephrine is used in more severe cases. Hospitalization is rarely required.

it souds a lot like what D had, doesn't it? unless I am missing something. There is also bacterial croup, but viral seems more common.

Kindermama: hooray for water breakage! fx you have a baby today! and very glad he'll be in the 2011 crop with all of ours! and didn't wait for 2012 . . .

I hope the Target nurse in was well attended. I couldn't go, but I was with them in spirit!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#363 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 AM

yay Kinder! Fingers crossed for a fast one!

MW- A URI should be an upper respiratory infection. Poor guy. It's so hard when they're that little and can't really tell you anything. 

Having a good day. DD slept pretty well last night, and I got up this morning and not only showered, but shaved, put lotion on, and now I'm painting my toenails while DH holds her while she sleeps. Ahhhhh!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#364 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

kinder ~ i missed your post. joy.gif KUP

kat ~ I went on base. I don't trust the docs out in town. Well, I don't trust any of them but I feel like I have more power and control at the base. We only waited an hour in the waiting room. It took so long because they wanted to watch him and make sure he didn't rebound once one of the meds they gave him wore off. So, we had to stay in the ER exam room until 4 hours after they had given him that med.

Yeah, I thought croup from what I read, which did say that it's the same thing just called laryngitis in adults. The doc kept saying she didn't think he had that because she didn't hear the barking cough. I don't really know what that means. He did have a cough. I don't know how you are supposed to tell if it's "barking" or not. eyesroll.gif

JJ ~ Sounds nice. Enjoy!

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#365 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 AM

well, no matter what you call it, I hope you all have a better night tonight!

JJ: sounds lovely! enjoy!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#366 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad I took him in because the doc said he was stridor was so pronounced that she was considering admitting him from the beginning. He chest was really caving in a lot when he was trying to breathe. It was scary. I started to cry when they told me that and that they had informed the pediatricians so they were aware and would be ready. Annie, now I understand more what you mean when you talk about sats. smile.gif

I no one gave me a hard time at all about not vaxing. thumb.gif

#367 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 09:50 AM

MW: that is great! and probably because there were bigger, unrelated things to be concerned about!

I need to work . . . ugh. 2 more hours!

#368 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

dropping in to let you guys know I'm going to graduate today (or tomorrow). My water broke!!! No full on contractions yet but I'm a sweaty, sweaty mess so my hormones are up to something. I've been in labor off and on for a full week now....I hope he just falls out of me! I've put in a lot of hours already! Now I know why I had two dates in mind...the 21st and the 28th. I should have just listened! I've been stressing myself the last few days that I would be pregnant for weeks more! 

joy.gif yay! good luck momma! Sending good labor vibes your way goodvibes.gif

MW - I hope D is doing ok

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#369 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM

wow - my computer is going crazy today! LOL I somehow missed all of the updates! Glad to hear D is doing better MW!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#370 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 PM

What happened with D is the same thing that happened with J a few years ago. (of course she was a lot older!) She came upstairs and could barely talk or breathe. Freaked me the heck out! It came out of nowhere too. I took her in and they did the oxygen mask, steroid, and chest x-rays.

When you sleep - try to keep D elevated a bit, that really helped. Also humidifier and if he starts to sound bad again, try to take him out in cold air (I'm not sure if it is cold there or not) That really helped out. If not, you could do a steamy shower (like stand outside a hot hot shower in a closed bathroom).

Hope you get more sleep tonight! It's so scary with little babies and also so annoying it gets worse at night eyesroll.gif

#371 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks for reminding me of that, annie. I didn't even think of the fact that he may get worse tonight for whatever reason it is that that happens.

Watching them give him all those meds was scary. It seemed like so much. I understand the reason for the epi and the first steroid. The steroid can take a while to act so the epi was for immediate response. Why a 2nd steroid, though? The nurse said because they act differently. But why not wait to see if the one worked well enough before giving another? Of course, I'm not going to refuse medication at a time like that but it does make me wish I knew more about it all.

The first doc did say that the fact that D wasn't vaxed broadened the scope of what the problem could be but she didn't say anything derogatory to me about it.

#372 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

The first doc did say that the fact that D wasn't vaxed broadened the scope of what the problem could be but she didn't say anything derogatory to me about it.

I'm glad they didn't give you much trouble.  But really, what could he be vaxxed against right now at 5 months besides pertussis that would present with his symptoms?  Once they rule out pertussis, it's the same as any other child.

Kinder - ELVS!  Come on, baby!!

JJ - sounds heavenly!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#373 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I thought, Carrie, and I don't think there was any question about pertussis. The doc said something about him not being protected from a bunch of things because his own immune system was strong enough (forget about the fact that an epidemiologist has actually said that the shots given to babies before 6 months or a year or something like that don't even do anything to enhance the babies immune system) and I said, "Except that he's breastfed." She said breastfeeding wouldn't protect him from an infection of the epiglottis. Well, neither would a vaccination so...Plus, breastfeeding imparts all kinds of immunity that we don't understand so she can't possibly know for a fact what she claimed. I let it drop because there was no point in arguing. Whatever

#374 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 01:28 PM

Oh MW, glad D is doing o.k.! Breathing issues are scary. I know what you mean about his chest pulling with breaths. That's one of the things that I'm supposed to look for when DD's sats drop down in the 50s and 60s. If her chest isn't doing that and she's happy and playing, they aren't too concerned about it. What were D's sats when you guys were in the emergency room? Different steroids do act in different ways. Some are fast acting but fast to leave the system too and some take longer to kick in but work for longer. When DSS 17 has an asthma attack that we can't get under control w/his inhaled meds, then he has to get different steroids to get it under control. The idea is to get the inflammation in the airway under control.

Kindermama...oooooh good luck! My water never broke, that must be an interesting sensation!

Babies under 6 months aren't fully protected against pertussis anyway even if they are vaxing on schedule, right? That's why there is a big push for new parents to get a booster to their pertussis, isn't it?

DD is really doing well sitting up these past couple of days. She was balancing herself well this afternoon in the tripod position. And I really have to watch my food around her these days. She's quick!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#375 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
 She said breastfeeding wouldn't protect him from an infection of the epiglottis. Well, neither would a vaccination so...Plus, breastfeeding imparts all kinds of immunity that we don't understand so she can't possibly know for a fact what she claimed. I let it drop because there was no point in arguing. Whatever

Isn't the epiglottis that little flappy thing at the back of your throat?  What the heck was she talking about?  And you're right.  Nobody fully understands all that bf'ing can do.  

The risk of catching something, no matter if you vax or not, is never zero.  It's such a tricky business.

Hopefully D has an uneventful and restful night.  Take care, mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Oh MW, glad D is doing o.k.! Breathing issues are scary. I know what you mean about his chest pulling with breaths. That's one of the things that I'm supposed to look for when DD's sats drop down in the 50s and 60s. If her chest isn't doing that and she's happy and playing, they aren't too concerned about it. What were D's sats when you guys were in the emergency room? Different steroids do act in different ways. Some are fast acting but fast to leave the system too and some take longer to kick in but work for longer. When DSS 17 has an asthma attack that we can't get under control w/his inhaled meds, then he has to get different steroids to get it under control. The idea is to get the inflammation in the airway under control.

Kindermama...oooooh good luck! My water never broke, that must be an interesting sensation!

Babies under 6 months aren't fully protected against pertussis anyway even if they are vaxing on schedule, right? That's why there is a big push for new parents to get a booster to their pertussis, isn't it?

DD is really doing well sitting up these past couple of days. She was balancing herself well this afternoon in the tripod position. And I really have to watch my food around her these days. She's quick!

My water broke at the onset of labor with Finn and it was the STRANGEST thing.  And laboring with broken waters was very...uncomfortable.  Feeling soggy all the time wasn't fun!  But I'm glad that at least for one of my babies, I felt the gush and the "whoa!" that ppl describe when talking about your water breaking.  Crossing it off my list of things to do before I die, lol.

I can't believe she sitting!!  How exciting.  Our babies are growing so fast!!  

Finn is trying so hard to roll over these past few days.  He wants nothing to do with his jumper or his seat.  He just wants to be put on the floor so he can practice.  I don't think he's close to getting it, his bottom arm is always in the way, but I think he'll surprise me.  He's just getting so big so fast!  Slow down!!

We went to the nurse in today at target.  I met two nice mamas.  It was a small turn out, but good enough.  A few employees sat for their breaks and didn't bat an eye at the flock of us sitting there, some nursing some not.  Then we shopped for a bit.  I got my shopping done early!  It sure helped!  I never get out of the house before 11, let alone by 10!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#376 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Isn't the epiglottis that little flappy thing at the back of your throat?  

My water broke at the onset of labor with Finn and it was the STRANGEST thing.  And laboring with broken waters was very...uncomfortable.  Feeling soggy all the time wasn't fun!  But I'm glad that at least for one of my babies, I felt the gush and the "whoa!" that ppl describe when talking about your water breaking.  Crossing it off my list of things to do before I die, lol.

Yeah, the condition is epiglotitis. It's similiar to croup (or maybe it presents similar?), but I don't remember the differences. I just remember helping DH study it when he was going through his courses. 

Yes, your water breaking is definitely an... experience. I didn't feel a gush or pop like women talk about, I just all of a sudden felt like everything let go, and then felt it running down my leg. And yes, soggy feeling was gross. I kept saying over and over to DH that it felt so yucky and I just wish it would stop. The first two hours while we were at home, that was what bothered me the most, not the contractions or anything, but just that overwhelmingly gross feeling of the water constantly leaking. I was os glad that by the time I got to the hospital, it was for the most part 'empty', and I was only getting little drips here and there. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#377 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had another scare. The ER doc called me and said I needed to get Dylan back in right away. He had bacteria in his blood and needed IV antibiotics and to be admitted, maybe for several days. But when we got there they saw that Dylan was doing much better, no signs of infection and breathing normally. So, they tried to draw more blood to check for bacteria again and gave him 2 shots, one in each leg, of antibiotics. I have to take him to the ped tomorrow to check bacteria levels again and possibly get him another shot. I'll have to do that every day until the bacteria is out of his blood. They weren't able to draw any blood from him today, though. I made them stop after 3 tries.

Annie ~ His sats were good the whole time we were there as long as he had the oxygen blowing on him. When we removed the oxygen they dropped into the mid-80s, so not too low, but went back up immediately when we got the oxygen blowing on him again.

I'm not sure if babies get full protection before 6 months. I read that the reason for the series of shots is because only something like 85% of kids get full immunity with the first shot, another 10% get full immunity with the 2nd and the rest up to almost 100% get it after the 3rd shot. So, most kids do get full immunity after the first shot but not everyone and it's easier to just give everyone a series than test everyone to see who needs another. That may not be how it is with all the vaccines. It seems there's a lot of info coming out now that shows that no one ever has full immunity and the vaccines are wearing off sooner than was previously thought.

It is fun to read about all of our babies developing around the same time or in quick succession.

My water broke with Ryan. It was a huge gush. My contractions didn't really pick up right away, though, so I went back to bed for a while. I think it was actually several hours later when they started to pick up.

#378 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM

Oh MW, that stinks! Poor sweet baby! I hope the antibiotics help him feel better soon. And all the sticks! greensad.gif

How did D do with the oxygen sensor on him? Did they put it on his hand or his foot? I have to put one on Ava every day and she HATES it. I put it on my finger once and realized why she hates it so much. It feels like a mild shock. When we are in the hospital, she stops fighting it after a while but at home she is always trying to get it off.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#379 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I felt a pop as I was pushing Dylan out. I said to my midwife, "What the hell was that?" lol.gif

I don't remember feeling wet or icky after my water broke with Ryan. I must have lost it all in a few gushes. I remember my water breaking and I started down the stairs to tell my mom and huge gush came out all over the stairs. I don't remember any more after.

#380 of 446 Old 12-28-2011, 07:45 PM

Oh MW - I hope D is doing ok.  I know it was really scary for us when we had to take Dax in for breathing issues - he had to stay over, but they didn't do any blood draws or anything - just an xray and they kept checking his oxygen stats which were always fine.  They told me that babies are nose breathers so when they get event he least bit snotty they sound horrible!  I found at home that the humidifier/vaporizer thing worked very well and like someone else mentioned we also turned the shower on as hot as it go and just stood there and that helped some too. I hope he doesn't have to get the antibiotics for too long.

DD2 sprained her ankle last week.  It was horrible.  I wasn't sure at first if it was just her being overly dramatic - she was over tired and hungry - so I kind of tried coddling her and we got into a nice warm bath to try to make it feel better and I tried all kinds of things to "help" and finally she did fall asleep and I thought she would wake up in the am and be fine.  Not so.  She woke up a couple of hours later screaming - she is a jerky sleeper and I think she was moving it in her sleep, so I looked at it again and it was swollen up so i took her in to emergency.  They took us right in thankfully and they x-rayed it and said there were no broken bones and it was just a bad sprain.  So they told us we had to try to get her to walk on it right away - like in the morning.  Well, by this time it was midnight so she was super tired and getting really cranky.  I let her sleep in my bed with me and Dax.  We were leaving the next day to go to a hotel with a bunch of friends for the weekend, so I figured she would have that as motivation to get up and around - all the other kids were swimming and running the halls playing hide and seek etc, But nope - she could not walk.  She eventually tried crawling and that was how she got around most of the time - crawling but holding that one leg up, and if anyone touched it by accident - look out!  So I don't know - this all happened on Thursday of last week so about 1 week ago and she is still not walking - she will try to take a couple of steps with DH or me holding her but then she says it hurts and won't go any further.  I am thinking of maybe taking her back and getting another x-ray - shouldn't a sprain be better by now???  I wonder if they missed a break on the x-ray.  I know it is sore and painful for her, but I think it will be until she gets used to walking on it again after not using for a week, but if it is broken I hate to push her to use it.  I know if she was just being overly dramatic the "act" would have been dropped at the hotel when she was wanting to play with all the other kids so I know she is not faking.  IDK what to do - being a parent has too many tough decisions! lol

Re water breaking:  Mine broke for DD2 and I swear I HEARD it pop! lol  It was the weirdest feeling ever!  And yeah I agree I hated the soggy feeling and I would get gushes with every contraction after it broke.

I weighed Daxton again today - 16lbs!  He is one BIG boy he is wearing 6 months clothes now! He is getting much more "interactive" too.  I love this age - when they start to do some things but are still little babies!  I love to get that reward of a smile!

Well I think he is just about ready for sleep and I KNOW I am!  

Can't wait to hear from Kinder all about her new little baby!

SAHM to DD1 - 6 blahblah.gif, DD2- 3energy.gif,DS Oct 2011 babyboy.gif Wife to dh.   homeschool.giftoddler.gif  sleepytime.giffamilybed1.gif

#381 of 446 Old 12-29-2011, 05:03 AM

M21 - I would take her back; it couldn't hurt. and maybe they could give her a brace or a walking boot at least until it heals.

My water broke with a definite "pop" with DD. and it just kept spilling with every move I made. I found it to be really yucky. I mean, you have no control over it what so ever.

I had such a great night sleep last night! I went to bed at 11 w/ DD (laid her in the bassinette) and she slept until 3:30, brought her in bed to sleep with me and nurse, and she woke again at 6:30 to nurse and we are up for the day at 7:30. Since I normally get up for the day between 5:30 and 6 (so I can work, not because DD won't let me sleep) and go to bed between 12 and 1 (again, my choice; DD is usually fast asleep) this is the most sleep I have gotten in ages! feels awesome.

MW: do hope that Dylan had a better night. I hope the meds have done the trick and he's feeling better.

#382 of 446 Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 AM

MW - thinking of you and Dylan!! hug2.gif

Kinder - Waiting for an update!!  energy.gif

Kat - WHOA!  Awesome stretch of sleep for Miss Norah!

AFUs - Another typical night with little sleep.  Yawn.  This is the life, huh?  LOL!!

Does any one have new years plans?  We don't have anything special to do.  I'll be up at 12 though probably feeding Finn so maybe I'll have some champagne too, lol. On Sunday we're going to my ILs for chinese probably for dinner to celebrate my FIL's birthday and just to get together.  They wanted to go to a restaurant but ...I really would rather just go to their house.  I said maybe once Finn can sit in a booster seat.  Otherwise he's just too squirmy to hold comfortably on my lap for that long.  Plus having to chase DD gets old fast!  I barely get to eat!

DD is going thru a stage where she says she doesn't love anybody but me.  How common do you think that is?  She often out of the blue says things like I don't love Daddy or Finnley anymore, I only love Mommy.  I don't think she totally gets the weight of what she's saying, but maybe she just means she only likes me right then?  B/c although she is anti-Chris most of the time, she can get into playing with him or going places with him just fine, and she adores her brother and plays with him all the time.  How would you respond to what she's saying?

#383 of 446 Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 AM

I would definitely take DD back to the ER as well. It is a possibility they missed a hairline fracture and/or (like Kat said) they could give her some kind of brace. I would think that a sprain would at least be *getting* better by now.

Kat - that is crazy you can live off that much sleep! I would pay for that ability orngtongue.gif

Ugh - I hated the feeling of water everywhere, everytime you had a contraction.  Blech 

MW - I hope D is feeling better! Another one of my FB friends had to take her baby (who is a day older than A) to the ER last night and he has an ear infection and pnemonia (sp?) I hate sick kids greensad.gif

#384 of 446 Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

mom2one ~ I agree that you should take your DD back to the doctor. I don't think that's normal for a simple sprain. Can you take her to her regular ped or an ortho or even an urgent care place rather than the ER? When I took Kellen to the ER when he had a broken arm, I was told they thought he had a fracture but couldn't be sure because kid's bones aren't fully formed and it's really hard to tell. They referred me to get him seen by a pediatric ortho expert who should be able to know better. His fracture was right above his elbow. I think things like that around the joints are even harder to see.

Awesome sleep, Kat. I remember that month with Dylan. winky.gif

Carrie ~ I think it's normal 3yo behavior. I doubt she understands fully what saying that can mean. I'm sure she doesn't understand how it could hurt someone else. That's why she's saying it, maybe, to find out what kind of reaction she gets. Or, like you said, sometimes kids will say something kind of extreme for a much more minor feeling because they don't have another way to describe it. Of course, it could be that she does have stronger feelings for you. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It makes sense that she'd feel more attachment to the person who takes care of her the most.

If you want to change that, getting Chris to do more regular care of her might help. I know that's hard. Oh, I just remembered we went through a period at 3yo with both Ethan and Kellen when they didn't want Sean to do anything for them. They would scream if he tried. He'd get hurt and frustrated and give up. Part of the issue was that Sean didn't know them the way I did/do. I had to work hard at getting Sean to ask them what they wanted and how they wanted rather than just serving it up to them, like sandwiches. I had done it enough that I knew what they liked on the sandwiches and how they liked them cut. Sean would make sandwiches and make them all the same so there were things on it that Kellen didn't like and things missing from Ethan's and then he'd cut them a different way and the boys would freak out. Sean had a hard time accepting that it was normal for little kids to get so upset over something as silly as how a sandwich is cut. They do, though, and it doesn't help to minimize those feelings. He would make it worse by getting angry and telling them it was just a sandwich and tasted the same and they should just eat it. Empathizing and accepting their feelings and reactions helped a lot.

I'd just calmly talk about it with her without assigning judgment or conclusion. If it's at a moment when she's angry or upset at the other person, you could say something back to her like, "You're really angry because I have to pay so much attention to Finn," or "You're upset that Daddy can't play with you right now." If she just says it in general for no apparent reason, maybe you could come up with some milder statements about how she feels about everyone and why. I'm trying to think of an example but nothing's coming to me right now. Don't try to persuade her that she does love everyone else because, if for some reason she really doesn't feel like she loves anyone else, that could make her feel bad about herself. if she should love everyone but doesn't, she must be bad or there must be something wrong with her. KWIM?

Ethan and Kellen will periodically say that they only love me and Dylan or that they don't love each other. Ethan says it because he's heard from his friends that boys don't love boys and Kellen is just following along. So, it's not that they really don't love their dad or other brothers. They just think they aren't supposed to.

taking D to the ped today. i really don't think he as sick as the ER doc thinks. he's certainly doesn't appear sick, no fever or fussiness. wouldn't you expect him to appear very sick if he had an infection in his blood?

#385 of 446 Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the advice - I think I will take her back once dh gets home from work.  It's nice to get advice from other moms here. 

Kat - that is crazy!  How can you function???  I need my sleep!  I can only go a couple of days on limited sleep before I am a total mess!  When I am up a lot with DS, or if he doesn't settle until late I stay in bed until 9:30 or 10!

Carrie - I totally agree with just going to their house - maybe it's nice fr everyone else to go out but for a mama it's a big job!  As for Nora - I think it is probably just like you said - right at that moment she likes you the best.  I vaguely remember DD going through that too.  She would tell me that I was the best parent - better than daddy, but then I would catch her saying the same thing to dh later!  Maybe it is her 'way of letting you know how much she loves you??  IDK, but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it - I would just maybe say something like - Oh yes we all love each other so much, I love you and daddy and Finley and they all love you too!"  Just see how she reacts.

MW - How was your night?

Annie - yeah I hate to hear about sick babies too!  They are so little and helpless and can't even really let us know how they are feeling.

AFU - We are getting more and more sleep every night!  It's great - I finally have a good sleeper! yay  

Last night I got an exercise video to try - it is dancing with the stars the Latin dances!  We tried it today and it was hard to keep up with them - but I think after a few times it will be good.  I thought the kids might like it too.  I am not an exerciser AT ALL, but I have about 10 - 15 lbs to lose, and although I have never had any problem losing it before I just thought I would try to  give it a boost KWIM??  I really don't mind the weight I am at now - I am only 123, but all of my clothes are still a little tight and I can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe so if I can just lose those last few pounds I should be good!  Oh - I got my K'Tan and I LOVE it!  I used it a lot at the hotel and he loved it too - I used a couple different positions, the cradle I think it was and then I sort of modified the hug position since he is technically too young for it, but I made it work and he slept really well on me that way.

SAHM to DD1 - 6 blahblah.gif, DD2- 3energy.gif,DS Oct 2011 babyboy.gif Wife to dh.   homeschool.giftoddler.gif  sleepytime.giffamilybed1.gif

#386 of 446 Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 AM

MW - we cross posted - the way it works here in Canada - or at least here in New Brunswick is that you can't go to a specialist unless you are referred, so I would have to go to my Dr, or the ER and if they think it is necessary they would then refer me to a specialist like the pediatric Ortho or whatever...and since we live in such a small town we don't even have pediatricians here - we just have family drs or general practitioners or whatever they are called

#387 of 446 Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 AM

m21 (had to abbrev somehow!) I do like the k'tan - it is as easy as a ring sling I think (but I've never done one) except it's across both shoulders. I used the hug position with Norah from about 3 weeks I think. It's the only one I've used so far.

hope you are able to get her seen and soon.

Carrie: totally typical behavior, IMHO. I would just reflect back at her, but don't make her feel like she has to love anyone else. I think at that age kids sometimes have difficulty realizing or understanding they can love more than one person, or love them differently. kids express things in extremes alot (can't place an age on that one; it's as common in teenagers as it is toddlers). lots of hugs, but I think it isn't a bad idea if you can help her understand the reprucussions of her statements. Like, what you said hurt Daddy's feelings. (I know there is probably a gentler way to phrase that) but she is old enough I think to grasp that what she says or does affects others, whether it's hitting someone or saying something unkind. Not that you want to make her feel bad or that her feelings aren't valid, but help her express them better.

I've been functioning on little sleep for a very long time. when I was in nursing school (never finished; chose a different path) I just got in the habit. then when I was working trying to lose weight before DS, I did it again, so I had time to work out in the mornings before work. then pregnancy and babies . . . I feel really rested with 6-7 hours sleep. more than 9 is too much for me. - it makes me even more tired. but I probably average 5-6 hours total sleep. Not that I wouldn't like more.

Oh. Carrie: in re: to restaurants. that is the one place I find having an infant seat very handy. Or if we are eating out with at least one other person that can easily hold baby and eat, baby gets passed around. DS does really well in restaurants usually. as long as he is in a lap or has a chair of his own or can stand between people in a booth. He won't tolerate high chairs (one of the many things MIL insists he MUST learn. why? he won't be lapsitting when he's 15. I hope). but eating at home is a lot easier to manage esp if you think you might need to nurse at some point - this mostly for comfort. I can and have nursed in restaurants. it's just not the most comfortable place.

#388 of 446 Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Carrie - I didn't see your post because we x-posted. 

ITA that you shouldn't worry about it. Maybe like someone else mentioned say "I love you, daddy, and baby Finn!" 

MW - I think that baby D would be acting much sicker if anything were really really wrong. I think they (as they should) treat babies like very breakable glass! Better to be safe than sorry.

#389 of 446 Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

i will disagree a little with the idea of telling nora how she hurt her daddy's feelings. for one, i would at least rephrase the statement to say that daddy was sad rather than she made him sad. however, i don't think i'd do that at all when it comes to expressing feelings. i agree it's important to tell and show children how their words and actions affect people, although i think they are pretty good at picking up on the nonverbal reactions without us having to say a thing. if she hits or pushes or calls people names, tell her that hurts and see how sad dad is now. but i think she should be encouraged to express any feelings without having to worry about how it makes others feel. i don't mean encourage her to go tell daddy that she doesn't love him but don't get upset and say things that might make her feel bad if she says it. people, especially kids, should feel comfortable expressing all their emotions, especially to their parents, without fear of consequences. our society is so emotionally suppressed because we are conditioned to always be "nice" that psychologists are way too busy. winky.gif

i hope that makes sense. i'm having a hard time figuring out how to express what i think.

#390 of 446 Old 12-29-2011, 10:50 AM

I have the same problem sometimes! expressing myself anyway. I know there is a better way to say it - not that she made Daddy sad, but  to make her aware that he IS sad. and maybe help her see how she could make him feel better? I dunno. I think there must be a way to show that words can hurt people, yet let her know that her feelings are valid and it's okay to express them. but sometimes it's nice if we can find a way to do so that doesn't hurt other people's feelings?

I guess the short answer is there is no easy answer. It's ok to be sad, angry, or whatever, but not in a way that hurts others, if possible. I'm rambling and should hush.LOL

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page