December 2011 Whatever Ladies Having Babies ~ We are down to one! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 446 Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MW, I would probably cut the banana in half and then cut the half pieces in to strips so he could pick them up.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 446 Old 12-05-2011, 05:54 PM

I'll be the boring voice of dissent and say I think it's a bad idea.  I just think it's too soon.  How is his tongue thrust?  Is he sitting unassisted?  Does he have his pincer grasp down?  With DD with bananas (when she was really ready) I would just break off about half the banana, she would pick it up and put it right to her mouth.  It was mushy enough that even with just those 2 bottom teeth and her gums, she could work her way thru.  She was probably close to 8 months old.  If he's not there yet, I would wait.  Why introduce something foreign into his gut so early?  

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

B/c his gut is still "open", you could be opening up a world of allergy issues to other things just with that harmless banana.

That said, that's just my 2 cents.  You know him best and you of course need to do what you feel is right.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#63 of 446 Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Thanks ladies. The health nurse was back again this morning, and Tenley is back up to her day 2 (discharge) weight, so all is good. A lot of it was stress over her getting enough milk with the throwing up, etc. At the visit on friday, she was down 9.5% of her birth weight-- they start 'seriously worrying' at 10%... but, she gained tons over the weekend, so we're all good I think now that my milk is in. 

Also, the nipples seem to be healing, so I think it was just the initial getting used to it. It's just hard when you read so many books saying it shouldn't be painful, and if it is, then you're doing something wrong. It freaks you out for no reason!

Also getting more sleep finally, she's able to go down into the bassinette about half the time, which is enough that I can sleep in bed now... before I was sleeping half sitting up on the couch holding her. 

As for DH-- I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't being helpful. He definately was-- he's just super stressed about all the things around the house/car/basement that haven't been done yet.... and then you add him still being unemployed... he was feeling very depressed, which obviously is the worst thing when you've go a new baby and also aren't sleeping and eating well. He's doing a lot better today though, I think making some progress on the car helped him feel like he's moving forward again. 

MW-- Not having been through it before obviously, but I agree with Carrie, I would wait, for all the reasons she said. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#64 of 446 Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 PM

I cut banana in coins when I first gave to DS. 

JJ: glad you ate doing better!

DH only realty does night time parenting since Norah has been born. Be hire, it was easier for me (even though he wasn't working and I was and being pregnant) I just respond faster. 

I ordered an amber necklace for DD. not teething yet, but it won't be long! 

Oh I totally did make hats for D and Finn. They aren't exactly finished; I need buttons. Also have found patterns I like better and I may make new ones. Finishing DD elf hat tonight. Fun stuff.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#65 of 446 Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 PM

JJ - I didn't mean to ignore you and not say anything about your nursing concerns, I'm just the odd one out who hasn't had any (significant) pain while nursing. Don't hate me!! horrors.gif

I really guess I am just super lucky. My mom would always ask me "do you have your lanisoh??? Are you putting it on after every time? No, mom, it doesn't hurt. Not now, but it will!!!" Yeah......it didn't. 

My sister (who has six kids) also is an advocate of expressing some milk and rubbing it on the nips. Said it is much better than the lanisoh. 

But, really?? Blood? Cracked nipples? Wow. You poor momma's, but you totally rock!!! thumb.gif

Hope it gets better soon! 

MW - maybe you could get those weird teething biscuit, cookie things? That way he is getting something to play with and taste, but he can't really eat it. I don't know - maybe that stuff gets into their guts a little too......I'm not really sure.

AnnieA - I totally think you definitely have it the worst out of all of us!!! I couldn't imagine having to get up and heat a bottle (which is harder than making a formula bottle) to then have to freaking pump! Wow. That sucks. I didn't even comprehend that you had to pump after every feed as well. I mean, what if she doesn't wake up for 5 hours? do you have to get up and pump every two hours anyway? Or is it just everytime she wakes up to eat during the night? Either way - sucks. hug2.gif

I honestly don't know how many times or in what intervals A gets up anymore. I stopped looking at the phone clock a few months ago. It was waking me up and stressing me out. OMG - its only been an hour since she was awake. I only have two more hours to sleep!! LOL It's kind of weird because I have always been a huge time checker through the night, but for whatever reason, it really helps me. 

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#66 of 446 Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Cross posted with you JJ - glad you are doing better! Yay about the weight gain!

Katrina - I think the amber necklace really does help! What color did you get? I got the round butter ones because I heard they work the best....... definitely not the cutest though - lol.

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#67 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 05:57 AM

I got this one in the semi-polished diversity round. According to Hazelaid (this necklace is by Inspired by Finn) the lighter, cloudy colors have more of that succinic acid, and the semi polished work best. I got this because I like the diverse colors, and I like the round beads far better than chips.

DD weight gain has slowed - she's right at 11 lbs. (not a bad thing for 8 weeks!) it's just the last couple weeks has only seen a gain of about 3 oz per week. I think it is still within the range of normal, I'm just used to her gaining more.

It's crazy, but I'm actually looking forward to going in the office tomorrow. I'll miss Norah like crazy (Gabe too, but I'm more used to being away from him) but I feel the need to escape . . . maybe just because I was the only one doing everything yesterday.

Annie2186 - I only clock watch at night. probably because that's the only place I have one!

I did have a bleeding nipple with DD, not with DS though. I think it's because I nursed her pretty much constantly and she didn't use a paci at first. DS used a paci from day 2. so my nipples got more of a break. I couldn't use Lanisoh with DS; he didn't like the taste of it and I didn't like having to wipe off before a nursing session (and you can't always) so I just let my boobs air dry after a feeding at home and that helped alot. with DD, she doesn't care what's on my nipples; she's gonna eat! so I did use some Lanisoh on occasion with her. That and while I do just whip out the boob here at home, despite having the IL's around, walking around topless just seems weird.

MW: I loved rice husks for DS when he started wanting food. I think they are called baby MumMums: - very few ingredients, they dissolve so it's far less messy and not nearly as much of a choking hazard as teething biscuits. I've even seen them at Walmart.

51Zw3ETDtLL.jpg

Hoping the sun comes out some today!

I finished the elf hats for the kiddos. Here is DS and DD

c7117047.jpg

3f83b669.jpg

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#68 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Cute hats, again!

Yeah, I'm not big on those teething biscuits or zweibeck toast because they seem like they would be choking hazards to give the child before they have enough teeth and can really eat. Plus, I don't want to introduce processed grains as a first food (if ever). I'm kind of getting on the paleo kick with Sean. I'm still not totally cutting out potatoes and rice but I don't make them with every meal like I used to. Now I try to go for more fresh fruits and veggies and use squashes in place of starches. I also remembering reading back when either Ethan or Kellen was a baby that those rice cereals were not good for a baby's gut because people can't really digest rice (or any grain) very well. I thought the banana would be the safest because it's so mild.

Carrie ~ I guess you are right. I should wait. It is hard, though. I'll have to find something else for him to fiddle with while we're eating so he feels like he's doing something.

D is not quite completely sitting up on his own but he's getting more balance. Last night we were sitting on the bed and I only had one arm next to him to help him and he could go for a little bit without falling over. Oh, and he can stand in his Go-Pod now. They grow so fast! Just last week he couldn't touch the ground and now he can stand himself up in it.

I got hardly any sleep last night. Seems we are still alternating one good night with one bad night. D was restless and squirmy and up nursing often. K is stuffed up and was snoring loudly and sort of woke fussing and crying a little. I don't know what's up with that but he's been doing that almost every night for about a week. Then Ethan started coughing really early. I finally had to wake him up and ask him to leave the room because I couldn't sleep. Of course, after that I couldn't get back to sleep, anyway, so I got up but I feel awful. Ugh!

Then I came down to the boys bickering over which chair to sit in. I couldn't take it and told them so. I just don't want to hear it anymore. If you can't get along, than go in separate rooms but stop fussing at me about it.

JJ ~ I know a lot of first time moms worry about their supply. Shoot, I think I worried about it a little in the beginning even with D. But there's no reason to assume you won't have enough. I mean, if breastfeeding didn't work for the majority of moms, humans wouldn't inhabit this planet. KWIM?

Kat ~ D didn't gain much weight from 3-4 months. Must be normal. Breastfed babies gain more in the first 6 months compared to FF babies but start to slow down around 4 months or so. Then after 6 months weight gain really slows compared to FF babies. Another reason why using weight gain and those charts doesn't really work for BF babies since almost all are based on FF babies. Dr. Sears has charts specifically for BF babies and girls vs. boys. They are based on a very small sample size, though, so I think there is a lot of variation that's still normal.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#69 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Carrie ~ I guess you are right. I should wait. It is hard, though. I'll have to find something else for him to fiddle with while we're eating so he feels like he's doing something.

love.gif  I'm happy you're waiting.  Yay.  I've handed Finnley spoons, a teether, or his crinkly dog with the chewy ears.  Mostly he's just happy with his hands, though.  We aren't where you guys are yet developmentally though. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

As for DH-- I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't being helpful. He definately was-- he's just super stressed about all the things around the house/car/basement that haven't been done yet.... and then you add him still being unemployed... he was feeling very depressed, which obviously is the worst thing when you've go a new baby and also aren't sleeping and eating well. He's doing a lot better today though, I think making some progress on the car helped him feel like he's moving forward again. 

IME, men/partners don't always fully realize or accept what it is to have a baby until he/she arrives.  Then they go into like an overdrive anxious state.  There's a saying somewhere out there that women become mothers the moment they test positive, but men become fathers once they hold their little baby.  It's a gross oversimplification but I've found it to be true.  They just don't realize how overwhelming it's going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Oh I totally did make hats for D and Finn. They aren't exactly finished; I need buttons. Also have found patterns I like better and I may make new ones. Finishing DD elf hat tonight. Fun stuff.

joy.gif

The hats you make are so so so cute!!  I can't wait for Finn to rock out in one!!  Thanks!

AFM - taking DD in for her preschool registration this morning.  I had to wake her up at 9 which felt wrong in every sense of the word!  She's going to join her class while I'm filling out paperwork.  It's rainy so I don't think they'll go outside to play.  I am so much more nervous and emotional than I thought I would be.  Ugh.  Sunrise, sunset.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#70 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

carrie ~ the first time ryan got on the bus to go to school, kindergarten, i stood there and cried for several minutes after the bus pulled away, and that was after he'd been in daycare since he was around 18 months old. it's very emotional, if only because it's a clear sign that the kids are growing up and not our little babies anymore. ethan got dressed this morning and announced that he would be ready for school if he could go. (where's a squigly face smilie?) i have to find more things for him to do at home because he's bored. i'm going to check in on the unschooling board to find out what other 7-8yos are doing.

my dad told me in response to me complaining that sean wasn't into my pg with ethan that it is different for men. they don't have any tangible, physical connection to the baby before he's born. like you said, a mother has that physical connection sometimes even from the moment of conception. I found that giving Sean specific jobs to do with Ethan really helped him to bond and get into the swing of having a baby. Since I did all the feeding, he did baths and lots of diaper changes and holding/walking/rocking/bouncing Ethan was he was a newborn and wouldn't settle. I think it really helped Sean to have very clear and specific jobs.

I did give Dylan a spoon and he seemed ok with that. I just wasn't prepared for the way he really lunged for my good. He watches me like a hawk whenever I eat anything and he stares at the food. He's definitely interested. He's getting better at grabbing and holding things but just with his fingers and palm, no pincer grasp yet. Although, that kellymom article said when they start to master the pincer grasp, not after they've had it mastered. I was thinking about that because I read babies don't usually master than until 9-12 months but babies can usually start eating solids themselves around 6 months if they are given the right stuff.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#71 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 AM

I don't think most of the solid stuff we gave Gabe at first he actually ate; it was more like gnawing. Like asparagus spears. and lemon slices. at some point we did purees, because we discovered he really liked that texture of food.

I remember we were out eating Thai and Gabe was eating fried rice and my dad was asking if I had started on rice cereal. I was like Dad, he's eating rice. I don't think he needs rice cereal.  Gabe has always really loved rice. He's a carb addict like his mama :)

I'm not sure I'd do the Paleo thing. I'm totally with doing less processed and more whole foods. I even think we should incorporate more raw into our diet (especially if it means I get more sushi! LOL) - but I think it can be taken too far. Also I just love my bread, rice, and pasta too much to give up. I bet I'd have to give up ice cream too . . . and I just can't! But I also think not every diet is meant for everyone. It works great for some, and that's wonderful.

DH doesn't really do much with the babies until they are play age. which DD is just starting. and he doesn't mind sleeping with them either, since it means he gets more sleep. I had to holler at him this morning because I was downstairs, alternating working and feeding the baby and he was upstairs sleeping (of course) and DS woke up;I heard him cry out, and then he was knocking on his door to be let out for, I don't know, like 5-10 minutes. I finally stomped upstairs and had to wake DH up, forcefully, I told him he needed to get up. Just because I can do it all doesn't mean I should have to! but I let DS out and got him breakfast and stuff. (this was at almost 9) by 10 DH still wasn't down. He was up on the iPad. I told him it's calm now, but I need him to come down so that it doesn't get crazy. I mean, come on!

ugh.

and tomorrow he has both kids all to himself while I am in the office all day. It should be  interesting.

#72 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 AM

If anyone wants more amber - babysteals is doing a deal on inspired by finn stuff:

http://babysteals.stealnetwork.com/

#73 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:

carrie ~ the first time ryan got on the bus to go to school, kindergarten, i stood there and cried for several minutes after the bus pulled away, and that was after he'd been in daycare since he was around 18 months old.

Although, that kellymom article said when they start to master the pincer grasp, not after they've had it mastered. I was thinking about that because I read babies don't usually master than until 9-12 months but babies can usually start eating solids themselves around 6 months if they are given the right stuff.

It was so hard for me!!  UGH but I didn't cry. I'm sure when I actually drop her off and leave the building, I will.  At least for a minute.

She did well today, she joined the class for about an hour and a half.  She was really hesitant to let me go but seemed ok with the whole thing.  I watched her on the cameras and she was playing for a bit.  Whew.  I know she'll be ok.  I think she's doing better than I anticipated, so I'm just going to go with it.

Oh yes -- once they CAN pick things up is fine.  Mastery is tough!  I think Nora was 1 before she could very skillfully pick up like, cheerios or something.  But you want to see an open hand, a grasp, and intent.  Does he purposely put things in his mouth?  

Even if...idk.  If I'm faced with all the milestones met, I will still push it off as close to 6 months as I can.

Quote:
I finally stomped upstairs and had to wake DH up, forcefully, I told him he needed to get up. Just because I can do it all doesn't mean I should have to! but I let DS out and got him breakfast and stuff. (this was at almost 9) by 10 DH still wasn't down. He was up on the iPad. I told him it's calm now, but I need him to come down so that it doesn't get crazy. I mean, come on!

ugh.

and tomorrow he has both kids all to himself while I am in the office all day. It should be  interesting.

You go!!  I would have done the SAME THING!!  Every once in a while I call DH out on his parenting.  Or, his LACK of, b/c his face is in his phone.  The other day I came up from the basement after running and Finn was stuck under the jungle gym, DH was holding his paci in with one hand, and on his phone with the other.  I stopped and said, "Really?  REALLY?  This is the best you can do??"  I was so upset.  This is not what DS needs.  He needs someone to stimulate him, tickle him, talk to him, HOLD HIM from time to time.  How is it that I get that and he doesn't?  I'm not saying I never use those things for a break or what not, but I use them to help me.  Not to parent FOR ME.  Geez.

#74 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 AM

paci in one hand phone in the other - that is so DH! I mean, mostly she just wants to be held, would it kill you to pick her up? Though lately she's really liked  laying on the floor where she can stretch out and squirm.

Glad Nora is enjoying school, it will get better and better. Don't you love cameras? a video monitor is the best thing ever. totally worth the $$.

#75 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Oh yes -- once they CAN pick things up is fine.  Mastery is tough!  I think Nora was 1 before she could very skillfully pick up like, cheerios or something.  But you want to see an open hand, a grasp, and intent.  Does he purposely put things in his mouth?  

Ummm, so DD is doing that now. She can pick things up, put them in her mouth, release them ,etc. But she is nowhere close to sitting up by herself. She's really good at taking out her paci, playing with it and putting it back in her mouth! orngbiggrin.gif I've started giving her a second paci to hold in her hand while she's going to sleep so she will leave the one in her mouth alone. She was VERY interested in my oatmeal this morning. I was holding her in my lap while I was eating and she would follow the path of the spoon from the bowl to my mouth for every single bite. I gave her a plastic spoon to play with and she put it so far in her mouth that she gagged herself. eyesroll.gif

So I had a super awesome idea last night. We probably couldn't pull it off for this year but wouldn't it be great to rent a beach house somewhere like the Outer Banks for a week in like May when it's warm enough to be there but the houses are still super cheap and have us all meet there w/the kids? No DHs though!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#76 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Ummm, so DD is doing that now. She can pick things up, put them in her mouth, release them ,etc. But she is nowhere close to sitting up by herself. 

So I had a super awesome idea last night. We probably couldn't pull it off for this year but wouldn't it be great to rent a beach house somewhere like the Outer Banks for a week in like May when it's warm enough to be there but the houses are still super cheap and have us all meet there w/the kids? No DHs though!

Way to go Ava!!  That's great!

A trip sounds like fun.  Where is the Outer Banks?

#77 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Outer banks = NC

Maybe have a separate house for the men?

Yay Ava!

#78 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 03:46 PM

OOh NC is far from me.  LOL.  DH and I are thinking of doing Disney when Finn is about 2 or so, maybe we could work something out then!  LOL!

#79 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Outer banks = NC

Maybe have a separate house for the men?

ROTFLMAO.gif

The year before last, one of my friends rented a house in Pine Island that was a super close walk to the beach and because it was May, it was only $1300/week and I think he even got a better deal by calling. It was HUGE! And it had a pool. It would be so much fun to hang out and just let the kids play!

#80 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

OMG! What a coincidence. I just thought today that it would be fun for us to all meet up and a beach house on the Outer Banks! Since I thought of it, too, on the same day, it must be something the universe wants us to do. If the Outer Banks are too far for you, Carrie, maybe we could look into VA Beach. I don't know if there are houses to rent there, though. The Outer Banks are awesome, though. You have to visit at least once in your lifetime. I say two beach houses, one for us and one for the Dads and kids. We can visit them. hehe

So funny about the guys being on the phone or the iPad and peripherally taking care of the kids. Men! Sheesh! I think it really just has a lot to do with the fact that our society doesn't expect boys to care for babies or children so men don't have the skills. How many male babysitters do you know of? I had one for Ryan when he was around 5 but he didn't last long. I can't remember what happened with him. I thought it was great, though, because I was a single parent so Ryan needed a male in his life. I have to admit that when I was looking on Care.com at babysitters, the one male on there kind of creeped me out. That's just wrong. Just because he's a man doesn't mean he can't do a great job or that he's a pervert.

I had a totally crazy day. I decided on the spur of the moment to take the boys to the children's museum in Wilmington. Ethan was complaining so much about being bored at home. Then he complained the whole way there that he hated museums. eyesroll.gif I just can't win with that one right now. Both boys had a blast once we got there. They participated in a cooking class where they made rice pudding and learned about Norway and how they put rice pudding out for their holiday gnome just like us putting out cookies for Santa. Then Ethan complained the whole way home because he had basketball practice and wouldn't be able to play with his friends. Um, he asked to be in basketball and I took them to Wilmington because he was complaining about being bored at home. About halfway home (it takes an hour and 20 minutes to get to Wilmington) Dylan started screaming. Poor buy. I feel so horrible for doing that to him. greensad.gif

#81 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

forgot to say that D does very deliberately try to get things in his mouth. he's successful a lot of the time but drops things a lot and can't pick them back up.

#82 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM

Wow, MW, that's a busy day for you guys! Glad they had fun at the children's museum though.

Yeah, I'm open to doing it wherever. I just thought Outer Banks because I knew that you can get big houses there for relatively cheap during the off season. You can rent houses in Sandbridge which is just south of VA Beach. I just think it would be fun for us to get together some time. Maybe in the spring of 2013? Give us all time to plan and for the babies to get bigger?

#83 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

oh, sandbridge is nice, too! i used to go surfing there with ryan's dad. as a matter of fact, that's where we spent the day for his birthday the night ryan was conceived. winky.gif

#84 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

AnnieA - I totally think you definitely have it the worst out of all of us!!! I couldn't imagine having to get up and heat a bottle (which is harder than making a formula bottle) to then have to freaking pump! Wow. That sucks. I didn't even comprehend that you had to pump after every feed as well. I mean, what if she doesn't wake up for 5 hours? do you have to get up and pump every two hours anyway? Or is it just everytime she wakes up to eat during the night? Either way - sucks. hug2.gif

If she sleeps longer than 2 or 3 hours, I usually wake up after about 4 hours and get up to pump even if she is still sleeping. If she is still asleep when I'm done pumping then I will just lay down again until she wakes up. When I pump, I just leave the milk on the counter because it gets used before the 6 hours is up so I rarely have to reheat the milk unless she's eaten everything I've pumped and I'm defrosting some. But when she's waking up every 2-3 hours, I have to pump after I feed her or else defrost milk the next time which takes even longer and she gets mad and really wakes up then!

#85 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:

oh, sandbridge is nice, too! i used to go surfing there with ryan's dad. as a matter of fact, that's where we spent the day for his birthday the night ryan was conceived. winky.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif

#86 of 446 Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 PM

Yeah, I am thinking I am waaaaaaaaay far away from you ladies! lol.gif CO is about 2000 miles from the east coast. No way I am buying that many plane tickets. That would be really really fun though. 

I could just imagine what my husband would say if I told him I wanted to do that.

"seriously? you are going to "meet" people......from the internet??" headscratch.gif  He's not even on FaceBook orngtongue.gif

It is hard for me to explain what my husband does. The baby baby stage he doesn't do much, but does help out with the older kids. It's hard, but he just really doesn't feel comfortable with little babies. When they get to be about A's age (8 months tomorrow!!! WTF????) he really starts playing with them and whatnot. 

He is a really good dad, but being a parent to 4 kids (three small ones) is a PITA some days. Like today, when I thought I was going to have to lock myself in the bathroom for like........ever.

He does help clean because he is a freaking OCD pain in my butt! LOL

AnnieA - that does make sense to just leave the milk out. It's funny how to don't know what to do until you have to do it! I was imagining having to unfreeze milk while DD was becoming more and more awake! It is still way harder than just nursing though....

#87 of 446 Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 AM

I'm totally game for meeting wherever. I really miss NC (I don't think I'll ever really be a South Carolinian at heart). And whenever. If I had the money, I'd be game for doing it, like, now!

DH and I met on the interent, so I don't think he could be opposed to me meeting people that way!

Annie, didn't realize you were in CO. That's where I was born, actually and I still have family in Castle Rock and Centennial. I don't miss it, other than the snow, but that's probably because I didn't live there very long.

You know, it wasn't very hard to leave this morning, and I thought it would be. Maybe because I've done this before (with DS) so I  know it's not the end of the world. It's not that I don't and wont miss my babies, it's just that I'm not totally breaking down either.

MW: go you! I can't imagine doing that trip myself with 3 kids. How old is E again? like 8? I think all kids go through a unpleasable stage. not fun.

DD was drooling yesterday morning, big time. I really hope we don't start teething early!

#88 of 446 Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 AM

I think in a few years it might be doable for us!  Why not?  

MW - I'm proud of you for a spontaneous trip!  That's a huge deal for you!!  I'm glad the boys had fun while they were there at least.  You can't please them all the tim, lol.  I'm so sorry D cried in the car, it's SO hard to drive safely for me when Finnley does that.  He *just* started outgrowing it.  He cries mostly at red lights (or in traffic, ugh) now, instead of the whole time.  It's horrible no matter what though.  

Kat - Sometimes it downright exciting to go back to work.  I used to look at my work days as days "off" from DD (sounds horrible, i know) but on some level I would really enjoy my grownup time.  It wasn't that I didn't miss her, but I knew she was happy and well taken care of.  I was able to almost put up a mental block.  I didn't want texts about if she ate or napped or did whatever -- unless there was a problem, I'll hear about it at the end of the day. 

I hope your DH rocks it out and you're super pleased with him tonight.

AFM - ugh, no sleep last night!  I was really worried that maybe this isn't normal -- he's waking hourly!  I kept telling myself that if he's doing it, it's normal, but it didn't stop me from googling a bit last night.  I guess lots of babies are going through this, but man.  I couldn't keep up.  At quarter to 6, I came to the living toom to nurse him and put him in the swing.  Went back to bed, told DH I was spent, and he graciously got up to give DS his paci when he wouldn't settle even in the swing.

Sort of funny, I heard DH get in the shower but fell asleep.  I had a dream he decided not to go to the gym, and was on the couch drinking coffee and watching DS.  Very realistic.  In my dream I decided to go back to bed for extra sleep.  It was wonderful!  But I kept hearing the baby fuss and I was like, hmm, he's not doing much out there.  Then finally I woke up for real and realized he HAD gone to the gym IRL and Finn was out in the swing (not crying) but talking to himself and shrieking loud!  Ha.  Whoops.  

I have to take both kids to the dr today by myself b/c DH has meetings.  I'm a little nervous to manage both of them with physicals/WBV and one vax each.  I'm more worried about DD, honestly.  

#89 of 446 Old 12-07-2011, 07:29 AM

Carrie, good luck with the doc, and hopefully they will both power through beautifully!

off to go pump; I'm feeling tingly

#90 of 446 Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

OMG, y'all! I had an anxiety attack the entire way to the museum, over an hour. I'm not exactly sure what I was worried about. I sort felt like I forgot something but that wasn't quite it. I think it was just the fact that I pretty much just dressed everyone and we ran out of the house. We didn't even eat, although Kellen had had a bowl of cereal and Ethan had a fudgesicle. In trying to determine how often we could go to this museum (they have a weekly cooking club), I figured that I spent around $55-65 just for that one trip with admission, parking, gas and lunch on the way. An annual family membership is $99.99 so maybe I can get that next year after the holidays. We'd make that up in 5 trips.

Dylan doesn't cry in the car anymore unless something is wrong. I nursed him right before we left and he had actually fallen asleep. He woke up crying. I pulled over and changed his diaper but that didn't seem to help. I didn't have time to sit with him because we were already late for Ethan's basketball practice. greensad.gif I don't know what was wrong. Maybe he was scared when he woke up because it was dark then and he really can't see anyone from his seat even though Kellen is right next to him and Ethan is behind him and to the left. He fell back to sleep after about 20 minutes of screaming and that just broke my heart. He was fine when we got to basketball, though. He didn't seem to still be upset.

Sean thinks it's a little weird that I have friends in my computer. But he has also met at least one friend I made through MDC and her family and seemed to like them. Of course, being a Marine family they have since moved away. I meet just about all of my friends through the internet these days. It's the only way I can find like-minded people. I don't view it any differently than going to a playgroup or homeschool group that you've only heard about without knowing anyone else there. Seeing a flyer about a playgroup isn't any different than finding a yahoo playgroup that meets locally.

Sean did comment that I seem to make friends with enlisted families. He wasn't commenting like it was a bad thing but just that it was curious. It is. I wonder why I don't come across more Officer's families who are AP and/or homeschool. I don't ever mention Sean's rank because some people can get weird about it and I don't want anyone to think that I think I'm better. I guess the only problem is that Sean can't really socialize with them, depending on their rank. If I remember the rules correctly, he can only socialize with one rank up and one rank down. I don't think that would absolutely exclude him from going to the park or bowling with a bunch of families but we can't invite them over for dinner or something. It's really strange because I should be able to invite anyone I want over without my dh having to leave. That's just stupid. I'll have to look into that more.

I'm sort of rambling but Dylan and Ethan are sleeping so I don't really have anything else to do. hehe You all have been saved. I think Dylan is waking up. pinktongue.gif

Tags
Pregnancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page