Early dating ultrasound - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-01-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you had an early dating ultrasound, did the doctor base the EDD off of the sac measurement, or the embyro?

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#2 of 5 Old 12-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Typically they get the most accurate measurement early on measuring the lil bean (aka baby)

Wife for 11 amazing yrs, Mom to a son REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(10), and three daughters loveeyes.gif (7),  love.gif(4),   energy.gif(3) hbac.gif, ..lost  angel.gif,(5) angel babies to early miscarriage....realizing we were not "finished" so we are expecting a lil BOY 1sttri.gif July 2012

#3 of 5 Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yup, he measures the babe.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#4 of 5 Old 12-01-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

My ob's office went with the sac measurement for some reason. That date would have been 3/08/11, and that leaves a conception window of 6/8-6/15, give or take. The sac measured three days behind, so an EDD of 3/11/11. Both dates are possible, especially since I had an odd cycle that month because it was right after a miscarriage.

Not that it matters too much - that gives baby three extra days to decide to come out before they start talking c-section. smile.gif

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 5 Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM

I think they can also base the age on how fast the heartbeat is. I was just reading something about that the other day. I wish I could remember where. Apparently the heart speeds up a certain amount of beats per day in the very beginning so it's pretty accurate if you're having an early enough scan. When I had mine, the little one was 130 bpm, but every time she'd go to measure, the baby would be a bit bigger! Kind of funny. My uterus curves to the back instead of the front so the tech was having a bit of a time getting a good look, I think that's why the measurements kept changing. This also leads me to believe she based the age on the heartbeat instead of the size.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page