Which pregnancy cautions drive you craziest? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetchotchkes View Post

Hot baths, holy shit. Don't get me started, there is NO way I can take a cooler bath. I have bursitis, and I swear, its the ONLY THING when I can't take my lovely advil that helps. 

OMG the other one- caffeine. You'll pry my Earl Grey out of my cold, dead hands. 

And foot massages. Screw that. Towards the end, its CRUEL to tell a pregnant woman NO FOOT MASSAGES especially when our poor feet ache so bad from the change in balance. 

I'm a really REALLY bad pregnant woman. I eat raw cookie dough, drink raw milk. Sheepish.gif

I do avoid the big ones Alcohol (unless I'm in pre-term labor/prodomal labor), NSAIDS, and I've never smoked but if I did, I'd quit. 

You just reminded me of the no Advil rule bawling.gif

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 69 Old 12-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Lunch meat... I'm on my 6th, I get wicked cravings for Subway every time I'm pregnant. The key is moderation.. though in those early weeks I could probably easily live off of Subway, lol.

The oral sex thing irks me... because occasionally air gets up in there from regular sex (at least certain positions for me, lol)

Advil is a no because it can cause problems/defects with the heart. I stick to that one.

I took hot baths with each of my pregnancies, at the end it was my saving grace.

I'm not a fish eater... wish I was, lol, but about the only seafood I can stomach even when I'm not pregnant is shrimp.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#63 of 69 Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Im the same. Whether its deli meats or Subway, or any other version of deli meat sandwiches, i want it when pregnant, and only when pregnant. 

I dont know about moderation, any meat or cheese cut with the same knife could be infected with listeria. The same goes for Subway, i presume. Why do you think  moderation will prevent you getting listeria?

Oral sex, i dont like the air thing anyway, so whether pregnant or not, no man is blowing air inside me :-)

Good point about sex in general also introducing air inside you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post

Lunch meat... I'm on my 6th, I get wicked cravings for Subway every time I'm pregnant. The key is moderation.. though in those early weeks I could probably easily live off of Subway, lol.

The oral sex thing irks me... because occasionally air gets up in there from regular sex (at least certain positions for me, lol)

#64 of 69 Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Happily married to DH stillheart.gif for 11 years. Proud Mama bf.jpg of DS1 jammin.gif (10) and DS2  babyf.gif(12 m/o)

#65 of 69 Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Well, they say to microwave the lunch meat (OH NASTY), wouldn't like getting it toasted at Subway heat it up enough?

I eat lunch meat AND SOFT SERVE ICE CREAM TOO. Dairy Queen, put it in my mouth NAOW! OM NOM NOM. 

How the hell did the human race survive until we had all these precautions nu? 

#66 of 69 Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 PM

Here's a link to a scholarly article on pregnancy diet recommendations in the Middle Ages. 

http://journaldev.cbmh.ca/index.php/cbmh/article/view/292/291

Weiss-Amer, Melitta. "Medieval Women's Guides to Food During Pregnancy: Origins, Texts and Traditions."Canadian Bulletin of Medical History/bulletin Canadien D'histoire De La Médecine. 10 (1993): 5-23.

Telling pregnant women what to eat is not a new passtime.  ;)

#67 of 69 Old 12-24-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post

Here's a link to a scholarly article on pregnancy diet recommendations in the Middle Ages. 

http://journaldev.cbmh.ca/index.php/cbmh/article/view/292/291

Weiss-Amer, Melitta. "Medieval Women's Guides to Food During Pregnancy: Origins, Texts and Traditions."Canadian Bulletin of Medical History/bulletin Canadien D'histoire De La Médecine. 10 (1993): 5-23.

Telling pregnant women what to eat is not a new passtime.  ;)

What a fascinating read!

WHY oh why, do we have to base our medical culture off of the greek model?? The Ayurvedic Model makes soooo much more sense!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#68 of 69 Old 12-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Im the same. Whether its deli meats or Subway, or any other version of deli meat sandwiches, i want it when pregnant, and only when pregnant. 

I dont know about moderation, any meat or cheese cut with the same knife could be infected with listeria. The same goes for Subway, i presume. Why do you think  moderation will prevent you getting listeria?

Oral sex, i dont like the air thing anyway, so whether pregnant or not, no man is blowing air inside me :-)

Good point about sex in general also introducing air inside you...

I wasn't implying that moderation would prevent listeria... the chances are rather slim, statistically. It could happen.. but it's likely fine. I was referring to the nitrates when I said moderation. :)

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#69 of 69 Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Tamsyn- I have had ginger throughout my 9 weeks and it is even on the likely safe list, so I wouldn't worry about that one.http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/herbaltea.html. However, I like my passion tea which has hibiscus, which apparently is problematic. I drink a lot of tea, especially now that I'm seriously restricting my caffeine intake (I do drink some, but not considerable amounts). I was told chamomile was okay and then my high risk pregnancy book said otherwise. Ugh! This is my first pregnancy and DH is being very "helpful" or annoying depending on the day and my mood. I think it's sweet he is concerned and is as excited about these babies as I am, but sheesh!

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg

Tags
Pregnancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page