Oral Vitamin K Supplement (avoiding Vitamin K shot at birth) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 31 weeks pregnant. I don't want my baby to get the vitamin K injection at birth but would rather an oral K supplement.  Anyone supplementing with an oral K supplement at the end of pregnancy that they will also be administering to baby after birth? If so, what brand? My naturopath sells a K2 oral supplement but I think it's K1 that I would need, correct? I don't know where to begin when finding an oral K1 supplement without the preservatives and how much to take, etc.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 12:20 PM

Just did a ton of research on this...from what I know it isn't conclusive that taking it yourself at the end of pregnancy will influenece baby's levels. Most say it won't. Taking it while breastfeeding *may* help. Personally, if you want to try it (and it will help rpevent hemhorrage in YOU after birth) I'd do a ncie strong nettle infusion at least a few times a week. Put an ounce of nettles in a quart mason jar, pour oin boiling water, let set 4-8 hours, strain and drink. you can add lemon and honey, ice it or gently reheat if desired. This is evry rich in vit K and defintiely absorable. You can also take alfalfa capsules or put the powder in smoothies. I would say that's the cheapest most healful way, and you continue doing these when breastfeeding and they will also help your milk supply be rich and plentiful (but not necessairly over-full, they are gentle, like superfoods, not drugs)

I heard from a long time midwife that she had also done Shepard's purse tincture and burned off the alcohol and given it to baby (shepard's purse suepr high in vitamin k)

Some people are able to get oral versions of the shot to give to bbay with an RX. I am not sure what's in it, but from the shot ingredients there are preservatives...

The only non preservative vit k1 drops for newbornsI've found in North America is here: http://www.birthwithlove.com/categories/itempage.asp?prodid=Vitamin+K+1+%28Vit+K+1+%29Oral+Vit+K  they are the same ones everyone reccomends and uses if they don't do the above methods. they are quite expensive but maybe someone else near you wants to share?

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:19 PM

Ah, I've read only a little bit about this and am still sorting out the pros and cons.  I don't want leukemia or hemorrhaging, so it's a bit hard to decide between the two.  Several article mentioned oral vitamin K supplements, but I can't figure out why this is less likely to lead to leukemia than the shot.  Is it because the link to leukemia is based on the shot's preservative, not the vitamin K, itself?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:40 PM

i'm bot sure they know why the link to leukemia...one idea is that the shot is 20,000 times the normal level of vit k so it may be toxic or have wird long term effects, possibly also whatever else is in it, yes...also it is given in the muscle which is an unnatural way for the body to absorb a vitamin and elminate any excess.... taken orally, even if the same contents as the shot,, the body has an easier time absorbing it through the gut as was meant to be, as well as the liver has a chance to process out excess and any toxins?

the drops i linked are not synthetic so that is a bit better still. and with all oral, baby tends to get a lower but still good amount.

nursing often and early and getting lots of colostrum from mom is also super important -colosturm is naturally rich in vit k. also gut flora is what *makes* the vit K,,,so no antibiotics in mom or babe before, during, after birth make vit k more imp. taking an excellent human strain probiotic is helpful and I am fairly certain from my research that it does pass on to the baby through mother's milk.

also, certain things up the chances of hemmhorage... c section, premature birth, brusiing etc. i don't believe oral is proven as effective as the shot but it is still more effective than nothing and with fewer risks.

ETA: some study seems to have debunked to link to leukemia, but other sources say ti hasn't...I would need to dig too much and see where all these studies are coming from how carefully done etc. I have heard opposite things from care providers as well.

I had no access to drops after dd and she was a traumatic  c section so we got the shot...I strongly believe this may have affected her with whatever weird preservatives were in it,in canada it has no thermiserol but there are other chemicals in it. She also had strong antibiotics and not much colosturm so I felt it was worth it. 

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSlocombe View Post

Several article mentioned oral vitamin K supplements, but I can't figure out why this is less likely to lead to leukemia than the shot.  Is it because the link to leukemia is based on the shot's preservative, not the vitamin K, itself?

From my research, the reason for the link to leukemia is because it's possible that abnormally high levels of vitamin K can allow cell division to get out of hand, leading to cancer, in which,  the shot has, like doulawoman mentioned above, 20,000 times the normal level of K.  The oral K is administered at a much more gradual, slower rate and not so taxing on the liver since a newborn's liver is so immature.   However, I have read as well that those studies regarding leukemia have been debunked.  But of course there are also preservatives in the injection which is something to consider as well.  It is all so difficult to sort through.  I've never realized becoming a mother meant becoming your own doctor as wellcrap.gif

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 PM

Can anyone post a link to the studies connecting Vit K to Leukemia?  I've never heard of this link and would like to do more research on this.  TIA shy.gif

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimaca View Post

Can anyone post a link to the studies connecting Vit K to Leukemia?  I've never heard of this link and would like to do more research on this.  TIA shy.gif

I could, but they might not be the best pages.  I found the ones I did by doing a Google search for "Vitamin K shot leukemia."  Naturally, the mainstream recommendation is still to go ahead, which is why those who are skeptical must come up with their own alternative.  I still have no idea what I'm going to do.  Every day, I watch my husband do something like break a toe on our friend's couch or drop a laptop on his foot, so if he's going be holding the baby...we probably need maximum clotting.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 AM

Mrs~  That is so funny about your husband! 

Yes, from the research I completed it said that study was a small study with poor methods completed in the 90s and it was proven false.  Many studies that are larger and better conducted have proven that theory wrong.  I believe in Science and the research looked good (no hidden agenda in who was completeing the study, etc) in all the new studies negating that one old one.  So, I will be going with the Vitamin K shot.  It makes me sad that sometime people read one snippet from an unreputable web site and then run with it!  I went to a college that really focuses on research and so I am comfortable interpreting studies.  On a more common sense level as well, Vitamin K after birth is standard practice throughout the United States and Europe, so millions of babies have received it and if it caused childhood cancer we would have seen a huge increase in that kind of sample size a long time ago.

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 PM

a lot of midwives don't even recommend the vitamin k shot unless you are planning to circumcise - or in the rare case of serious bruising due to a traumatic birth. i've heard that since the baby isn't being cut, clotting isn't an issue? i've been drinking nettles and putting alfalfa chloropyhll in a smoothie everyday to get more vitamin K - but then again i've also read that mom would have to supplement crazy amounts to make a difference in baby's blood. 

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 PM

the reason we aren't doing it has nothing to do with leukemia one way or another just FYI, it is because I want to avoid the hospital and because itramuscular shots for anything seem like a tricky way for your body to properly absorb somethign meant to be int he digestive system, and because 20,000 times the normal level freaks me out in a healthy baby, and because there are preservatives in the shot, however benign, it is a newborn.I respect otherpeople feeling ti it worth it to them, my daughter did have it. I am opting for the drops instead.

Tags
Pregnancy
User Tag List