Migraines during pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have anything that helped for migraines during pregnancy. Sadly, I am not one of those lucky ladies whose migraines get better, they stay about the same!!! And come often!!

#2 of 4 Old 12-15-2011, 05:23 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey office/telephone wellness sessions

Hello Dovemama,

There can be many reasons why there is a migraine.  It could be related to diet, faulty digestive system, emotional stress, and other health factors.  It would be best to consult with a qualified healthcare professional to get to and address the root cause(s).  Some of the following suggestions have assisted my clients with migraines: drinking distilled water, placing lavender essential oil on the area that hurts, breathing slowly, taking a soothing shower, drinking ginger or chamomile tea.

Be well,

Nicole

#3 of 4 Old 12-15-2011, 05:56 PM

I'm right with you Dovemama!  I charted my cycles prior to pg, so I knew that my migraines were caused by progesterone spikes, that said, I had more migraines while pg than not.  I'm now 18 wks into my second pg, and the headaches still come, but aren't as severe this time for whatever reason!

What helps me: rest, lots of water, heating pack to head/back of neck; and if all else fails, 1 gram of Tylenol (acetaminophen) AND a high caffeine drink (Coke, coffee, etc)

#4 of 4 Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 PM

How far along are you, OP? I was talking to my neurologist about pregnancy and migraines, and he said that women typically see a decrease in the 2nd trimester. The other posted have some good ideas, but you might also try ice at the base of your skull. That helps me when I have migraines. Mine are caused by tight muscles in my neck that irritate the occipital nerves. I have tried everything, natural remedies included. I get injections of Solumedrol (a steroid) every three months. That helps quite a bit, but I know that the majority of migraines are not caused by muscle rigidity.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page