Trying to decide if I should try to find a doula or not this time around... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I didn't use a doula for the birth of my son, but I had a wonderful, relatively quick (6 hours from absolute beginning to finish) at a hospital with my midwife. I labored at home for the majority of it and was only at the hospital for the last 90 minutes. My husband memorized The Birth Partner and was the best labor partner I could have hoped for, I used my Hypnobabies homestudy course to pretty good effect, and my midwife was wonderful. There was even a med student who asked me, very respectfully, if she could stay in the room because she'd never seen an unmedicated birth before (!). She totally cried when my son was born and hugged me after, telling me what an incredible sight it was to witness. So...a really good birth! I have high hopes of replicating that experience this May when I give birth to our new baby.

But...but...I keep having these nagging doubts about this time around, and I wonder if I might want some extra support. Our son will turn two the week the baby is due, and I wonder if my husband will be able to concentrate as much on me this time! I have several friends who've volunteered to take DS for the day while I'm laboring, but...I don't know. I guess I'm a little nervous. What if I have a much longer labor, what if it's not as "easy", will my husband and I both be as prepared this time around? Etc, etc. We had thought to have a doula the first time around, but we didn't have $1000-2,000 to pay, so we were pretty limited in our options. We interviewed a few of the less experienced ones, but didn't "click" with any of them, so we decided to do it on our own.

How did your 2nd birth go? Did you feel like a doula was helpful or would have been? Did you feel more distracted or less focused because you had an older child around? I don't know why I'm doubting myself all of a sudden, but I am.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page