When to hire a doula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At what point in a pregnancy should someone start interviewing doulas for their birth? I'm at the tail end of the first tri, and wondering if I should start looking now, or if later in the pregnancy is more normal.

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#2 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 AM

I was wondering about this as well. I've had a few recommendations from friends, but I don't know if it's too early to start interviewing them or not. (I'm at the beginning of my second trimester.) I'm worried they might get booked up or something for the time around my due date, but really have no idea how they even deal with that scheduling.

#3 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking the same thing! I don't want them to get too busy, but I don't want to jump the gun, either, and have them be like, "Who are you again?" when I need them. ;)

#4 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 AM

You might want to start now, that way you can have plenty of time to interview a few and find a good fit. Especially if you live in small community or a place with only a few doulas around.  Plus, you'll have more time to get to know her.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#5 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 AM

You can hire your doula at any time during your pregnancy. If you find one early, you'll have secured your spot w her. A doula will typically schedule up to 4 mamas in a given month and they work w backup just in case two babies choose the same birthday. smile.gif Some doulas offer other services as well, like massage or prenatal yoga. Getting an early start gives you more time to take advantage of these opportunities to get to know your doula. That said, I've known mamas who decide to hire a doula a week before their guess date. It always seems to work out for the best! Feel free to message me if you have other doula questions. smile.gif

Me (31), Him (31) & cat.gifwelcomed beautiful Baby Lu dust.gif09/03/2012! Let the adventures begin! joy.gif  

winner.jpg cd.gif

#6 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 AM

You can hire your doula at any time during your pregnancy. If you find one early, you'll have secured your spot w her. A doula will typically schedule up to 4 mamas in a given month and they work w backup just in case two babies choose the same birthday. smile.gif Some doulas offer other services as well, like massage or prenatal yoga. Getting an early start gives you more time to take advantage of these opportunities to get to know your doula. That said, I've known mamas who decide to hire a doula a week before their guess date. It always seems to work out for the best! Feel free to message me if you have other doula questions. smile.gif

Me (31), Him (31) & cat.gifwelcomed beautiful Baby Lu dust.gif09/03/2012! Let the adventures begin! joy.gif  

winner.jpg cd.gif

#7 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 AM

I think the earlier, the better. You can then meet with your doula numerous times throughout your pregnancy and really develop a connection with her, and she will have more time to get a feel for who you are and what you want.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#8 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

This is good to know! Thank you!

#9 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 PM

I'm planning on going to a Meet the Doulas Night in February and I'm not due until July.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#10 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 08:00 PM

I've already met with my doula!! :)

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#11 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 11:56 AM

I would say ASAP because some doulas book up fast.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page