Baby name HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're thinking Jagger Jakowski. Baby boy due April. What do you think? Honest opinions PLEASE.

caffix.gif wife to DH kewl.gif and mama to Kaden notes2.gif 1/1/06 and Jagger babyboy.gif 4/21/12

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

#2 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My first thought would be is it pronounced "J"agger or "Y"agger? (I'm reminded of the liquor "jagermeister" pronounced "yagermeister") ....and I'd assume that may be an issue you'd have to address frequently, but either way I like it.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#3 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

It's like JAG-ur. I guess like Mick Jagger, but it's not after that guy.

caffix.gif wife to DH kewl.gif and mama to Kaden notes2.gif 1/1/06 and Jagger babyboy.gif 4/21/12

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

#4 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think most people will assume he's named after Mick Jagger, so if you don't care for that association, you may want to think of something else. Otherwise, go for it!

partners.gif  +babyf.gifjoy.gif

#5 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 PM

Makes me think of dagger and that's not a good association imo.

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
#6 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Cute name but I agree with the Mick Jagger association comments. It just doesn't seem like the right timing with the popular song right now "Moves Like Jagger". You would probably get less comments from people using it in a few years. But, if you don't mind, go for it!

Married to my love stillheart.gif, Mommy to W ('09) homebirth.jpg and Doula.

brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif God has answered our prayers & we welcomed our baby girl earth side 11/24/13 h20homebirth.gif

#7 of 16 Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

DH and I got into an arguement last night over this (we hardly ever argue). He thinks I care too much what others think and I guess he's right. But I asked him if we could look into other name options and he said fine. So I looked for like four hours and named off probably like 40. He said no to every one of them, and what makes it even more difficult is that he doesn't want any names that end with the letter "N"... that's so dang hard!!

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

#8 of 16 Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM

I like Jagger, associations aside.  DD's name is Reese and people either think I'm saying "Grace" so I have to say either "Reese, like Reese Witherspoon." or "Reese, like the candy".  Or people just say "Oh, like Reese Witherspoon?"  It doesn't really bother me that much though.  It does annoy me that people can't differentiate between Reese and Grace.  I don't think you'd have that problem though.

Anyway, here are some similar names:

Ryder

Ryker

Jett

Gage

Asher

Archer

Bowie

Henley

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#9 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I like it.  He would be nicknamed "Jag" almost immediately, so that might help with the Jagger connotations, but if you don't like the nickname Jag, it wouldn't be good.  He also might become known as "JJ", which would be less cute I think. 

And thank you BubbleMa for the Archer suggestion!  I'm trying it out on DH tonight.

countrybound likes this.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#10 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM

I'm not all that into pop music, but I recently heard a really annoying song on the radio that I couldnt help but google and find out who did it. Its a Maroon 5 song called Moves Like Jagger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRsxpoAc5w
The song has been deemed one of the most profitable singles of all times, selling over 4 million copies from since it was released in September.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moves_Like_Jagger
So, I would be worried that it would blow up into a huge baby name, if there is a song with the name in the title that is so popular.

I like the name, but I would want someone to tell me if there was a HUGE pop song related to my choice of baby name. I think its cool, and you should name him that if you want to, just be prepared for it to be not-so-rare in the not-so-distant future smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#11 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post

I like it.  He would be nicknamed "Jag" almost immediately, so that might help with the Jagger connotations, but if you don't like the nickname Jag, it wouldn't be good.  He also might become known as "JJ", which would be less cute I think. 

And thank you BubbleMa for the Archer suggestion!  I'm trying it out on DH tonight.

You're welcome!  I also really like Bowen, but since the OP said no names ending in "n" I didn't include it. 

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#12 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 PM

I like the name personally! The first person to come to my mind is Mick Jagger but thats only because its unique enough that i can only think of one. I wouldnt be concerned with association, i reckon if you took into consideration what everyone would associate a name with you'd never find a name you were happy with. Every name is gonna make people think of something else... Until that is your little man makes his mark on the world and everyone thinks of him smile.gif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#13 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 PM

My 2 cents... :)

1) Name your munchkin as you see fit. People will always have something to say about it anyway. :)

But...

2) Consider how difficult it will be for your son to pronounce his full name when he's little. Try pronouncing his full name with about 5 or 6 big marshmellows in your mouth to approximate toddler speech... he'll probably stick with JJ because it's easy to pronounce. :D

I'm partial to Ryker, but then again, I have a CyberPunk RPG character with that name. </geekgirl>

fencing.gif Carolina Kel 
Pagan * Grad Student * Amateur Ninja * Bibliophile * Photographer * Cyberpunk* Cooking Diva * Wife to RJ & Partner to Abeja * Mamí Valkyrie to Eiríkr (2/26/2009), Skaði (3/18/2011) and a surprise munchkin due 8-23-2012 * I love my tribe of hearts! *

#14 of 16 Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your replies. We will most likely end up nick naming him JJ. But we did decide for sure last night that his name will in fact be Jagger. We feel the song will fade soon enough and in a year or two we'll hear about it rarely.

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

#15 of 16 Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybound View Post

Thank you everyone for your replies. We will most likely end up nick naming him JJ. But we did decide for sure last night that his name will in fact be Jagger. We feel the song will fade soon enough and in a year or two we'll hear about it rarely.

he'll have his own personality and fill the name for himself!  I like it...

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#16 of 16 Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

I don't like the name Jagger at all, and I think everyone will definitely think of Mick Jagger. And I do think with the first and last name, it's quite a mouthful. So I will never name my baby that. But, it is your baby, so as long as you and your dh don't mind the Mick Jagger association and the pronunciation, I say do as you like.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**36***40** Oct 2014 - it's a

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page