Moms with 3+ tell me about your labor experiences - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am planning a homebirth for DS#3. Both my labors with DS1 and DS2 went very well and VERY fast (4 and 3 hours start to finish). I am wondering what I should expect for this third time. I hear that the third baby is the "wild card" and am interested to hear if this is true. Tell me about your experiences.

Lindsey: wife to Noah, Mom to Ethan 5 and Jonathan 2,  Baby Boy #3 due May 2012, 7 angels

#2 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 PM

My third and fourth were induced, so I know that changes things.  But for my third I was technically in labor all day.  It was super manageable and I coped extremely well with it.  Then bam! and I went from a 6 to a baby in arms in less than 30 minutes.  The most intense 30 minutes of my life (no pain meds were used or anything).

My fourth was a nightmare.  26 hour labor (aren't they just supposed to fall out by then? lol)

My first and second were so easy compared to my third and fourth, so I believe the wild card theory.  Though for me, my third was very tolerable.  But my fourth scares me from ever having kids again (though I will, I am just scared!)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 PM

I have had three natural childbirths. I managed the labor at home as long as possible and gave birth in a hospital. They were all fairly swift, but the second was the fastest and the third was the best in terms of managing pain. Overall, the births were fairly similar, and active labor for all three followed a similar pattern.

#4 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My 3rd was the more wild card. Short intense labor, he was posterior which did not help! I felt like I was never able to get a good handle on the pain. I did go into labor with #3 at the same time of day that I did with the first two, early in the morning. When I had #4, I finally broke that pattern. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 AM

My third was my easiest.  Very slow and gentle, and never was hurried or painful much.  At the very, very end, though, I wished she would just hurry up already.  It was 6ish hours, from the very beginning, only about 2 or 3 from when I was sure it was labor.

My first was 12 or so hours, but posterior, and flat on my back at the hospital for the whole thing.  Duh.

My second was a freight train.  I had bh type contractions all day, but nothing to really speak of.  In retrospect I can see it more.  The first, "okay, yeah, this is labor" contraction to birth was 30 minutes.  Whew.

My fourth was about like my third, though a bit more intense.  I was alone for the majority of my labor with my third, though, and felt pretty watched with my fourth.  I think that made it a lot harder for me.  (My fourth was about 2-3 hours, from the get go.)

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#6 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM

I am interested in all of these responses, too!  I am pregnant with #3 and my first two labors were also pretty fast (DD1 was 4 hours and 10 minutes, DD2 was 2 hours and 20 minutes).   I am still not sure what we are going to do this time.......part of me wants to be prepared for a home birth because I am concerned we won't have time to get anywhere, especially if I go into labor while I am home alone with the girls. 

#7 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 PM

My first labor was 13 1/2 hours, my second was 6 hours....my 3rd really threw me for a loop lol his labor was 14 hours and 5 of it was pushing due to malpositioning...then my 4th child's labor was 5 hours but felt a lot quicker because I was at home and comfortable. 

#8 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norskelove View Post

I am interested in all of these responses, too!  I am pregnant with #3 and my first two labors were also pretty fast (DD1 was 4 hours and 10 minutes, DD2 was 2 hours and 20 minutes).   I am still not sure what we are going to do this time.......part of me wants to be prepared for a home birth because I am concerned we won't have time to get anywhere, especially if I go into labor while I am home alone with the girls. 

This was one of my main reasons for choosing a homebirth because I didn't want to have to turn my birth into an emergency unless it really is one. Meaning that if I was to have the baby at home (unplanned) we would have to call in the EMTs and be transported to the hospital. They would hold us for at least 48hours, pump baby full of antibiotics, watch him closely and run all sorts of tests on him because of my history of GBS. This way, by having a planned homebirth, I can have professionals with me at home who can make the process much more peaceful and make sure that we are safe and healthy without all the production of a emergency situation.

After stressing and stressing about the decision and reading tons and tons of research, and talking with my insurance company, we decided that this was a very good, reasonable and safe option for us given my history and desired birth. I am so very excited about it and hope and pray that everything goes well. I will also be treating myself in advance for GBS with garlic cloves and hibiclens before and during labor (even though my midwife does not test for it; I will assume that I have it).

Good luck to you!! When are you due?

Lindsey: wife to Noah, Mom to Ethan 5 and Jonathan 2,  Baby Boy #3 due May 2012, 7 angels

#9 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 AM

My first: Water broke, nnnooottthhhinnnggg happened for 30 hours...then I went from "hey, I think that was a REAL contraction!" to "Oh my god she's so beautiful" in an hour and 57 minutes.

My second: Water broke. noooothinngnggg happened for 28 hours...then went from "hey, I think that was a REAL contraction" to "ooohhh, he's so cute!" in an hour and 37 minutes.

I can't wait to see what is going to happen for this third one.

My two births have been identical in almost every way to my mothers....all four of my mothers births were IDENTICAL...I have asked her about this third one...she said it was her most pleasant, but technically speaking, was the exact same as all of her others.

My MIL said her third was her most pleasant, because she already had two boys and she knew it was going to be a girl...so, she was the most joyful, but she said technically speaking it was not remarkably worse or better....just about the same, possibly a bit better because she knew what she was doing that time (but all of hers were medicated births, so I don't know).

I have two friends who are expecting their fourth babies and they both had HELLISH third labors....looonnnngggg and extremely hard. One of my friends - seriously, one of the toughest birth warriors I know - almost gave up and went to the hospital because she just couldn't do it anymore she was so tired...but she somehow pushed through and waited that baby out and he came at home.

So I don't know what's going to happen. I'm glad I've heard so much about this "third baby's a wild card" thing though, because it's helped me to let go of the feeling that I "know" what's going to happen. When I visualize my birth, I just visualize holding a baby at the end and try not to get stuck on exactly how it's going to go down, just that I'll manage it somehow and that everything will turn out just fine.

I've had such freight train kids...two babies and I've never pushed even one time....I figure it might be neat to experience something different. So long as she is healthy and born gently....I don't really care.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#10 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnwife View Post

This was one of my main reasons for choosing a homebirth because I didn't want to have to turn my birth into an emergency unless it really is one. Meaning that if I was to have the baby at home (unplanned) we would have to call in the EMTs and be transported to the hospital. They would hold us for at least 48hours, pump baby full of antibiotics, watch him closely and run all sorts of tests on him because of my history of GBS. This way, by having a planned homebirth, I can have professionals with me at home who can make the process much more peaceful and make sure that we are safe and healthy without all the production of a emergency situation.

After stressing and stressing about the decision and reading tons and tons of research, and talking with my insurance company, we decided that this was a very good, reasonable and safe option for us given my history and desired birth. I am so very excited about it and hope and pray that everything goes well. I will also be treating myself in advance for GBS with garlic cloves and hibiclens before and during labor (even though my midwife does not test for it; I will assume that I have it).

Good luck to you!! When are you due?

Those are such good points! I have a lot to think about, but have some time to figure it out (I am not due until September).  Someone told me that it is hard finding a midwife when you have a history of precipitous labor.......I am not sure if that is true or not.   I have always tested negative for GBS, but that doesn't mean much.  My sister tested negative for her first two pregnancies but positive for her third, so I know it can happen.   She also had fast labors, so she decided to induce with her last labor to ensure she had enough time on antibiotics.  I would love to avoid an induction.  

#11 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM

I am having my third also... never heard the wild card theory, but I'm glad to hear of it so that I'm not too surprised if it's different!

My first two started with my water breaking.  I am so curious if that will happen again!  Any thoughts on that aspect?

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

#12 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#13 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 04:07 PM

My first was 14 hours from waking up with slow, gentle contractions at 6am to delivery at 8pm. Labor progressed steadily, gradually, never stalled out. Arrived at the hospital at 4pm dilated to a 7, labored in tub for a while, before settling in the shower. Pushed for about an hour. DD was 8lbs 15oz and I was 41wk4d

My second was about 4 hours from first contractions to delivery. Never settled into regular contractions. They were all over the map, and all of a sudden, I decided we needed to leave and nearly drove myself, as my DH wasn't getting his act together. Labor stalled out in the car for 45min, and while settling into the hospital room. After well over an hour of no contractions, my midwife checked me, I was a 9. I had two HUGE contractions and pushed twice, and DS was here! He was 8lbs 10oz and born on his due date

My third was about 7 hours from first contractions to delivery. I rushed all around, sure she was going to turn up quickly. Within an hour we left for the birth center, an hour away. Contractions were irregular and painful. I settled into the tub and contractions slowed down. The water helped a lot, but they were still sharply painful. I didn't feel like I was making any progress and was very restless. After many hours, my midwife suggested I shift into a kneeling position. My contractions picked up pace and were coming in waves, just one on top of another. They hurt, I couldn't get on top of them. And then, all of a sudden, I was pushing! Two totally involuntary pushes and she was out. The midwives came running in and didn't even have time to glove, as she was already half out. DD had a nuchal cord and had been breech until 37 weeks. I had a anterior placenta, and I think she was not positioned well during the first 6 or so hours of my labor. Once I moved positions, she came in a hurry. She was 7lbs 6oz and arrived at 39 weeks.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#14 of 16 Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 AM

In terms of length and intensity, all of mine were about the same.  But the third one hurt more.  Major back labor, which is something I hadn't had with the other two.

#15 of 16 Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 AM

Kid 1 - 12 hours from first contraction to baby

Kid 2 - 3 hours from first contraction to baby - was in the hospital room for 15 minutes before the baby showed up

Kid 3 - Just over 2 hours from first contraction to baby - had her on my bathroom floor because I couldn't move to get to the hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnwife View Post

This was not my experience AT ALL with Kid 3.  She was precipitous and I delivered her on my bathroom floor.  EMTs were fantastic and took us to the hospital of choice (which means they actually passed our closest hospital to take me where I wanted).  Baby wasn't given ANYTHING - neither was I.  No antibiotics, no tests, no additional monitoring.  I left the hospital at just over 24 hours - and was only there that long because I wanted to hold off on Vit K until one day old.  I received absolutely zero flack about not making it to the hospital on time and was, instead, regularly congratulated by the medical professionals.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#16 of 16 Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 AM

My first two were about 9 hour labors.  Looking back, I'd say they were both pretty easy, but my second one was definitely the best.  I barely had to push and I was able to do it without anything more than a shot of benedryl to help me rest because I'd been having pretty regular contractions all week and couldn't sleep.  My midwife was just concerned that I was running out of steam and wouldn't last until birth unless I got some rest.

My third one?  That STILL has me scared about childbirth two years later.  I'm pregnant with my fourth and I'm taking as many measures as I can to mentally prepare myself for a birth that's much more peaceful than his.  Labor took all of 19 hours and I was pushing for what seemed like an eternity, though was more like a half hour.  I stalled out at 7cm dilated for about four hours, then at 8cm for another six hours.  The pain in my back shot straight down my tailbone and was pretty much blinding.  When I was up and walking, my legs nearly gave out with each contraction.  I ended up having to be transferred from the birth center to the hospital where they gave me a shot of something and broke my water to try and speed things along.  I was crying the whole drive to the hospital telling my boyfriend I just wanted them to cut me open because I couldn't do it anymore.  Then when we finally got to pushing, the baby's shoulder got stuck, which is why it took longer than I'd expected.  About half the time pushing was spent trying to get him unstuck.  I was so scarred by the experience that I literally cried when I found out I was pregnant again because I didn't think I could go through childbirth again.  My poor boyfriend actually had to talk me out of just scheduling a c-section because he knew I'd never forgive myself if I decided to go that route.  We've been trying to work through the experience this whole pregnancy so I'll be able to have a better experience this time around.

I hadn't even heard about the whole wild card thing with childbirth until after my son was born and the moms I knew just nodded like they expected it.  That's when they told me the third was "always the hardest".  I'm just hoping the fourth is much easier...

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page