Anti- nausea medication during labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been wondering if there is any anti-nausea medication that is safe to take during labor. With DD I was so nauseous that a lot of the pain management techniques I learned about were unable to be used. Basically, I was so nauseous that I refused to allow anyone to touch me because it felt like my skin was crawling without someone else touching me. This made it pretty much impossible for DH to help me in any way other than verbal comfort and encouragement. I have a 30 minute ride to the hospital, and that is what triggered the nausea last time and it never went away. This wasnt really the kind of nausea that can be fixed with candied ginger or peppermint tea- it was like my whole body was clammy and the touch of any clothing, person, food, or water made me even sicker. I hope this wont happen to me again, but Im wondering if anyone has any ideas about either a way to avoid becoming this nauseous or something i can take to get past it so that I can deal with the pain. Last time, I was nauseous for over 8 hours and I think my labor would have been much faster if I hadnt been so focused on it. This time, I am going to try intentionally vomiting if it happens, but if that doesnt get rid of the nausea, Id like to have a backup plan.

It seems that Dramamine is safe, but I'm afraid that it will make me sleepy. Has anyone ever used any medication to prevent constant nausea during labor?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 08:28 AM

I was lucky and didn't have much nausea with my last birth so I don't have any personal experience.

My midwife  provided "birth supply list" this time lists : Gravol (Dimenhydrinate) suppositories and oral tabs 50 to 100mg. (Used for nausea and vomiting and also to aid with sleep in early labour.)

#3 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey office/telephone wellness sessions

I have recommended Nux Vomica homeopathic remedy to my clients.  There are other homeopathic remedies for nausea, it depends on the other symptoms connected to the nausea.  A consultation with a Homeopathy Practitioner would help.

Be well,

Nicole

#4 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM

I would avoid nux vomica while in labor and planning to breastfeed as it is made of stricnine which is poisonous to humans.  I understand that if prepared properly the poisonous elements should be removed.  Still, I would be concerned about what dosage would pass to the baby while nursing and if it might make him/her sick.  Maybe I'm being overly cautious on this but some googling shows disagreement on whether or not it's safe during pregnancy or while nursing.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#5 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks smile.gif I'm pretty sure Ive decided to go with Dramamine. Its only one dose, it lasts for 24 hours, and they have a non drowsy option. I know that it can pass to breastmilk, but I think it's the safest option for me in helping me to avoid pain medication (which all also passes to breastmilk). I am really afraid that I will not be able to deal with the pain if I am that nauseous again.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Dramamine is safe to take. But just to clarify: they don't have a non-drowsy option, they have a LESS drowsy option. I have to take it because I get horrific motion sickness, and it still makes me incredibly loopy. You might try a half a pill to start with -- you can always take more.

Nausea during labor was really bad for me with my second, and I totally understand what you're saying about it wrecking your ability to cope. With my third baby, I brought a bottle of citrus essential oil, and sniffed it whenever I felt the slightest bit nauseated. It helped A LOT. I only needed it for a few contractions, and the feeling passed.

Worth a shot!

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#7 of 12 Old 01-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Adaline'sMama you could look into Bonine (meclizine). I take it for motion sickness in the car and on boats, and I also took it for hyperemesis. It's worth checking out because it works wonders!!

eta- doesn't make me drowsy at all.

#8 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post

Adaline'sMama you could look into Bonine (meclizine). I take it for motion sickness in the car and on boats, and I also took it for hyperemesis. It's worth checking out because it works wonders!!

eta- doesn't make me drowsy at all.

Thanks! I went ahead and got the Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula before I saw this post, but I looked and it also has meclizine as the active ingredient. Im glad to hear that it didnt make you sleepy. My OB reccommend that I only take 1/4-1/2 at first and then take it in quarters every 3-4 hours until the baby is born, not exceeding the two tablet daily dosage. As far as motion sickness goes, it was really the ride to the hospital that triggered it for me last time, so Im hoping to be able to take it an hour before we leave, and then take small doses of it throughout labor, probably each time I get IV fluids (Im GBS positive). Do you always take a whole dose?

SIDS happens. 

#9 of 12 Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM

I do take the whole dose and I've never had any motion sickness on it. It also helps with the nausea I get with migraines. Always have that stuff on hand!

I hope it works for you.

eta I just saw in your sig you are due soon! yay! wishing you the best.

#10 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 AM

Hi -- I am now pregnant with #3, and went through both previous labors natrually, attended by a midwife at a well-known (and extremely respected) birth center.  However, in both labors I threw up (A LOT!) and was quickly dehydrating, until mercifully the midwife injected my thigh with a Phenergan (Promethazine).  This is a drug that has multiple uses, as you'll see if you google it.  But both times it did wonders for me in labor, stopping the nausea within minutes.  I had wanted to be 100% drug-free -- but was so glad that it was offered as an option.  Something to ask your OB/midwife about...

Good luck!

#11 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I wanted to come back and update this thread in case there are any other ladies who are curious. When I started having strong contractions, I took 1/2 a dose of Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula. It didnt make me sleepy at all, and it worked. I was only in labor for three hours, but I only got one wave of nausea during my 40 minute car ride. I also drank a ginger ale with it, so Im not sure if that helped but it never hurts, right?

SIDS happens. 

#12 of 12 Old 04-21-2012, 01:47 PM

Glad someone mentioned Promethazine.  I couldn't remember the name of it, but I had the same problem during labor--baaaaaaad nausea.  Promethazine definitely did the trick.  It doesn't make you sleepy at all, but nukes the nausea so you can keep on going!

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page