Remedies for horrible pressure in your crotch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 31 weeks along and for the last few weeks, I have been feeling a horrible pressure in my crotch, mostly around my vagina but really the whole perineal area. I know it's normal, but anyone have any remedies to help? It feels like my vagina is turning into a giant hernia and is going to explode. It's worst in the mornings after waking up. The only thing I can think to do is sit on an ice pack since that's about how it felt after I gave birth last time and that was what I did, but I was kind of hoping for something that didn't involve freezing my bits.

Thanks!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#2 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 11:53 AM

I have been having the same problem since very early on. As my pregnancy has continued it's gotten worse. The tingling pressure is so uncomfortable. I found that stretching and trying to get my blood flowing helps it stop more quickly, but other than that I haven't tried anything else.

#3 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 PM

I know it's the wrong season, but swimming, or really, just submerging your entire body in water, really helps with this.  It lifts the baby up off your perineal floor and is a very nice respite.  Stay in as long as you possibly can.  A big, deep, whirlpool tub, if you have one or know someone who does, that would work.  Your local YMCA, and any bigger fitness clubs probably have public swim times, though they likely charge a fee.  Some hotels will even let you use their pools if you play your cards right.  

This isn't a go away forever remedy, but you will feel better for most of the day.  (((HUGS))) You're getting there!

Mama of 4 beautiful little ones

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

--Dr. Suess    

#4 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 PM

Sorry no remedies to suggest but wanted to thank you for mentioning this crazy pregnancy symptom! I've felt it in all three of my pregnancies and just mentioned the other day to DH how i felt like my nonnie had "fallen asleep" (like when your foot falls asleep) but with a lot of pressure. I havent figured out a way to make that feeling go away. I only notice that it usually starts when ive been on my feet a long time, like when ive been cleaning the kitchen or standing in line at the grocery store.

#5 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 AM

I have had a similar sensation since about 30 weeks, and unfortunately I think the only real remedy is giving birth, lol :) 

I never had this sensation with my first 2 pregnancies, but I was told this baby is extremely low so I'm sure that has something to do with it. For me, it is almost a sensation of rectal pressure, which is very disconcerting.... not the most comfortable state in which to go about your daily routine! I have found that taking a warm bath helps.

Good luck! 

#6 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 10:54 AM

I've had that some and found that a pregnancy support belt helped.  My midwife prescribed me one, so my insurance paid for it.  Lifesaver for my back, too.

A therapist (34) married an engineer (37) 10/10.  Expecting our first around the first of March 2012.   Mother to a 7yo dog2.gif, stepmomma to a 10yo awesome and hilarious girl.

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**3rdtri.gif36***40**

#7 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 01:46 PM

The weight of the uterus, bag of waters, and baby all contribute to the pressure/pain.

Have you been doing kegel exercises throughout your pregnancy? If not, I would recommend doing plenty of them. Not only will it help lift the pelvic floor and aleviate the pressure, it will help delivery and post-partum.

In addition to kegels, I would tailor sit on the floor whenever possible (cross legged), squat regularly, and get on your hands and knees to do pelvic rocking. All of these exercises will help bring the uterus forward, taking some pressure off your cervix and vagina.

#8 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I don't do Kegels because the new cosensus now is they aren't good for you, and anyway, it seems super unnatural to me, BUT I do do lots of squats and tailor-sitting all the time. Also, I'm carrying really high like last time. So high, in fact, I can wear my regular jeans, even through to the end of my pregnancy. My belly just sticks so far forward away from my body. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#9 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post

I don't do Kegels because the new cosensus now is they aren't good for you, and anyway, it seems super unnatural to me, BUT I do do lots of squats and tailor-sitting all the time. Also, I'm carrying really high like last time. So high, in fact, I can wear my regular jeans, even through to the end of my pregnancy. My belly just sticks so far forward away from my body. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

What? Since when?

I have had horrible pressure there and it helps me to sit in the butterfly position and occasionally push my knees towards the floor.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 04:39 PM

I haven't heard that about Kegels, either but am interested in the reasoning. :)

Not sure if I have been experiencing the same thing, or not--but: I've had something that feels like swollen perineal/labial area since early on (I'm about 19 weeks) and it gets worse for me when I'm on my feet alot (i.e. by the time I'm in the kitchen at 2pm preparing the main meal, sometimes it's pretty uncomfortable. For a while it was so uncomfortable that I was icing, that helped alot! I even experienced this issue a few months before conception at certain times of the month. Hormonal related swelling?

I have noticed that excercise and certain yoga poses do seem to help. Strangely enough, walking and light jogging works great, it is more the standing in one place that gets me!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#11 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Just do a Google search using the keywords "kegels" and "squats" and you'll see tons of articles. Here's one:

http://mamasweat.blogspot.com/2010/05/pelvic-floor-party-kegels-are-not.html

sraplayas, what kinds of yoga positions work for you?

#12 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 10:16 AM

The blood vessels in those tissues do expand and become engorged due to the increased blood volume while pregnant and hormonal changes. Add the pressure of baby and it can become quite painful. Some women are more sensitive to it than others just as some women have extreme morning sickness while others do not. As for carrying baby high or low, that shouldn't have much effect.

I am a natural birth instructor and doula so I am always studying and have never heard anything about kegel exercises being bad or unhealthy. Everything I have read and learned proves the contrary.

Do you have a link to where you read that research? I would love to read further. :-)

#13 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM

I am going to stick to kegels until I read something from a published medical journal or clinical trials.

Personally, before pregnancy I used to have issues peeing my pants when I would sneeze, run, or laugh. I started doing kegels and not only did the incontinence disappear but I felt more sensations during intercourse and my orgasms became more powerful.

While pregnant I never lost bladder control once, and everything stayed strong after having my kids. My husband noticed the difference during intercourse when I began kegels, and says that everything is still tighter after having kids than it was before I started the exercises. So I don't understand why someone would think kegels contribute to a weakened pelvic floor.

Plus, in many third world countries, the women primarily squat to do all of their work or socialize. They have a substantially reduced rated of PFD and incontinence issues.

#14 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 05:56 PM

I stumbled across some information about rethinking the kegel after my first son's birth.  I had been doing them (correctly, according to my chiropractor) for months and noticed no improvement whatsoever.  It would be interesting to see some research, and unfortunately I don't have any journal articles for you.  All I was able to find, is that a biomechanics expert named Katy Bowmen discovered that for some women, particularly those whose pelvic floor dropped considerably after childbirth, kegels do more harm than good. She recommends squatting instead of kegels for those women, and for all others, a combination of squatting and kegels. She makes the same point that you do, naturalbirthoff, that women in countries with negligible rates of PFD squat for a good part of their day.  Even though it isn't a peer reviewed article, it's pretty interesting information and for my body personally, it was extremely helpful!  

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along
#15 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 06:48 PM

http://journeytocrunchville.wordpress.com/2010/08/17/why-you-should-stop-doing-kegels/#entry

I read this about kegels and quit doing them at about 2 months pregnant. I have been doing them for years, but after baby number 2 wetting my pants at the slightest sneeze, cough, whatever, exspecially right before ovulation and my period was just gonna happen.

I have been doing daily exersises recomended for the pelvis and pelvic floor from http://spinningbabies.com/ and from Active Birth and what a huge difference it has made! No more pants wetting.

As far as the pressure, oh yeah. I've been experiencing hat big time. I'm 26/27 weeks (I loose track) and have had a heck of a time this pregnancy with the baby hanging out transverse, putting a lot of pressure on my pelvis and my belly just being low. I've been huge for awhile now, big enough to make me wonder if there are 2 in there despite 2 ultrasounds saying no. Like I said, I've been doing exercises to help with the pelvis pressure and pain, I am usually pretty uncomfortable in the evenings. Simple floor exercises and an inversion does wonders! The last 2 weeks it feels like the baby has been turning head down more and more frequently, although baby still is all over the place, feels like it's doing cartwheels! I can tell when baby ios head down because it feels like I'm just out of transition, in that place where it feels like your about to poop but the baby has not crownwd or I'm getting shocks and shooting sensations right through my cervix. I've been getting a lot of, I'll call it engorgment, in both areas too.

Something I do not remember experienceing until the last 3 weeks with my first, and not at all with my second, is a feeling of paralisis in my lower body when I wake up. I can move, it's just slow and hard at first. I've been getting up to pee every sleep cycle (90 minutes or so) for 2 months now, and walking to the kitchen and back for a sip of water. It helps to wake everything up and prevent cramps. Getting out of bed has become really hard too. I'm having a hard time imaginging this getting worse and worse for the next 3 months.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#16 of 19 Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 AM

AbbieB, thanks for that link, I have had very similar pants-peeing-problems and I'm looking forward to trying these exercises out.  I'm 28 weeks today (very close to you!) but I guess it's never too late to start ;)

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along
#17 of 19 Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 PM

So, the two links so far are both blogs posting the exact same article from the same woman. Is there anyone else who says this besides Katy Bowman? I'm not really finding any research about it, so I'm wondering where the "consensus" that kegels arent good for you came from? It seems to be just one person who has posted the same article/interview all over the internet. While her argument makes sense, it seems like there should be more research about it somewhere.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#18 of 19 Old 01-26-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I hadn't originally read that article, so didn't realize it was the only info out there about it. I've been hearing about it for the last month or two from other moms online as well as some midwives and doulas, some of them here where I live. I'm part of a midwifery training group and there has been a lot of talk about it. I agree, some studies should be done. I did lots of Kegels with my last pregnancy and tore pretty badly during the pushing phase, but that doesn't mean it had anything to do with doing Kegels. This time, I have been doing almost none at all, just squats instead. We'll see how this birth goes. I'm interested in finding out if I notice any difference at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

So, the two links so far are both blogs posting the exact same article from the same woman. Is there anyone else who says this besides Katy Bowman? I'm not really finding any research about it, so I'm wondering where the "consensus" that kegels arent good for you came from? It seems to be just one person who has posted the same article/interview all over the internet. While her argument makes sense, it seems like there should be more research about it somewhere.

#19 of 19 Old 01-27-2012, 04:55 PM

Katy Bowman admits to being the only one who is saying this, but that doesn't mean she's wrong.  It just needs to be studied.  Like I said, I used to do millions of kegels and have an incredibly weak pelvic floor, which is why I looked into this and stumbled upon this angle.  Also if you read both articles carefully, you'll see that she never says "kegels are bad for you".  She is simply pointing out that for most women, over-doing kegels produces an extreme strength imbalance which can be corrected with glute strengthening exercises such as squats.  

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page