25 weeks pregnant Android Pelvis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

I would love to hear from anybody else if they were told they had an Android Pelvis.

I'm currently 25weeks pregnant with our first child, a baby girl :)  Last Friday the gynaecologist did an internal examination and said that I had an android pelvis, tipped backwards so that it might not be possible for the baby to drop low enough for the head to engage and if this happens I would need a ceasarean.  If the babies head engages and it's a small to medium baby they would let me 'try' to deliver naturally.

I'm 31 yrs,  5'8 and normally weigh about 53.7kg.  At 24.5 weeks the babies head was the size of 25 weeks, the stomach 26 weeks and the legs 27 weeks weighing 900grams.

I really really don't want to have a caesarean!  I know that if the baby doesn't engage or there is some other concern and I have to have a caesarean, then that's ok, i'm not really scared of the operation but this will probably be our only child and I really wanted to experience natural child birth, your water breaking, contractions etc.  I wasn't at all scared of the idea of giving birth but the idea of trying to birth a baby which then gets stuck, maybe in distress and needing a emergency caesarean really scares me.  Then I would more rather have a planned caesarean.  We have a great hospital here (Belgium) and great docs and midwives so I do trust there advice.

When do the hormones start/stop working/widening your pelvis, has this already happened or will it continue all the way to delivery?

I'm would really welcome any tips on anything I can do to increase my chances of birthing this baby naturally!  I'm sleeping on my left, sitting upright, not lounging over backwards, using a swiss ball, I will try anything that might help!!

Thanks very muchsmile.gif

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#2 of 25 Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 AM

The first thing I would do is get a second opinion.

The second thing I would do is lots and lots of research....

SpinningBabies.com has some amazing information, not which the least is this article talking about anatomy http://spinningbabies.com/more-info/anatomy-for-fetal-positioning

there are two main physiological structures working together in birth - your pelvis and babies head.  Both your pelvis and your babies head will flex and mold during labor and delivery.  

I tend not to take anything said by an OB or MW as fact without first looking for substantive evidence.

Good luck, mama!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#3 of 25 Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 AM

I wanted to add that the third thing I would do if you're planning a natural birth at a hospital is hire a doula, if you haven't already.  

It sounds like you're already being set up for fear and manipulation (you're only 25 weeks!!!  Plenty of time to for baby to be positioned well!).  You wouldn't go into a court of law and represent yourself, right?  I would never attempt a hospital birth without a doula.  No matter what you go for (no drugs, yes drugs, whatever), she is there to advocate FOR YOU, nurture you, and take care of YOUR NEEDS before anyone else's.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#4 of 25 Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM

I agree with the pp - it sounds like you're already being set up for fear-mongering and a scheduled c/s.

The pelvis as well as baby's skull will change shape and expand/contract as needed during the remainder of your pregnancy and through labor.  You will start feeling at some point like all your joints are "loose", and things just don't feel the way they "should", and that's exactly what's happening.  The relaxin hormone kicks in and it doesn't only work on your pelvic girdle, but on your whole body and every joint will start moving more.  This is one of the reasons you have to be careful about heavy lifting in late pregnancy - you can do some serious damage because your joints are no longer as stable as you're used to. 

I will say that one of the most important things during labor if you're concerned about this is positioning.  Being flat on your back on a table/bed isn't going to help your pelvis to expand.  You need a more upright position, which allows your pelvis to expand, and allows gravity to assist in the whole process.  I know when my DS was born I had to get into a fairly strange position to allow him to engage, but with help and support I did it, and he came out just fine. 

I also want to point out that just because the baby doesn't engage at some point during your pregnancy doesn't mean anything.  For many people the baby doesn't engage until labor, and sometimes not even until they're pushing.  So the simple fact they're even bringing this up at this point is a warning sign. 

I will also say that pelvimetry is an inexact science at best, and nobody can predict what your pelvis is going to do in labor. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 25 Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies!

On the spinning babies website there is a ton of good information and tips and they explain the exercises so thoroughly!  Thanks for the link...

Unfortunately 'doulas' don't exist here yet, give us a few years to catch up and then maybe :)

I guess now i'm more over the initial shock and trying to be more positive.  I have found lots of stories of women who where told they had android pelvises and birthed naturally, one even to a 10lb baby.

Yesterday a friend of mine was induced at 41 weeks, the babies head also wasn't engaged until during labour, the baby was posterior but turned during delivery (first baby didn't turn at all) the baby was 8.5lbs and although it wasn't an easy delivery everything turned out ok, there's hope yet then!

At the moment i'm using a swiss ball instead of a chair whenever possible and being on my hands and knees, this really seemed to help with a lot of the trapped gas I had, and trying not to focus on it too much, at this point in my pregnancy I feel like I could take on the world so i'm just enjoying it!  I have to go back to the gyne in a month but i'm not sure if they will do an internal then or not...

Thanks for all your advice!

#6 of 25 Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairebear3 View Post

I have to go back to the gyne in a month but i'm not sure if they will do an internal then or not...

Just so you know, there's no reason for an internal exam at this stage of pregnancy.  None whatsoever.  And unless and until they're looking for a Bishop Score to discuss induction, or you're in active labor, there isn't a reason for them going forward, either.  Of course, that's barring medical complications. 

I would just keep my pants on around this doc. 

Katie8681 likes this.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 25 Old 02-01-2012, 09:58 AM

I just want to echo allthe other ladies said Get a second opionion asap. And do your research. I have had 4 fullterm births and none of them included babies that were engaged before labor or pushing for that matter. I suppose what I am saying is lack of an engaged baby before labor or even in late stages of labor does not mean there can not be a successful vaginal delivery.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

#8 of 25 Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah it was prob my fault that I had an internal.  I had been a few days before to have the sugar tolerance test and that afternoon and the day after I had some random pains/twinges and I wasn't quite sure what they where so she checked to see that I wasn't dilated.  Apparently 'everything' was closed up and high up enough!

#9 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update if anyone is still following this.

I just came back from the hospital for my 34 week check up and our baby is still breech.  Last week  tried moxa and a visit to an osteopath but it obviously hasn't helped.  I have to go back in two weeks but the gyne says there is not much chance of her turning (even though she is still laying up high) because there just isn't any room, this is why she says they won't try to turn her.  Her estimated weight at the moment is about 2.9kg, i'm very thin and my stomach is very taught, just no room! So a planned cesarean.

I couldn't keep my eyes on the road from crying all the way back and now I just feel really disappointed.  I know I shouldn't, I know the number one objective is getting her out safely but I'm just dreading not even been able to pick her up, changer/bath her the first time.  My husband will have to stay over otherwise the midwife will take the baby through the night.

Pfff why all these rich women choose for cesareans I don't know, I just feel terrible.

#10 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 AM

34 weeks is not too late to turn! Dd was about 37 weeks before she turned. Look at spinning babies they have some exercises you can do. Also finding a chiropractor trained on the Webster technique will help baby turn.

Good luck!
onlyboys likes this.

Newly SAHM to DD - 11/30/06 and DS - 1/3/10 * 10 week loss 10/13/11 * Cautiously expecting a September Surprise

#11 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Claire these doctors are doing you a HUGE disservice! 34 weeks is NOT when you get upset about your baby being breech!

"Taught stomach" - "No room" - oooohhhhh, you mean a "new reason to sign you up for a cesarean" - yup. You didn't buy the last reason, so now they are going to give you a new one. This is bullshit, mama, don't you let them walk on you like this. Won't even try to turn you because you're stomach is too taught. Wow. I guess you're the first short skinny lady with good abs to ever have a breech baby, huh?

Please..PLEASE mama, DO NOT let this stress and worry into your core. DO NOT allow them to have you visualizing this baby is just "stuck breech". Keep things up on spinningbabies.com, keep sitting on your ball, doing your stretches and positions and visualize that baby turning. This is ridiculous. You still have six weeks to go and I promise you mama, as impressive as your "taught stomach" surely is...it's not "too small" for your baby to turn. These people are idiots.

Sorry to use such strong language, but this is out of control. They've been trying to cut you open from the get go. No doctor in his right mind tells a lady in her 34th week of pregnancy that "it's all over, this baby is never going to turn" - most MWs and OBs I know don't even start CARING if your baby is breech until 34-35 weeks...forget about giving up on a baby turning at that time. That's insane.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#12 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to go back to trying inversions, but i'm not trying to get my hopes up too much.  Trying to be a bit more rational than the emotional blob I was this morning!

Thanks for replying!

#13 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear3 View Post

I'm going to go back to trying inversions, but i'm not trying to get my hopes up too much.  Trying to be a bit more rational than the emotional blob I was this morning!

Thanks for replying!

Seriously mama...I'm not trying to say to you "if you just think happy thoughts, this will all work out for you" - but "trying not to get your hopes up" is the exact opposite of helpful for you right now. This is normal and okay...tons and tons of women have babies breech at 34 weeks...and they flip. What is it, less than 5% of babies end up being breech at term?? Honey, chances are this kid is going to turn...but it won't be because you were scared and sad! I'm not trying to tell you how to feel....but don't let THEM tell you how to feel, either!

You need to make up your mind that this kid will turn and you need to focus on that, visualize that and keep doing your positioning, etc.

This little girl I'm growing right now was breech....then flipped for my 30 week appointment....and now, at just about 32 weeks, is breech again. My other kids were both head down and IN my vagina starting at 27 weeks and never moved. They all do their own thing and flip in their own time...but the cast majority of babies will flip head down before birth.

Please try to do some research about this and realize how terrible these docs are being. This is insane. 34 weeks is not even CLOSE to "freak out" time. :(

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#14 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 PM

yeahthat.gif

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#15 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 02:21 PM

I have seen one birth to a mom with a very obviously android pelvis.  Her baby came out OP, which was suprising to us all, but he DID come out.  Her pelvis was extremely narrow, and the labor did take slightly longer than typical, but at no point was a cesarean considered.  I also have to agree...there's not a guarantee that your baby will turn, but at 34 weeks, there is still several weeks for your baby to flip to vertex.  Wish you the best.

#16 of 25 Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 AM

My last dd was breech at 34 weeks.  Before I was 35 weeks I had an incredibly uncomfortable day because she turned!  She was not small (9lbs at birth) and I have no room (under 4'11").  I have a friend whose 10lber turned during labor!  Don't give up hope!

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#17 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies ladies.

I still have three weeks before any planned CS so i'm trying 'everything'!  3 inversions a day, 20 mins of laying with my hips on a pile of cushions in bed, laying with a hot pack on my crotch, resting a cold glass of water on the top of my belly, you name it i'll try itROTFLMAO.gif

In the evenings I can almost feel her laying transverse across my stomach but where she is laying most of the time with her head stuck under my ribs is getting quite sore.  Been taking a lot of very deep baths that cover my stomach too.

I'm not giving up!  My other half is just worried that this baby is going to be as stubborn as me though :)  The strange things is it never ever occur ed to me that she wouldn't be in the right position so I guess it was just a big shock.  The operative part of the CS doesn't bother me too much, it's just the recovery and not being able to change or bath her myself in the beginning.  I'm a bit of a control freak which doesn't really help...

Thank you!

#18 of 25 Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM

A c-section for breech is a very wise choice on your part, especially with anything other than a roomy gynecoid pelvis. I'm sure your c-section will go beautifully and soon you will have a precious new baby in your arms! Good for you for working with your doctor. I hope she turns for you, but if not, a c-section can be a beautiful thing for situations such as this. Good luck!!! Keep us posted! orngbiggrin.gif

onlyboys likes this.

CNM mama.

#19 of 25 Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM

clairbear - I had a c-section for a breech baby.  The recovery was not as bad as I thought it would be.  It certainly wasn't as easy I wanted it to be caring for my newborn, but it was do able.  I never had any problems changing clothes, diapers or giving my baby a bath even in the hospital. 

I know your disappointed, but a CS really is a "wise choice" for a breech baby.   While many babies can be born breech without a problem, it's not worth the risk.  Many older women I've talked to who had breech births always say they wish they had been given the option of a c-section.  The babies ended up being fine, but were always beat up when they came out.  One woman even told me she was afraid to hold her baby because the baby was so bruised from the birth. 

BTW - My baby flipped to breech at 37 weeks.  Just be careful trying to get the baby into the right position.  You don't want the cord to get tangled.  ;)

Me & DH, DS 12/07superhero.gif, DD 10/12 luxlove.gif  and puppy love dog2.gif.
#20 of 25 Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.  I guess i'm coming to terms with it.  The gyne suggested banning visits for the first two days which sounds like the best idea (excuse) ever for having a few days to ourselves in the hospital!  I also had a friend visit the other day who had a cesarean at out hospital and she really told me step by step everything they do.  We get our 'official' room straight away and you have time to unpack and organize your things before they come to get you ready which was also bugging me.

I was also able to negotiate with my gyne having at least one arm free, being totally strapped down would really freak me out and that's the standard practice here.  She said it was OK as long as I would promise not to try and help her out with the surgery :)  Vaginally birthing breech babies isn't allowed in our hospital.  They did a study that concluded that breech babies who where born via c-section versus vaginal delivery generally did better so legally they can't do it in case something goes wrong.  A midwife will also come to the house everyday for 2 weeks when we get home for injections but they also really help out if you having trouble bathing/feeding the baby etc.

On Thursday I will know something definite but I don't think she's turned.  I was going to try and book an appointment at a beauticians who has a hot tub to see if floating around would help but a friend told me you can't go in a hot tub when your pregnant because of bacteria??  Surely they either chlorinate the water or use fresh for every customer?  I can't imagine they would make you bathe in someone elses bathwater?  Ick!

Thanks for your posts, it's nice to hear from people who've been there...

#21 of 25 Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have an adroid pelvis. It did cause a delay in the baby's descent (about five hours after I dialeted fully) but I was easily able to birth her vaginally. With my second, my chiro loosened the ligments and did some adjustments that made the second birth a breeze.

You should know that fetal measurements in utero are wildly inaccurate, usually used in fear-mongering with the baby being "too big."

#22 of 25 Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh. The second baby was breech but was moved by the chiro I saw.

#23 of 25 Old 04-26-2012, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

So 30 April is the big day for me shy.gif  Our baby is still breech so we will be having a c-section at 38 weeks.  I asked why it couldn't be at 39 weeks but the gyne said most women go into labour 2 weeks before or one week after their due date so it was best to do it at 38 weeks, which I agree with.  If it's going to be a c-section anyway then more rather a planned one than a middle of the night dash to the hospital where I would get the on call not gyne, not my own.

I have to stop eating and drinking at midnight Sunday, be at the hospital for about 11am and the surgery is scheduled around 13pm, if there aren't any emergencies in between.  I get an enema when I get there ('lovely') and then a catheter which has to stay in until Wednesday and a drip that has to stay also until Wednesday, then the epidural.  They do all the prep work in the OR, open me up, then my husband comes about 1 min before the baby is born.  I am allowed to keep one arm free, thank goodness because it was really freaking me out the idea of being strapped down.  They show the baby the minute she's out then DH can go and make pics while they weigh her etc, then I get to hold her for a few mins.  Then they go back to the room while I go to the recovery.  Gyne says they try to keep it as short as poss, about 45 mins until I can move my toes, then i'm off back to our room and the nurses come to try and help me breast feed her straight away.  No food until Wednesday lunch time, then it's broth, yuck!  Visits will be allowed from Wed pm and then Thurs I can have a shower.  I will prob have to stay until Fri/Sat.

I have found some really good tips on-line, I have some of those control knickers that come up to your hips, I have ordered a second support band (get one from the hospital along with support stockings which you have to keep on for ages), and the freezer is stocked up for WW3.  I also read a tip that when the dressing is off the scar to use a panty liner on it so the fabric from your underwear doesn't stick to it.  I went this week for a hair cut and to get a pedicure (can't reach those toes anymore!).  Sat night we are going out for dinner, just the two of us.  Sunday will be a day of cleaning the house top to bottom and having my last bath for 6 weeks which I will really miss.  Then Monday morning a shower and washing my hair.

Pff... I think i'm ready, just had to re-pack my bag because I had new pj's packed but with the catheter I won't be able to get them on.  I'm not nervous yet, I think that will probably kick in the night before.  I am thinking about the baby being OK, or something going wrong in the surgery but I think I would prob have that with a natural birth too.  In the OR there will be my gyne, a nurse, a midwife, a pediatrician, a anesthetist and my husband.

I think they like you to stay in bed until the third day but I have read a lot on-line that the sooner you get up the better?  I might get DH to help me do some sneaky laps around the room if it goes with the catheter and drip...

I will come back in a couple of weeks to let you know how it goes...

#24 of 25 Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Sounds like you are all ready!

It's interesting that they will do your c-section at 38 weeks.  The new trend is not to do any elective c-sections before 39 weeks because they are afraid of lung development problems.  They wouldn't section a friend of mine this week because it would have been one day before 39 weeks.  That said I had my breech baby at 38 weeks via a c-section and he & I were both fine!

Did you doctor tell you wouldn't be able to get up for 3 days?  They were ready to get me off my morphine drip, catheter and up a few hours after surgery.  My section was around 2pm and by the next day I was in my own clothes, using the potty and moving around the room.  I also didn't have any food restrictions, but then broth might have helped with the constipation from the pain meds/abdominal surgery.   All of which make me want to ask are you in the US?

Good Luck!!  Hope all goes well!!  -- Just keep thinking about holding your healthy baby.

Me & DH, DS 12/07superhero.gif, DD 10/12 luxlove.gif  and puppy love dog2.gif.
#25 of 25 Old 04-28-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

And no i'm in Belgium smile.gif

My friend had her first naturally at 38 weeks and then the second via c-section also at 38 weeks so it just seems to be the way they do it.  Apparently the first day they help you stand up and then back down, the second day they help you into a chair and back and on the third day they remove the catheter and drip and you are supposed to miraculously feel much better!  Hope so...not to nervous yet, just hope everything will be ok.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page