TENS machine for back pain during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about using a TENS machine for low back pain during pregnancy?   I can find lots of posts about using it during labor, but what about pregnancy?   I'm 7 weeks and already having lots of low back pain (thanks to my 2yo who always wants to be picked up/carried.) 

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#2 of 4 Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 AM

Hi, I used a TENS when I labored with my last birth. I have SPD, in my case the ligaments that connect from the tailbone to the hips. The TENS signal blocks the pain receptors, and I found it was helpful. I am having a hard time with lower back pain, too.

Someone in my DDC just pointed out this technique is for strained ligaments http://spinningbabies.com/techniques/activities-for-fetal-positioning/inversion. I also use ice packs, my PCP says that the cold ( and I mean cold, several minutes) can block the inflammation response, too. I am doing everything I can to keep this from getting out of contol again, I was induced at 39 weeks last time because I had been in constant pain, unable to sleep, for weeks. I heard celery is a natural anti inflammatory, too. Good luck! 

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#3 of 4 Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejeff View Post

I can find lots of posts about using it during labor, but what about pregnancy? 

Sorry, my brother in law has used it for arthritis pain. I used it for labor because it took that long to get my hands on one. I see my primary soon, glad you posted this, I will ask for a script next week. It should not matter when it's used or what pain you are treating (and I was treating back pain during my labor) the machine works the same way.  

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#4 of 4 Old 02-04-2012, 11:12 PM

I used a TENS unit during my last trimester with DD, and with this pregnancy. I have a muscle condition that causes a lot of spasms and rigidity, and coupled with SPD and the weight of my belly, it gets really painful. I got the TENS unit from my chiropractor. It is pretty effective for dealing with the pain and restless legs that I get in the last trimester. It is generally regarded as safe during pregnancy, but I don't know of any studies, either.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page