Blood in the stool - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How much do I need to worry, really???

Sorry in advance for waaaaaay TMI, but....

It started a couple of weeks ago when I hadn't had a BM in a week due to my hyperemesis (severe nausea and vomiting, dehydration) and all of the medications I'm on.  Constipation is a well-known side effect of all that.  I've since started taking a stool softener every day, and now I have a BM almost every day but they're still pretty difficult.

Most days I can see some bright red blood in the toilet and on the tp- I'm sure it's from the back end, IYKWIM.  I have no other pain or discomfort down there at any other time.

I'm really not worried, because I can pinpoint exactly why and when it started, and I knew that constipation was an expected side effect.  But at the same time, once I started going regularly I really thought it would stop.

What say you guys????

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM

Blood in the stool and blood on the paper are two different things.

Blood in the stool would not be red, it would be black.  And that would be something to call your OB/MW about, possibly even a trip to the ER. 

Blood on the paper is usually caused by either anal tearing or hemmorhoids (or both).  I'd work on increasing foods in your diet that soften stool/avoiding binding foods on top of your stool softener.  I would still talk to your OB/MW about it, but chances are it's not anything major. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

OK- that's what I thought.  I don't have anything black in the stool- but you can tell there's blood AROUND stuff in the bowl.  KWIM??

(Trying not to gross myself out as I fight off nausea 24/7)

I can't change my diet- I can barely eat and stay hydrated as it is.  I'm on the Zofran pump and had 24/7 IV fluids thru home/health nurses until 2 weeks ago and have lost 25 pounds from the nausea/vomiting.  I'm lucky to eat at all, let alone try to change my diet.

But I agree, under normal circumstances with a normal pg, diet would be the first thing I would look at, too.

#4 of 6 Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 AM

I'm struggling with constipation myself.  This is something new for me.  I also have an anal fissure or tear.  I have blood after a BM and pain.  My big concern is with the fissure because it isn't as if I can stop with the BMs and let it heal first.  It seems to open/get reinjured every day.  :(

I did a little googling.  Which I highly recommend.  A big part of the fix is diet.  Which I know you can't change atm, but maybe down the road?  

LOTS of water, stay hydrated, when you feel the urge to go, go, don't hold it cause the longer you do the more your body will pull water from the stool.  Not good.

Oh, and sitz baths to help promote healing and relaxation.  These are supposed to be done several times a day.  

this is from: http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/medical-conditions-diseases/how-heal-anal-fissure-25086.html

Fissures and Hemmeroids are very hard to heal! Here are some steps that have really helped me:
1. Before you make a bowel movement, smear Vaseline outside and a little inside your anus.
2. Clean after your bowel movement with Cottenelle Flushable Wipes.
3. After you are clean, use a Tucks Medicated Pad with Witch Hazel. I also found it helpful to put it on the anus and stand up while brushing my teeth leaving the Tucks on for a few minutes before you throw it away.
4. At least once a day, sit in a hot/warm bath with Epsom Salts (1-2 cups depending on how much water you are using).
5. Eat nothing but fruit for breakfast up to Noon.
6. Drink lots of water & juice during the day.
GOOD LUCK!

this link is funny and to the point

http://www.ambiguous.org/quinn/medical/fissure.html

Okay, this got a lot longer then I thought.  Sorry 'bout that.  I hope this helps some.

Good Luck

#5 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 AM

This is kind of an embarrassing thing to have to admit, so I understand.  First off, let me tell you that this is something I've had to deal with during each of my pregnancies and for a good while after birth.  It's uncomfortable and no fun, but the good news is it's normal and it's nothing to be too majorly concerned with.

The suggestions of the sitz bath, warm bath with epsom salts, witch hazel, and keeping hydrated are all great helps.  I know food is a problem, but if you can eat as much fruit, even dried fruits as you can tolerate, that helps.  Additional fiber can also help too.  Another thing (that may not be an option for you with how you're feeling) is exercise.  I don't know how it helps, but every doctor has always told me exercise can help with constipation.  If you can manage it, give it a try.

Personally, I've never found anything that stops it completely, but it does ease everything up so it's not as painful and uncomfortable as it has been in the past.  Even stool softeners are great, but they don't always stop the problem completely.  I wish that I could offer you more than just knowing it's not just you that has this problem.

#6 of 6 Old 02-05-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasyn View Post

I wish that I could offer you more than just knowing it's not just you that has this problem.

Actually, that's pretty awesome and a lot of what I was looking for.  Thanks.  

Tags
Pregnancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page