Sleeping position during pregnancy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

When should pregnant women start sleeping on the left side and stop sleeping on their backs as much as possible? I am guessing not until after 14-16 weeks but am I wrong and they should start it right away?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM

I'm curious to know.  I have always slept however I wished, and at 20 weeks, my baby-to-be seemed very healthy on her ultrasound.  I believe my friend who is on her second pregnancy has always slept according to her own comfort, as well.

It is the case that I am on my left side the majority of the time, since my husband tosses a lot in his sleep, and facing him (which would require a turn to the right) can be hazardous, with all those flying elbows.  Still, I change positions whenever I become uncomfortable.

#3 of 20 Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Stop sleeping on your back - as soon as the baby starts getting heavy, and laying on your back makes you uncomfortable in any way. 

Start sleeping on your left side - unless you have HBP or another medical reason for it, this is not necessary.  Sleep however you can get comfortable, you'll get little enough sleep soon enough. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 20 Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#5 of 20 Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I never worried a bit about this...of course by the end of things, no matter what you do, you're gonna be too uncomfortable to sleep in ANY position.

mck211 and Maisigh like this.
#6 of 20 Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I asked my doctor about this early on because a few of the pregnancy books I was looking through were terrifying about it.  She said your body will tell you when it's time to stop.  I usually sleep mostly on one side or another, but I'm sometimes more comfortable on my back so I sleep that when in those cases.  I have my doc's sworn statement that it's safe as long as it is comfortable.  She pointed out that in those cases the baby's weight does start interfering with circulation you'll have a hard time breathing and your legs will fall asleep.  It's not like you're silently smothering the baby or anything. 

I'm 25 weeks and still back sleeping when I feel like it.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#7 of 20 Old 04-21-2012, 04:23 PM

I don't have any complications...my midwife told me to sleep how I'm comfortable.
#8 of 20 Old 04-21-2012, 11:20 PM

I can still sleep on my stomach comfortably at 26 weeks and my doctor said don't worry about sleeping positions during pregnancy.  I laid on my back for awhile today in the full sun outside, it wasn't uncomfortable.  My doctor said my body will tell me when it isn't comfortable/right and I am not going to hurt the baby sleeping.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#9 of 20 Old 04-22-2012, 06:42 AM

I recently read this story about someone whose body told her she was in a bad sleeping position on her back: http://blogs.babble.com/being-pregnant/2012/04/16/why-sleeping-on-your-back-is-no-joke/

It sounds like she is somewhere further along in the 2nd trimester, (the tag in the article says 3rd trimester) but she doesn't clearly indicate how many weeks she is.

hola.gifAndaluza (36) & dh (39), married 11 years! babyboy.gif M 8/23/12.  One cat.gif

#10 of 20 Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

As additional anecdotal evidence (for whatever it's worth), I woke up twice last night on my back and my right arm had fallen asleep.  It was just resting on top of me, so it wasn't squished or anything.  As soon as I rolled over, my circulation normalized and everything was fine.  Your body really does tell you when to change positions. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#11 of 20 Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I read "after the second trimester". I'm in week 17 and can already feel the weight of my uterus while on my back. It feels only slightly uncomfortable, no symptoms of hypotension yet, but it might be time for me to start sleeping on my side already.

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/2RSWm4.png

#12 of 20 Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM

I ran into this with my last pregnancy in the mid third trimester and it was absolutely awful.  Starting in the second trimester I made a concentrated effort not to sleep on my back but since that was my normal default sleep position pre-pregnancy I would awaken on my back having rolled at some point while I was sleeping.  By the 32 weeks or so I would awaken with tingly hands and legs.  To try and stop me from rolling over I sandwiched myself between pillows with only enough room to sleep on my side.  Didn't stop me all that much and sleeping on my back never felt uncomfortable.

The real scare came at about at 35 weeks when I awoke suddenly gasping out of a deep sleep.  My legs had gone totally numb.  I felt like the room was spinning and fading in and out.  I was on my back and in a blind panic I started flailing (waking DH) who helped me roll over.  After I was able to take some deep breaths and regulate my heart beat (which was way too slow)  I noticed my little baby moving erratically and frantically.  Not the normal "I'm gonna keep mommy awake" pattern I had been acustomed too.  Luckily everything was fine (a frantic midnight call to the midwife and hours upon hours of kick counts and worries later).  After that I slept on a low padded bench (with a mattress below in case I rolled off) that was not wide enough for me to sleep on my back.

Just an example of someone who has encountered it.  Its a real issue but it does not effect all pregnant women.  I started training myself to sleep on my side as soon as I saw those two pink lines this time around.  But my last experience left me a little jumpy.

****  ****  ****  *** ****  ****  ****  *babyf.gif**  ****  ****

WOHM to one and expecting another between 8/13/12 and 9/12/12.

#13 of 20 Old 04-25-2012, 11:45 AM

RedTree-- scarey! That is something I'm afraid of.

LilyTiger-- I have had those same experiences w/ sleeping on my back. It's funny, it was NEVER comfortable for me before pregnancy.  I'd hear it was the perfect sleep position (for non-preggos) and tried for a while to get myself to sleep on my back to no avail.  Until I became pregnant! And now it is the most comfortable position for me, go figure.  I think it's because I like to lay on my back while I fall asleep so I can rest my hands on my stomach and maybe feel a few kicks.  At any rate, I've woken up several times now (at 22 weeks) with my arms asleep (resting on my chest, not squished at all).

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#14 of 20 Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 PM

I'm not a back sleeper.  I want to know how long I can safely sleep on my tummy!

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
#15 of 20 Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndVee View Post

I'm not a back sleeper.  I want to know how long I can safely sleep on my tummy!

Baby will let you know! With my DS I couldn't sleep on my tummy much past 25 weeks. But this time I'm still sleeping on my tummy, and I'm 36 weeks. It doesn't hurt the baby any, but it will usually get to the point it's not comfortable any longer.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#16 of 20 Old 05-01-2012, 01:54 PM

What about sleeping on your right side.  It's so much more comfy to me than my left, although I do make an effort to sleep on my left side, I wake up on my right. 

I've heard that your body knows what's going on and you will feel physically uncomfortable before any damage is done.  That makes sense to me!

#17 of 20 Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 PM

So happy to hear this, as I've been wondering what to do since I'm a back sleeper. Thanks all.
#18 of 20 Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 PM

So happy to hear this, as I've been wondering what to do since I'm a back sleeper. Thanks all.
#19 of 20 Old 07-10-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisa View Post
<p>I read "after the second trimester". I'm in week 17 and can already feel the weight of my uterus while on my back. It feels only slightly uncomfortable, no symptoms of hypotension yet, but it might be time for me to start sleeping on my side already.</p>
I recently read the article about tips on sleeping during pregnancy which I found to be beneficial http://www.tinylove.com/pregnancy/be...-nights-sleep/.
It says that The most important point to remember here is to go with what feels comfortable for you. Doctors, however, recommend sleeping on your left side. There is evidence to indicate that a major vein on the right side of the body allows increased blood flow throughout the body, including to the placenta, when pregnant women sleep on their left side.
A lot of people have recommended pregnancy pillows on here (to use when sleeping on your side) - I certainly find it's helping now I'm getting bigger.
#20 of 20 Old 07-24-2014, 05:35 AM

I am a back sleeper, so far I haven't faced any problems. I have been using several pregnancy pillows for support as well.

Tags
Pregnancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page