What is the likelihood of GD if you've never had it before? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm considering skipping the GD test, since the military hospital only does it with Glucola. When I did that in my first pregnancy I got extremely sick, so I did a normal meal the second time around. This is my third pregnancy and I didn't have GD in either of the others. There is no history of GD or diabetes in my family at all, except for my maternal grandmother who developed type 2 diabetes later in life, probably as a result of her sedentary lifestyle and obesity. I was a healthy weight before pregnancy, good BMI and all that (5'0"; 102 lbs; 19.9 BMI). Does any of this mean I'm at very low risk? I'm 33, if that matters. I'm just wondering if having two pregnancies without it means you're unlikely to get it in the 3rd. I know having it in one makes you more likely to have it in another, but is the opposite also true?

Also, the NP I see at the military OB insists that it needs to be done as closely as possible to 28 weeks. However, they have incorrectly adjusted my due date, meaning they're off by several days. Does this actually matter? If it does, I want to be there when I know I'm 28 weeks, not when they say I am. I had never heard that timing was important for the GD test, just for things like the Quad Screen and such.

#2 of 2 Old 02-10-2012, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The risk of GD in the subsequent pregnancies of a woman who has never before had it is significantly lowered. Here's a brief article about it. You can weigh this info with any risk factors you may have to help you with your choice.  

Mama of 4 beautiful little ones

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

--Dr. Suess    

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page