nettles during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have been taking nettle capsules for allergies (and bromelain and quercetin) for allergies. Do you know if these are safe?

I know nettles are often in teas for pregnancy. There seems to be a lot online saying not to take nettles but then some (like Dr Weil) say it is ok to take it.

anyone been told one thing or another? For any of the above?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I used to work at a herbalist, and any herbs other than chamomile and peppermint were recommended against during pregnancy, unless prescribed. So I personally wouldn't risk it without speaking to a herbalist first.

If it's hayfever you are using it for, apparently local honey really helps.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Nettle tea is something the midwife I work with suggests to all her clients.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM

I'm doing a daily infusion of red raspberry leaf and nettle.  No adverse effects so far.

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 AM

Things must have changed since I worked there; it was about 6 years ago! Do they suggest nettle and raspberry leaf throughout pregnancy, or just the third trimester? I guess it could also be that Scotland is a little different when it comes to herbal recommendations :)

Anyway, that's good to know; nettles are high in iron, which would be useful for pregnancy.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:51 AM

Nettle is a blood clotting medicine, so treat it as such. Do you really need that effect?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:05 PM

I ignored my mw's advice to drink nettle & red raspberry leaf tea in my first pregnancy, and bled enough after delivery to need injections of pitocin and methergine after the herbs she gave me did not stop the bleeding.

In my second pregnancy, I drank the tea, and had almost no bleeding. Of course, I can't be sure that the tea made the difference, but I certainly don't think it hurt.

I'm on my third pregnancy, and I need to go out and get the herbs, because I'm definitely drinking that tea in my third trimester. 

Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM

I drank nettle/oatstraw/RRL infusion daily while pregnant.  I had a great pregnancy and birth, and have a super laid back newborn.  I think the nettles helped me feel good, and The Natural Pregnancy book by Aviva Jill Romm recommends nettles a lot, along with Susun Weed. 

Old 02-25-2012, 05:38 AM

I too took nettle and raspberry leaf tea during my first pregnancy, at the recommendation of a midwife, and a friend who is a trained, professional herbalist.  I had no ill effects due to the herbs.

"It is not I who am crazy...it is I who am MAD!!!"
-Ren, "Space Madness", The Ren & Stimpy Show, 1991
Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 AM

My first cup of nettle tea is brewing right now!  My midwife recommends RRL and nettle tea twice daily in her 'general info' sheet.  That said, it doesn't smell very good (like overcooked frozen spinach), so I added a bit of rooibus for a familiar flavor.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 PM

I've always drank nettle and rrl tea. This pregnancy I didn't start drinking the tea until the 3rd trimester, so I took nettle leaf supplements since the second trimester. Nettle leaf is one of the best herbs for preg women I can think of!

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

Old 02-26-2012, 04:36 PM

I guess I am the only one who was on blood thinners while pregnant. Blood thinners + Nettle = pretty dumb. Perhaps I just don't believe in medications that are good for *everyone*. (Disclaimer: I've used Nettle tea since I was a teen, to prevent heavy bleeding during menstruation.)

Old 02-27-2012, 02:30 AM

I drank nettle tea in my 2nd pregnancy and am drinking it now in my 3rd. My midwives for both thought it was perfectly fine. For my 2nd pregnancy, I used a CNM/CPM team. This time my midwife is also an ND, so she's pretty well-versed in what herbs are and are not safe to use during pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDouble View Post

I guess I am the only one who was on blood thinners while pregnant. Blood thinners + Nettle = pretty dumb. Perhaps I just don't believe in medications that are good for *everyone*. (Disclaimer: I've used Nettle tea since I was a teen, to prevent heavy bleeding during menstruation.)

No one in this thread said *everyone* should use it, so I'm not sure exactly why you even felt the need to make that comment. One or two people said their midwives recommend it to all of their patients, but I don't think that makes it safe to assume that their midwives recommend it to women who are taking blood thinners. How many midwives are even caring for women on blood thinners? I would assume women who need blood thinners are seeing an OB anyway, but I'm not familiar with that scenario, so perhaps not. The OP simply asked if other people were using it or knew anything about it.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
No one in this thread said *everyone* should use it, so I'm not sure exactly why you even felt the need to make that comment. One or two people said their midwives recommend it to all of their patients, but I don't think that makes it safe to assume that their midwives recommend it to women who are taking blood thinners. How many midwives are even caring for women on blood thinners? I would assume women who need blood thinners are seeing an OB anyway, but I'm not familiar with that scenario, so perhaps not. The OP simply asked if other people were using it or knew anything about it.

And that's what I answered: that I was familiar with it, and how I used it for years. And why I stopped using it, fashionable though it might be and highly nutritious.

The same kind of threads are going on about Red Raspberry leaf tea, it's supposed to be some kind of a magic potion for pregnant women. I've known about it for a while, and it's good, but it is not as miraculous as some describe it to be. At least there are some dissenting voices there that mention midwives being aware of counter-indications, and some women stating they had fast and easy births without RRL.

I've mentioned before that I had training as a herbalist. So I don't react to hyped-up remedies with excitement (especially when an old stand-by like nettle is described as a newly-discovered miracle cure), I always ask myself "What is it for? What are the side effects? Who should not take it? Would it be a bad combo with my current meds?" I don't see why that is bad.

The OP didn't even mention any midwives, by the way. And I don't understand why my post in this thread would be unwelcome if I'm seen by an OB and not a midwife. As for why I "even felt the need to make that comment" - gosh, I forgot to get permission for it, how naughty of me! Or, maybe, I posted it in the "I'm Pregnant" forum because someone with a blood clotting disorder might read it and will find it useful!

Tags
Pregnancy
User Tag List