Pregnant & got very annoyed at work-now worried I've harmed my baby :-( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me to set my mind at rest. I am 9 weeks pregnant so firstly it is hard work keeping the pregnancy a secret. I am school teacher. A few students are being very argumentative at the moment even though they finally admit that they were in the wrong I have to go through a heated argument with the individual's in order to finally resolve the problem. One student in particular really got to me Friday afternoon, really upset me and got me very wound up. Afterwards I really wished I had just walked away from the situation. But I had sent him to another room and tried to reason with the student, nothing I did was working and therefore got myself in a state. I feel worse now thinking I have harmed my baby by getting stressed. :-( I can't stop thinking about it-worrying about worrying! What a vicious circle this is. I just want a healthy baby.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Oh hon, there is no stress-free pregnancy in the world - it's impossible, and slight stress is not going to harm your fetus.

There are mothers all over the world who carry healthy babies to term despite way worse stress than we can even fathom - domestic violence, destitution, war, famine, etc.  Try to take care of yourself as best as possible, but know that worrying or even a verbal argument is NOT going to harm your baby.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 PM

please try not to worry. everyone - everyone - gets stressed during pregnancy. I've experienced some pretty severe stress that was out of my hands. my mother has experienced severe stress. I don't know anybody who hasn't, but all the babies have been healthy and happy. worrying about having stressed out will probably just prolong your stress! 

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 PM

You have to tone down the worry, or you're going to have a miserable pregnancy. Normal daily stress doesn't hurt babies--you going crazy with worry over every little stressor during pregnancy is much more likely to hurt YOU. Take care of yourself--go have a nice meal, or take a bath, or whatever you usually do to help yourself feel better after a stressful day (except maybe heavy drinking:-).

Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all 3 replies, a great help, I've had the weekend to relax. It's such early stages of pregnancy and all new to me. Really don't know what to expect or experience during pregnancy and I didn't want to make matters worse by stressing, I will take on all your advice, it has been reassuring. Not feeling well this morning, very hot and faint, drinking lots of water and eating regularly. Thank you-very much appreciated. :-)

Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM

This.  You will be ok :) Try not to worry too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindchen View Post

You have to tone down the worry, or you're going to have a miserable pregnancy. Normal daily stress doesn't hurt babies--you going crazy with worry over every little stressor during pregnancy is much more likely to hurt YOU. Take care of yourself--go have a nice meal, or take a bath, or whatever you usually do to help yourself feel better after a stressful day (except maybe heavy drinking:-).

Old 02-20-2012, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Stress is inevitable.  I got pregnant last Feb and at my job, March through June is considered our busiest season with another rush in the fall (training dogs on Invisible Fence).  So during all of my morning sickness, I had to work mandatory 6 days a week, 10+ hours a day, trudging through various terrain and weather, lugging shovels, a pick axe, and a large spool of wire for fixes, and getting dragged by unruly dogs for trainings.  Well the heavy snow last year made our busy season last a lot longer to mak up for a slow winter.  I stressed daily, I told my employer waaaaaay earlier than I had wanted about my pregnancy (about 7 weeks) because of the nature of the work and I didn't want them to think I was slacking but my energy level just wasn't up to par.  They were horribly inconsiderate so I made the best of it and relaxed as much as I could on days off.  My daughter was born at 39wks 1 day, 7.5lbs 19" healthy as could be, amazed the nurses with her strength on day 1.  So don't fret, babies are pretty resilient :-)

Tags
Pregnancy
User Tag List