Advice on heartburn/bile coming up my throat when sleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I didn't have this problem with my last pregnancy.

I don't technically have heartburn and it does not hurt at all when it happens, but sometimes I wake up to bile coming up my throat. Any ideas on how to prevent that? There's no pain or physical discomfort when it happens, but the taste is awful. :-P

I tried lying on an incline, but wake up super stiff and in a lot of pain that way. I really need to be flat.

I'm 35 weeks today. It doesn't seem to matter what or when I eat. The variables have been different each time.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#2 of 5 Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 AM

I had the same problem.  My midwife suggested taking some papaya enzymes (they are lozenges you let dissolve in your mouth), and they have really helped.  I got mine at my local pharmacy, but I know they sell them at Whole Foods.

#3 of 5 Old 02-19-2012, 10:56 AM

That happens to me and it is really icky. My midwife told me it was okay to take Prevacid, and that has helped. That might not be an acceptable solution for you, though. I'm on my third pregnancy with horrible heartburn and first one with reflux, and I tried all the more natural remedies first. NOT losing sleep over heartburn or waking up choking on my stomach contents has been priceless.

Oh, and I don't know if this would work for you, either, but just something to consider. I know you mentioned that it didn't seem to be affected by when you eat, but I've found that when I eat a REALLY early, smallish dinner, it helps dramatically. I try to get most of my calories and nutrients in much earlier in the day.

#4 of 5 Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 AM

Ugh, I've been having this lately, too.  Mostly it feels like little air bubbles in my esophagus, then my stomach aches.  I tried piling pillows behind me so I can sleep upright, but, like you, it's uncomfortable and I wake up throughout the night to readjust.

I'll have to try some papaya enzymes and see if that helps.  I've also stopped taking my prenatal vitamin before bed to see if that makes a difference.

#5 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM

I've tried a few things: papaya enzyme works most of the time if I take it right after I eat, chia seeds help if I swallow a small amount, dry with water. It'll soak up the acid. My last resort that always works is baking soda in water just before bed. I have a strange physiology and Prevacid ended up having the opposite affect on me. Plus, I didn't like the idea of having to take something all the time. Once he dropped, it got so much better. Now that he's due, it came back. Sorry. It's such a yucky side affect of pregnancy.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page