Take a Poll of Early Pregnancy Signs - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What three signs tell you that You Are Pregnant?
Breast Tenderness 108 100.00%
Changes in the Cervix 10 58.82%
Basal Temperature Changes 38 100.00%
Frequent Urination 47 100.00%
Constipation 22 100.00%
Bloating 33 100.00%
Vaginal Discharge 26 100.00%
Spotting 17 100.00%
Fatigue 101 100.00%
Nausea 61 100.00%
Morning Sickness 22 100.00%
Food Aversions 38 100.00%
Food Cravings 20 100.00%
Back Pain 14 82.35%
Headaches 15 88.24%
Dizziness 15 88.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first symptom was breast tenderness. I didn't think anything of it, because my boobs always hurt before I start my period.

I just so happened to have to get my wisdom teeth removed during the brief time of my not knowing. I told the doctors that I had not started my period yet so I didn't know for sure if I was pregnant. They went ahead and doped me up anyway and removed my teeth. So when I started to vomit after eating simple things like yogurt I blamed it on the Loritab the dentist had prescribed me. Then when I could only eat fruit randomly I went purchased a test (I wouldnt say I craved fruit, everything else just seemed to disgusting to eat.) Now when I think about it, I cringe at all the drugs I put into my new babys body due to my teeth removal! 

#32 of 49 Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Breast tenderness started before I missed a period. It was only different from normal premenstrual breast changes in one way: Random stabbing nipple pains! I'd just be walking along minding my own business when suddenly, ARG! That had never happened to me before in my life. 

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#33 of 49 Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM

There should be an intuition or emotional sense choice. I always had a "feeling" I was pregnant that was the biggest indication.

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#34 of 49 Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Each time I've been pregant my first sign was knowing I was pregant too, always within a day or so of conceiving. I then spent the next 2 weeks convincing myself I was wrong. lol. We spent 13 months ttc for our first and 5 months ttc for this one so I've had lots of non pregnant ttc cycles and the only ones I ever had that feeling were the 3 where  I actually was pregnant.

With my DD my first symptom was a weird metallic taste in my mouth. With my early miscarriage / chemical pregnancy I actually started feeling nauseous super early, and with this one I had round ligament pain at about 9 dpo and shortness of breath while doing cardio at about the same time, so for me the physical signs were different every time.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#35 of 49 Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 AM

It is hard for me to tell when I am pregnant. I have had two pregnancies and with each one I would have a full menstral cycle.By the next month I would have to completely miss that period and the test would come out positive. I think it is due to low hormone levels? Not sure, just grateful that I don't get that much morning sickness. I am just bumbed out because my due date is always off by 4 to 6 weeks. I try to explain this to the doctor and they always say we go by the last menstral period. I am thinking that I may say that I have "spotted" to see if anything will be different this time around. LOL It is just frustrating because they say Oh no, this baby is going to be huge and want to do extra ultrasounds when in fact I am ahead by 4 to 6 weeks.  

#36 of 49 Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 AM

Cramping and extreme hunger were my only signs for a couple of weeks but they aren't on the poll. smile.gif

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#37 of 49 Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 PM

#38 of 49 Old 02-25-2012, 07:44 PM

I became suspicious about a week before AF was due when I noticed my aerolae were darker and larger. Two weeks later a pee test confirmed it.

And being extremely sensitive emotionally, but maybe that was just caused by reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" around the same time..

#39 of 49 Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM

The big one for me is definitely the breast tenderness.  It comes early and it is very obvious.  I remember the last time, standing in the living room going "Oh ouch, why am I so sore up here?" and then *lightbulb moment*.  I bought a pregnancy test the next day - one of the early predictor ones - and discovered that I was 5 weeks pregnant (so technically three weeks?  That's how it works, right?)  I hadn't even missed a period yet.  I just knew.

Other signs that come quick and fast are 1) the exhaustion - I completely zonk out every day in the early afternoon; 2) the cramping - different than period pain, more along the lower sides; 3) emotions - sappy commercials suddenly make me cry.

I am currently nursing so the sore breast symptom won't happen, but I've been having the other three "obvious" signs for the past week or so, and am getting kind of nervous about it.  Maybe it's time to pick up a test?

#40 of 49 Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM

The first sign for me was that I began to get extremely tired all the time. I mean I was exhausted. Breast tenderness was the second sign. Then nausea. My family was roasting beef over an open grill which would usually smell delicious to me but all it made me want to do was barf. This was all before my missed period also. 

#41 of 49 Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM

I knew I was pregnant the second I ovulated, even before the egg had implanted because I kept getting bloody noses, which had never really happened to me before. I googled it and found it was an early sign of pregnancy. Somehow I just KNEW from that, because it was just not something that ever would happen normally. Then as soon as the egg implanted I really, really knew, I had every pregnancy symptom in the book. I was so sick to my stomach but SOOO hungry. I ate SO MUCH food. I had a 30 minute lunch break at work and I spent the entire 30 minutes eating as fast as I could to get as much food in me as I could before my lunch break was over. My body felt completely, 100% different.

#42 of 49 Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 PM

I hated toothpase too! I laughed when I read this because I actually wrote a letter to Tom's of Maine complaining to them about how they had changed their toothpaste flavors and the were all gross. I was so annoyed  with them! I would only brush with water and baking soda, that was a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C is for Cookie View Post

lol. maybe i was the only one but I couldn't stand my toothpaste. It was horrible. I literally puked every time I brushed my teeth. After awhile, I brushed with just an off-brand all natural toothpaste with an orange flavor. it was somewhat better but the aversion to toothpaste was a sign that something was up. DBF told me I was pregnant when I told him my toothpaste symptom. I tested a week later and lo and behold, a BFP! bigeyes.gif DBF told me that a friend of his couldn't take the taste of toothpaste either and she was tested positive a couple days later.... weird. I wonder why that is? headscratch.gif

#43 of 49 Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 PM

It was a few days before my missed period and my nipples started leaking clear fluid. This is my second pregnancy and I had been done breastfeeding for about 6 months, so I knew it wasn't related to that.  I took a pregnancy test right away, and boom, pregnant! I would have had no idea if it wasn't for my nipples.  My breasts didn't even seem tender.

#44 of 49 Old 03-04-2012, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wish cramping were on the list, as that was the only constant, reliable sign with all my pregnancies.

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/2RSWm4.png

#45 of 49 Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Other than mild fatigue I didn't have any of this until much later on (but I work outside so it didn't necessarily clue me in) and by then I already knew I was pregnant bc I took a test! BUT about a week before I did the test and missed my period, my husband walked by the bathroom and told me my pee stunk, and I noticed it too, it was really strong, nothing like I've ever smelled before, but wasn't dark like I was dehydrated.  Maintained the smell through my whole pregnancy, immediately went away after delivery!

#46 of 49 Old 03-05-2012, 04:05 PM

My "symptom" which was not on the list was an extremely noticable change in nipple color.  I got out of the shower one day, looked in the mirror, and was sure something had to be up to explain the drastic change that took place literally over night!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#47 of 49 Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM

Symptoms showed in this order - extra oily skin, increased hair growth, stuffy/dry nose, sore breasts, lots of burping...

Me & DH, DS 12/07superhero.gif, DD 10/12 luxlove.gif  and puppy love dog2.gif.
#48 of 49 Old 03-06-2012, 01:30 PM

I noticed being more sensitive to smells over the weekend (specifically, cigarette smoke - my husband would go outside or walk behind me but it suddenly smelled stronger, to the point I asked if it was a different brand).

The stranger symptom was a week or so ago, there was a spot on my hip where the skin was really sensitive - there was no rash or anything, and the bone joint underneath hurt if I put gentle pressure on it. Over the next few days, the skin feeling spread across my hips and waist. I couldn't wear certain underwear or pants because it felt like sandpaper on my skin! It passed, but I'm convinced that was a side effect because I've never felt anything like that before.

Between the odd skin thing, and not getting cramps, I just was more and more sure over the weekend that I was pregnant (period due sunday, but I had been under a lot of stress at work). Test last night confirmed it :P

#49 of 49 Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM

With most of my pregnancies, heartburn is a big side effect. I also have had a feeling of "I just know" with all except my third pregnancy (which I just refused to believe was real since we'd been trying so long without success).  A heightened sense of smell was always right up there in the first signs and symptoms, and then was followed quickly by breast tenderness.  In most of my pregnancies I have gotten waves of nausea and lots of food aversions.  In one pregnancy I had hyperemesis gravidarium, but that was just one. 

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page