Take a Poll of Early Pregnancy Signs - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What three signs tell you that You Are Pregnant?
Breast Tenderness 108 100.00%
Changes in the Cervix 10 58.82%
Basal Temperature Changes 38 100.00%
Frequent Urination 47 100.00%
Constipation 22 100.00%
Bloating 33 100.00%
Vaginal Discharge 26 100.00%
Spotting 17 100.00%
Fatigue 101 100.00%
Nausea 61 100.00%
Morning Sickness 22 100.00%
Food Aversions 38 100.00%
Food Cravings 20 100.00%
Back Pain 14 82.35%
Headaches 15 88.24%
Dizziness 15 88.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A lot of women come to the site who want to find out if they are pregnant. I thought it would be helpful to do a poll of early pregnancy signs. Please take the poll and let's see what the top early pregnancy signs are in our community. How do you know if you are pregnant?

#2 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

About 1 week post ovulation I had breast tenderness and my husband insisted my breasts were larger (I couldn't tell). I also had random, unexplained nausea (eg I turned off the radio in the car because a song made me want to throw up). I got a positive pregnancy test 10 days post ovulation, and spent the next 3 days sleeping about 16 hours a day. So those are my top 3, and all 3 showed up before my first missed period.

#3 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

My earliest signs (first week after my missed period) were mild cramping (different from menstrual cramps), bloating, and breast tenderness.  The next week, extreme fatigue kicked in.  I was sleeping around 14 hours a day.

Morning sickness didn't kick in until week 7 or so.  Food aversions were strong starting around week 6. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#4 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 03:17 AM

The biggest one for me isn't even on here - cramps. I had tons of cramps for the first few days of implantation. It was the ONLY sign I was pregnant, but it was a big one and I knew without a doubt I was pregnant because of them without ever taking a test.

lovestolearn and Just1More like this.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#5 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I found out last week that I am expecting my 5th child.  One of the things, not on the poll, which alerts me to pregnancy is thrush :(

I only ever get thrush in the early weeks of pregnancy. Plus hunger!  not cravings per se, but real hunger, especially in the evenings.

Sarah, slightly crunchy Mummy to 4, living the rural life
#6 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 AM

I couldn't answer because the only sign i get for sure is late AF and a positive test.  I've had 6 pregnancies and a million maybe's and my PMT signs are so variable and so similar it's really the ONLY way to tell - pee on a stick when AF is AWOL.

#7 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 AM

I actually get more than the three I chose, but listed the top three. I also have a general "knowing that I am pregnant even before signs show up. I can't explain it, but I just know I am pregnant very soon after conception. My symptoms show up about a week to four days before i miss my period.

youngspiritmom likes this.
#8 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 AM

I had morning sickness a week before my period was due.  I also ended up with hyperemesis gravidarum during the entire pregnancy, so that might not be normal.

#9 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonheart View Post

I actually get more than the three I chose, but listed the top three. I also have a general "knowing that I am pregnant even before signs show up. I can't explain it, but I just know I am pregnant very soon after conception. My symptoms show up about a week to four days before i miss my period.

This was exactly how it was in my first pregnancy.  I just knew I was pregnant right away. 

#10 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 AM

The three signs I was pregnant aren't on the list. They were: heartburn (almost daily, which is unusual for me), breast changes (not tenderness so much at first, more like visible swelling that would come and go), and extreme hunger (my appetite was insatiable! This went away as the first trimester got underway).

#11 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

First pregnancy, so I have to agree with the I-peed-on-a-stick-and-then-I-knew comment! In retrospect, I had a LOT of cramping starting around 8 DPO, but I thought for sure it meant AF was coming. My BBT also went high and stayed high, but I have had some false alarms with that before. I chose morning sickness, too, but that didn't hit until 4 weeks 6 days. But then it hit with a VENGEANCE. I didn't think you were supposed to get sick until at least 6 weeks, but definitely not the case for me. I'm 15 weeks today and still dealing with the last vestiges of morning sickness.

But like a lot of ladies have said before on a lot of other threads... there is not a single symptom (besides a +HPT) that guarantees you're pregnant, and you can totally be pregnant without having a single symptom. I've had about every pregnancy symptom in the book so far, but NOT breast tenderness... currently the most popular option on this poll. Other than a couple of minutes here or there, absolutely none. (And believe me, I would trade a LOT of my symptoms for some breast tenderness!) So this poll can give people some fun symptoms to obsess over (or to worry about lacking), but you're still not going to know for sure until you can test.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#12 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 AM

With my 1st pregnancy it was like AF was coming.  I had cramps and breast tenderness.  So I didn't really think anything of it...until I was about a week past due.  Then with my 2nd pregnancy I didn't have any breast tenderness or cramps, only nausea.  So again, I really didn't think anything of it.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#13 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 AM

My only reliable symptom of pregnancy is also not listed - extreme thirst.  For both my pregnancies, that was the only thing that differed from the months I got AF.  The first pregnancy, I knew I was pregnant around 7 DPO b/c I could not drink enough water.  I was always thirsty.  This time, I was not convinced I was pregnant since I didn't have any symptoms out of the ordinary.  but, a few days after my positive test, the thirst struck with a vengeance. 

S (35yo) wife to T (36yo) and mamma to my princess M (5/10/10).  After 3 losses in 2012, found an AMAZING doctor and gave birth to baby sister S on 11/12/13.
#14 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 07:17 AM

A symptom I get that is not listed and is prob my earliest is a strange metallic taste in my mouth. I have gotten that with all my pregnancies and never get it any other time. Also I sneeze a lot and usually double or triple sneezes.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#15 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 AM

I was out of breath with my first. I was pretty sure that I was pregnant right after conception because I get a crampy feeling when I ovulate and between that day and when I could first do a test I found that I would get out of breath really easy. Just going up the stairs or changing the sheets on the bed seemed like quite the chore as far as my breathing was concerned. I looked it up and discovered that it's not uncommon for women to feel this way due to hormone changes in early pregnancy. Aside from being pretty sure I was pregnant because of knowing that I ovulated the morning after having sex, this was my first actual sign that something was going on.

#16 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 AM

Before and during missing my period, there was a good two weeks that I was sick (not morning sickness, I had been kissing a sickie), which is unusual for me, because usually the longest I'm sick is a couple days. And my immune system being that shot just wasn't normal. =X

And I'm sorry I can't give more advice than that, this is my first time being pregnant!! ^^;

#17 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 AM

I knew I was pregnant with my DD when I could not stand the smell of things. My sense of scent was so heightened I couldn't even go into the grocery store!! Around 8 weeks the nausea hit and I was also diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum  :(

#18 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 08:45 AM

About 8ish days after conception I had 4 days where my stomach didn't work...at all.  I was concerned I was going to explode.  I was Christmas time. When my stomach started working again it did not explode as I was expecting, it proceeded as if nothing had ever happened.  It was another week and a half before I even suspected I was pregnant & had a missed period.  

8.31.11. - 9.1.11  Mira Joy

My only child after 5 years of trying.    

#19 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I didn't have breast tenderness, but I did notice that the veins in my breasts were more prominent. That's what convinced me to take a test, 

None of these symptoms except implantation bleeding really kicked in until about a week after my period was due.

My personal weird pregnancy symptom is diarrhea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrisson View Post

I was out of breath with my first.

This was true of me with my second. I was doing aikido at the time, and just didn't have the stamina that I'd had before.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#20 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post

The biggest one for me isn't even on here - cramps. I had tons of cramps for the first few days of implantation. It was the ONLY sign I was pregnant, but it was a big one and I knew without a doubt I was pregnant because of them without ever taking a test.

Good point, thanks. I can't change the poll now, but your post will help others.

#21 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 AM

Omg, now I'm convinced I'm pregnant! This is my second time within a week that I have terrible nausea and heartburn. But it's been with diarrhea, so I have figured it's the flu. Now some of you said that diarrhea was a symptom for you.. I remember having breast tenderness with my first two, but could also be that since I still breastfeed my big baby... It's not affecting me the same way... I never pay attention to when my periods are supposed to arrive, but it's been a while I had ovulation cramps... Those too happened twice...

#22 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 AM

With all 3 pregnancies (twins, miscarriage at 5 weeks, singleton), I had significant breast tenderness at about 1 week post-ovulation.  My first pregnancy, I was certain I was pregant even though I hadn't missed a period; with the other two, I recognized the signs immediately.  With my 3rd pregnancy, my recently weaned 6-year old son noticed that my aerolas were darker and larger even before I noticed the breast tenderness.  And I was nauseous/vomiting and enhanced smell within a few days of the breast tenderness (hyperemesis w/ both term pregnancies).  The pregnancy test was always just a confirmation.

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#23 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 PM

I was sooo hungry as well. till I hit about 3 1/2 months. now all good there. but almost 6 months I hear it may return. and so tired all wanted to do was sleep. plus a marked over half the list. and here I thought I was per- menapase. yah i get the baby I always wanted!!!!!!

DHcaffix.gif meteapot2.GIFDDfemalesling.GIFabout us 3 cats and 4 dogs goorganic.jpgfamilybed1.gifcd.gifsewmachine.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gifsaynovax.gifinthet.gifuc.jpg

#24 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Crazy to say the two most obvious early signs for me are eating like crazy and lots of stinky gas.  Of course the chart and the rise in temps is a give away, but even before I miss my period both times I've been pregnant, I've ate up a storm and wondered if I needed to go on a diet, and then the gas.  Afterwards tiredness and ill-likeness set in fast too.

#25 of 49 Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM

lol. maybe i was the only one but I couldn't stand my toothpaste. It was horrible. I literally puked every time I brushed my teeth. After awhile, I brushed with just an off-brand all natural toothpaste with an orange flavor. it was somewhat better but the aversion to toothpaste was a sign that something was up. DBF told me I was pregnant when I told him my toothpaste symptom. I tested a week later and lo and behold, a BFP! bigeyes.gif DBF told me that a friend of his couldn't take the taste of toothpaste either and she was tested positive a couple days later.... weird. I wonder why that is? headscratch.gif

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#26 of 49 Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My very first symptoms were feeling implantation (I'm pretty darn sure of this -- TWANG!), sensitivity to overheating, veiny bbs, and a change in bowel movements. None of these were clear signs until hindsight, though. The first CLEAR sign (except for the positive blood test at 14dpo) was solid nausea starting at 6w1d.

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#27 of 49 Old 02-22-2012, 02:14 PM

I just got a BFP today, and my symptoms were the "I need to eat NOW or I am going to go crazy" feeling (this was my first symptom with my other two, also), exhaustion, and major bloating. I have a bit of nausea, but nothing too extreme.

Married 6.10.06   Mommied 4.17.08 and 4.12.10

#28 of 49 Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM

The poll should include yeast infection!

no idea it was a sign of early pregnancy, found out at 3 weeks and 5 days

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#29 of 49 Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 AM

My biggest clue isn't on here either: emotions. A week before I tested, I was EXTREMELY irritable and prone to crying for no apparent reason and this was much stronger than it is when I get a little boo-hoo-ey around my period.

Another big clue for me that's not on here is smell sensitivity. It wasn't an aversion necessarily, but smells were suddenly intense. This was all before the day of my period. The fatigue, constipation and nausea all came in the week after I tested to find out I was pregnant.

I'm 31: knit.gifHe's 36: geek.gif

Married since 10/10/09, together since 2004

Our first child is due in October 2012.

***4***babyf.gif***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40*

#30 of 49 Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 PM

My first symptom was breast tenderness. I didn't think anything of it, because my boobs always hurt before I start my period.

I just so happened to have to get my wisdom teeth removed during the brief time of my not knowing. I told the doctors that I had not started my period yet so I didn't know for sure if I was pregnant. They went ahead and doped me up anyway and removed my teeth. So when I started to vomit after eating simple things like yogurt I blamed it on the Loritab the dentist had prescribed me. Then when I could only eat fruit randomly I went purchased a test (I wouldnt say I craved fruit, everything else just seemed to disgusting to eat.) Now when I think about it, I cringe at all the drugs I put into my new babys body due to my teeth removal! 

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page