Supplementing Vitamin D2- help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The midwifery group I see checks vitamin D.  They checked mine, mine was 19.  Normal range is 30-100.  I don't get it.. I take Rainbow light prenatals, eat all of those fortified cereals (one of the few things that doesn't upset my stomach!) and spend time each day outdoors.  Granted, it's winter, but still...

Anyways they prescribed me 50000 IU of Vitamin D2 weekly (1x week) for 8 weeks.  

That seems strange... wouldn't it be better to take smaller doses daily?  Really?

Help?  Ideas?  Thoughts?  Brands of different Vit D to try that I can find in a HFS?

ETA: I'm also nursing DD2.. is it safe to take that much D at once and nurse?!  I still have some milk left..

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Yes, it is safe and it's even good for the baby :)  I think the amount of vitamin D in most multivitamins is very low.  My holistic doctor likes to see vitamin D levels closer to 80!  Mine was 41 and she put me on 5000 UI a day as well.  Just make sure your supplement is vitamin D3 and not D2 (D2 is man made and from what I read from Dar. Marcola it's not good for you or digestible).  I take the 4000 UI of Trader Joes vitamin D3 plus I get another 2000 from my cod liver oil.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I was just reading about D2 vs D3 and I'm for sure going to not take the RX they called in (it's D2).. I'll get something else.  Trying to figure out what brand and how much daily.  

I wish i could stomach (and afford!) fermented CLO right now!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Sorry I just re-read your post and notice you mentioned 50000 (I read 5000 at first) so I don't know how applicable my response is.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamb View Post

Sorry I just re-read your post and notice you mentioned 50000 (I read 5000 at first) so I don't know how applicable my response is.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I had originally accidentally written 5k- you're not seeing things ;)  I'm famous for my typos :P

Old 02-23-2012, 01:51 PM

in the case of insufficiency or deficiency, it's not uncommon at all to get large weekly doses of (usually) injectible D2. I wasn't pregnant when I treated my deficiency, but I opted to take D3 on a daily basis. I took 4000-8000 iu daily with no ill effect. I currently take 2000-4000 iu daily, which newer research suggests is beneficial in pregnancy.

the amount of vitamin D that would be in a normal prenatal is definitely not adequate for most people. it might be ok to maintain your levels if they're high to begin with, but it won't correct a deficiency. a lot of people don't get enough vitamin D, you're not alone!

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Interestingly, above 35 degrees north latitude (Chicago's at 41N), the sun simply isn't strong enough in winter to provide any vitamin D through the skin. You could lay out in the sun in a bikini all day and you still couldn't synthesize enough.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 PM

My level was 14 and I'm taking 4k IU per day of D3.  Bought the vitamins from Whole Foods.  I am going to be tested again in a few months.  

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You might want to double-check this, but if I remember right, the amount of D3 a nursing mom should take in order to pass along enough to her baby (about 200 IU is what baby should be getting) through her milk is 4000 iu a day.  It's super important for babies and toddlers for preventing a lot of life-long problems.  When DD stopped exclusively breastfeeding I went down to 2000 iu for myself and give her a 200 iu children's chewable every day.  She LOVES them.  She doesn't get candy often, so that is her big treat for the day.  She'll play with it for 5-10 minutes just to make it last longer :)  I'm not giving her any other supplements right now, but will look into it when she stops nursing altogether.   

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

My husband is a Registered Dietician who also had a vitamin D deficiency due to his serious milk allergy and he says that you should take the D2 prescribed by your midwives because it replenishes stores more quickly than the D3.  There's a reason they prescribe that particular kind for deficiencies.  Once you aren't deficient you can switch to the D3 for maintenance.  And as far as breastfeeding goes, you're fine to take even high amounts like that since the tolerable upper limit for Vit D is really high. 

(For liability purposes, this is not medical advice... talk to your midwives before going off prescribed medications, etc.)

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.

Tags
Pregnancy
User Tag List