Breastfeeding while pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I keep hearing differing views of the effects of breastfeeding while pregnant.  I must admit I am a bit nervous nursing my 11 month old since I found out I am pregnant.  Are there any mama's on here that can share their experience on nursing while pregnant?  My main concerns are nipple pain (I have none yet,) nursing with a big belly, and the threat of miscarriage or early labor. TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 07:06 PM

Well, I just ended a three year stint of continuous breastfeeding and experienced no problems. In fact, I was encouraged to do it. I also bought the only two books on the market that have information on tandem breastfeeding and they were a little helpful. I did make sure that when I awoke in the morning that my newborn got the first feeding because my toddler could clean me out. I only fed them together when I started working again full-time and was pressed for time. I didn't have any problems even though there are some who say it can cause you to go into labor, but I did not have problems and my midwife said it was completely healthy and safe. Also, I had more energy in that pregnancy than my two previous. Blessings on your endeavor!

Mother of 3: 1 C-section 6/06; 2 HBAC's 12/08 & 10/10 h20homebirth.gifjumpers.gifhomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif
Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM

Forgot to add that the nipple pain was bad. I had problems with my second and began to wean her because I was working, but not so much between two and three. As the pregnancy progresses it wore off. First trimester may mist challenging with that.

Mother of 3: 1 C-section 6/06; 2 HBAC's 12/08 & 10/10 h20homebirth.gifjumpers.gifhomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif
Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 PM

I mistyped - meant to say nipple pain was NOT too bad. Sorry!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 PM

When pg with my second, I nursed my first through the first few months of pregnancy and didn't notice any nipple pain.  I've known several women who've nursed while pregnant and/or tandem nursed and none have had problems unless baby #1 was quite young and milk supply became an issue at some point.  

Read "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" for lots of great information.  I think it's also helpful for weighing the pros and cons of nursing while pregnant/tandem nursing.  I'd suggest continuing to nurse your DD for now if it's working for you, and consider making a change if/when it stops working for you.

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM

I never experienced any nipple pain while nursing during this pregnancy, and it didn't give me contractions or anything like that either, but my milk completely dried up by 17 weeks, and I was starting to get some SERIOUS creepy-crawly, gross feelings while nursing. Now dd might latch on for 5 seconds every now and then (like once a day) but then she pops right off. Thank goodness, because dry nursing through pregnancy feels really, really gross for me. Yuck. I wish I still had milk, and I hope she nurses again after the baby is born, but since I don't have milk, I'm glad she doesn't want to dry nurse right now.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM

I nursed for the first 4 months-from age 6 months to weaning at 10 months.

It is doable, but I had a host of issues. First, I had an incredible wave of nausea during every single let down for the first trimester. I had the "creepy-crawlies" at first, but that subsided. My milk supply dropped to half and then a quarter while baby didn't want a bottle. He plateaued in weight gain for 2 months, until I completely weaned him. I did all this pregnant with twins, which LLL does NOT recommend, but most other sources were fine with it. It definitly contributed to my overall exhaustion, but I was feeding a very little one.

For an older baby, it probably would be much easier. But I survived and don't regret it!

Mom of DS born 4/1/11. Wife and Middle-school teacher. Expecting Di/Di boy twins in June, 2012.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 PM

I'm currently breastfeeding twins while pregnant in the first trimester.  I have had nipple pain that lasts for about the first minute or two after they latch on...enough to make me wince, but not enough to force me to wean.  I have seen my supply drop...less in the bottles when I pump at work.  The girls are 22 months, so no big worry there. 

Everything I've read says miscarriage and early labor are not a concern.  My midwife just told me it was wonderful that I was still nursing my girls.  Somewhere I read that it can be helpful with nausea/morning sickness, but I haven't yet been able to tell if its helpful!  I'm still nauseated...no vomitting like I did with the girls.  But maybe its just not that bad because there is only one this time! 

Good luck to you!

Married 2002.  Di-di twin girls 2010.  Mono-di twin girls 2012.

Tags
Pregnancy
User Tag List