Will this course of abx hurt my chance of negative GBS test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 34+5 with my fourth and planning my fourth natural hospital birth. First two I did nothing before GBS test and was positive. My third I did probiotics through pregnancy, upped the dose two weeks before test, added garlic, etc, and was negative. I would decline it all but the hospital pushes a 48 hr stay for baby then, pushes more blood draws for baby, etc, and honestly, they are so good at accommodating everything else, I don't fight the GBS test.

So....I'm sick. Really sick. We are pretty judicious in our abx use, but have been lucky that myself or my kids have never had thrush or yeast issue with them. Two of my three kids are on abx right now for double ear infections, sinus infections, and chest infections. Over the last two days it has hit me too. And this weekend we are moving and it is the only time we have child care to help.mim frantic and the drmgave me abx. Which I'm fine taking.

But, I have my GBS test in ten days. I'm taking high doses of probiotics and stuff, but how bad will the abx set me back? I really want to be negative as I'm allergic to penicillin and the meds they give me if GBS positive need 8 hrs apart. I don't want to be at hospital that long.

Anyone have wisdom here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 PM

Well, depending on which abx they give you, it may actually kill off the GBS in time for your test, which would be a nice perq! I believe ampicillin is what they usually give for GBS, but if you're allergic to penicillin they'd try one of the others. You should ask about (or do some research on) its likely effect on the GBS. And keep loading yourself up with probiotics (and vitamin C!).

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#3 of 4 Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 AM

My doctor wants me to repeat my GBS test because I had been on antibiotics the week before mine. Yours may want to do that, or have you wait to take the test. I'd ask them.
#4 of 4 Old 03-28-2012, 03:48 AM

It may be the course of abx you're on will make it less likely that they'll be able to grow the GBS from vaginal and rectal swabs, even if you're carrying it.  Talk to your health professionals.

FYI, even with doses of abx are given eight-hourly, it's still best to have had them at least 4 hours before delivery - it doesn't change to 8 hourly just because that's the dosage regimen.

Tags
Pregnancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page