Seasonal allergies - positive stories and inspiration please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-24-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Pretty much all my life I never suffered from seasonal allergies. My daughter is almost 3 years old. Last March I was in Dallas and suffered from itchy eyes for the 2 weeks I was there and very perplexed.. but once I got back to Seattle I was fine.

Two days back I took a stroll in a park and came down with the full caboodle.. sneezes, itchy eyes, stuffed nose, puffy face etc. No question about it - seasonal allergies. For the first time in my life...and I am pregnant.

I am in the throes of a mini-depression.

Please... share some positive stories...like

1) Ladies miraculously getting rid of seasonal allergies they acquired during pregnancy

2) Some magic cures - allopathy, homeopathy, NAET, energy-healing, voodoo :-)

3)Some survival techniques during pregnancy..especially what to use for itchy eyes?

Anything to uplift me- please mamas ...  :-(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-24-2012, 09:50 PM

I will be watching to see if others have some great suggestions. I wake up with an itchy throat and congestion around 3am every night and can't go back to sleep after that! It blows. 

Don't worry - it will go away after you give birth. I do recall from my last pregnancy (my daughter is also 3) that I had a very stuffy, runny nose and that is not uncommon in preg. Your body is more sensitive to keeping out things that bother it. 

I have read that there are a couple OTC meds you can take during preg. I don't wish to take them. I'm pondering getting an air purifier for my room since I have my worst symtoms at night. Also I think maybe a neti pot may help? Oh and I almost forgot - I have been getting acupuncture weekly (started before pregnancy for infertility) and they have been adding points for allergies. I do notice that my symptoms are MUCH better after - but it usually only lasts for about 3 days after. I go to a community acupcunture clinic so it is much cheaper than private practice ($20/visit and $15 for 2nd visit in same week). 

As for itchy eyes. They sell eye drops that have antihistamines in them - they work like a charm. I've used them a few times in the past with no side effects. I just can't recall if they are ok for preg or not. I'd find them at the pharmacy (they are OTC) and ask the pharmacist.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#3 of 3 Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 PM

Honestly, my magic secret is 10mg Zyrtec once/day.  The trees here are somethin' else lol.gif  I'm okay with taking it in the second trimester during those really tough pollen-filled weeks wink1.gif

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)

Tags
Pregnancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page