My 7 yo just diagnosed with pertussis; I'm due in 3 weeks - advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have not vaxed for anything in my house and I have a 7 yo and a 5 yo and am due in 3 weeks with baby #4 (also have a 21 yo who doesn't live at home). My 7 yo has had a runny nose for more than a month now and a cough for the last couple of weeks that didn't seem to get better so we took her into our ped on Monday to see what he thought. He did the nasal swab test for pertussis which just came back positive. He also started her on the antibiotic on Monday just in case and she has 3 days left to take it (including today). They have told us the whole family needs to be treated so he called in a prescription for her sister who is asymptomatic by the way so far at least. I called my midwife today who said I could have the DTaP if I wanted it. When I replied that I've already had it when I was younger and didn't think I should get it again, she agreed with me. We came up with a plan to have my blood tested on Monday when I go see her to see if I'm immune to pertussis. If not immune, she said she would research what to do. I'm thinking maybe I should go ahead and take the antibiotic as well? My husband will most likely be taking it too. Definitely want this to be handled before baby arrives in mid-April and I understand the antibiotic does nothing to treat the pertussis, but to prevent the spread to others. Advice? Do you think I should see if I'm immune or just go ahead and do the abx? Thanks!

#2 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM

Me personally, I would not take the antibiotics just yet. Test to see if you are immune. You can eat raw garlic as a natural antibiotic. Look into Vitamin c for treating pertusis.

#3 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM

Check out this thread: 

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1345625/dilema-newborn-older-siblings-whooping-cough

I found this link helpful: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6041a4.htm

Quote:
For infants, transplacentally transferred maternal antibodies might provide protection against pertussis in early life and before beginning the primary DTaP series. Several studies provide evidence supporting the existence of efficient transplacental transfer of pertussis antibodies (7,11,12). Cord blood from newborn infants whose mothers received Tdap during pregnancy or before pregnancy had higher concentrations of pertussis antibodies when compared with cord blood from newborn infants of unvaccinated mothers (7,11). The half-life of transferred maternal pertussis antibodies is approximately 6 weeks (12).The effectiveness of maternal antipertussis antibodies in preventing infant pertussis is not yet known, but pertussis-specific antibodies likely confer protection and modify the severity of pertussis illness (13,14). In addition, a woman vaccinated with Tdap during pregnancy likely will be protected at time of delivery, and therefore less likely to transmit pertussis to her infant. After receipt of Tdap, boosted pertussis-specific antibody levels peak after several weeks, followed by a decline over several months (15,16). To optimize the concentration of maternal antibodies transferred to the fetus, ACIP concluded that unvaccinated pregnant women should receive Tdap, preferably in the third or late second (after 20 weeks gestation) trimester.

If your vax hasn't worn off, you would be already transmitting antibodies... if it has worn off, you might want to get tdap, if you decide to, as soon as possible to maximize that since there are only a few weeks left...

ETA - there are lots of threads about treating with Sodium Ascorbate over on the vax boards if you aren't already doing that...

#4 of 9 Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 PM

I would personally take--I did--the vaccine---I am older and remember whooping cough as a child and as a nurse---when I heard a child in the ER with it 5 years ago---I instantly knew what it was---nobody else did--they were all under 40!   Sure makes you miserable and can be serious in a newborn.

#5 of 9 Old 04-04-2012, 06:52 PM

I'm a public health nurse and work with pertussis outbreaks often.  Having a confirmed case of pertussis in your home and being due so soon is beyond scarey!  I don't want to freak you out, but pertussis is very serious (like deadly serious) for newborns!  It's not a big deal for older kids and adults, but really dangerous for newborns/infants and we see babies hospitalized or worse for it often if exposed.  Please, have every close contact (everyone in your home at least) prophalactly treated.  You want all active infection cleared or prevented before the baby comes.  Please feel free to IM me with any other questions you have-- I really deal with this pretty often.

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

#6 of 9 Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Personally, I wouldn't think twice.  If there was ever a time to vax, it'd be now.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#7 of 9 Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 PM

I would have everyone in the house start abx NOW. The vax is not going to help you at this point. You were exposed weeks ago. Either you're going to get it or you aren't. It's too late to vax for that now. If you're going to prophylactically vax for something, it has to be within a couple days of exposure, not weeks. I know you didn't ask about vaxing, but thought I'd mention that, since a couple people suggested you do it. It takes a week or so to be non-contagious after you start abx (I don't remember how long exactly) so I really wouldn't wait if I were you. I'd have everyone start NOW. And I've had pertussis in a 5.5 month old, so it's not that pertussis in babies terrifies me. However, pertussis in a newborn is NOT something I'd risk. 5 months old is a lot older than newborn, even though it doesn't seem so to us.

#8 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post

I would have everyone in the house start abx NOW. The vax is not going to help you at this point. You were exposed weeks ago. Either you're going to get it or you aren't. It's too late to vax for that now. If you're going to prophylactically vax for something, it has to be within a couple days of exposure, not weeks. I know you didn't ask about vaxing, but thought I'd mention that, since a couple people suggested you do it. It takes a week or so to be non-contagious after you start abx (I don't remember how long exactly) so I really wouldn't wait if I were you. I'd have everyone start NOW. And I've had pertussis in a 5.5 month old, so it's not that pertussis in babies terrifies me. However, pertussis in a newborn is NOT something I'd risk. 5 months old is a lot older than newborn, even though it doesn't seem so to us.

Yes, all this.

My ignorance about vax vs. abx in this situation is evident.  Thanks, Plummeting.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#9 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGucks View Post

Yes, all this.

My ignorance about vax vs. abx in this situation is evident.  Thanks, Plummeting.

I wouldn't say that. The doc recommended the vaccine also, lol. And I tend to like the things you post, obdoc, so I'm not trying to call you out. I was really just pointing out that it's too late for the vaccine to prevent infection in the mother, and if she's got pertussis when the baby is born, what is the likelihood that having been recently vaccinated will offer any benefit over just developing antibodies from the actual infection? If she's infected, she's already going to be producing antibodies. If she's not infected, then she already HAS antibodies, and that's why she's not sick. If she wants to be vaccinated, then that's cool and fine, but that's not going to help her at this point. Honestly, if her dd has already had it for a few weeks, it seems unlikely to me that she is going to get it - I would think she'd already have some symptoms by now, so my guess is that she's immune. Still, I'd take the antibiotics in this case, because it doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

Each of my kids has only had abx once in their lives - the 7yo had them at age 2 for impetigo that was spreading after a week of more conservative management (we tried everything else first) and the 2yo had it for a double ear infection at 9 months old - after I'd already given her a couple days to recover on her own, and was totally uncomfortable waiting longer than that in a baby, given the higher risk of mastoiditis. So I'm totally not an abx pusher, but they really seem warranted in this case.

Bokonon likes this.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page