Would you fly at 36 weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI everyone-

So I'll be asking my midwife at the next visit, but just curious what all your opinions are.  I'd like to go see my best friend in NYC before number 2 arrives, and the only long weekend she has available is when I'm 36 weeks (I'm 31 weeks now)  It would only be a 45 minute flight one direction and I would be coming back the same way just three days later.  It's either that or a 5-6 hr car drive.

My first daughter was 10 days late and I had no complications with her or with this one so far.  What do you think?

#2 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 PM

no.  I understand- but that is not a great time to be traveling so far.  I know the flight time is short- but you will be stuck in the seat for longer than that- potentially much longer than that if there are delays or whatnot.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 08:32 PM

No, but that's probably just because I had my baby three weeks early last month. I'm paranoid. :)

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#4 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Nope, I'm too paranoid to travel more than an hour or two after 34 weeks.  

obstruct livery vehicles

#5 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 PM

I'd consider it for a flight that short, if you are feeling good and your midwife OKs it,  but most airlines around here won't let you fly afterbe 36 weeks anyways so I don't think it would be an option. Is there any chance that your friend could come visit you instead?

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#6 of 15 Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I flew at 32 weeks.  Overseas, so like 10 hours.  I looked at airlines policies back then and most of them didn't have specific restrictions, but most of them recommended no flying the last month.  I brought a note from my midwife just in case, but no one hassled me.  I think I'd consider it, since it's such a short flight.  The chances of labor happening fast enough to take place on the plane are pretty slim.  It would not be fun for early labor to happen while you're away, but there are plenty of hospitals in NYC should it happen. 

As far as comfort goes, I was lucky in that I remained pretty comfortable even through late pregnancy.  You know better how your body feels.  I had tons of little pillows for the flight to prop up anything I wanted.  I did swell for the first time ever on the plane, but my shoes still fit at the end of it, so it wasn't terrible!

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#7 of 15 Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I doubt I wood even though I've flown late in my last pregnancy. However, flying in late pregnancy results in a lot of swelling that I retained for the rest of the pregnancy. I wouldn't assume you'll go late either.

But I don't think is unsafe. I just think it is uncomfortable. But more to the point, why isn't the friend making the trip to see you? Who says great, let my 36w friend get on the plane instead of me!

#8 of 15 Old 04-02-2012, 11:23 AM

I routinely travel for work and flew cross country right up until 36 weeks.  I would do a 45 minute flight over a 5-6 hour car ride in a heartbeat.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#9 of 15 Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Yes I would. Yes, I have.
I have flown at 38+ weeks for a much longer flight.

Have fun.

#10 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM

I would! I did a Dallas to NYC flight at 36 weeks with my second and was just fine. My midwife cleared me and I didn't have any issues. It was for a wedding so we didn't have a choice about the date. My first was also 10 days late and I had a very long labor so I wasn't worried. The baby was born a month later only 2 days late but after another long labor. :) If your HCP signs off on it and you don't feel any misgivings I'd say go for it!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#11 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Nope.  I actually was planning on a short flight when I was 35 to 36 weeks with DS and my midwife recommended against it.  She said in her experience that sometimes the changes in pressure can do weird things like cause your water to break, or the baby to flip breech.  I am glad I didn't go because DS was born at 37 weeks exactly even though DD was 2 weeks late.

Newly SAHM to DD - 11/30/06 and DS - 1/3/10 * 10 week loss 10/13/11 * Cautiously expecting a September Surprise

#12 of 15 Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 AM

I probably wouldn't fly quite that late personally, though I would think about it for that short of a flight. And yes, I would worry about being hassled by the airline, so if you do decide to go check their policies and make sure you have a note from your doctor/midwife that says when you are due and they are ok with your traveling.

Can your friend come to visit you instead?

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#13 of 15 Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I don't know, but probably not. Just because your first baby was late doesn't mean this one will be. For me, the flight is not the issue so much as the possibility of going into labor away from home and having your baby away from home. I'm facing the same issue, sort of - my brother is getting married when I'm 38+ weeks, somewhere that's about a 45 minute flight or a 4 hour drive from here. I'm probably not going unless my midwife is 100% convinced I will not go into labor while there, and I feel totally comfortable. I I would drive up the night before, and most likely drive home right after the wedding (it's at 11 AM). After putting forth this kind of effort to have a midwife and birth center birth, I don't want to be stuck in an unfamiliar hospital with unfamiliar care providers, trying to fight policies I haven't even had a chance to learn about. Plus, we can't afford to pay the midwife (who we would still owe the full amount to, even if we don't make it to the birth center) and the hospital. Just something to consider.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28**32***36***40** Oct 2014 it's a
#14 of 15 Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

But more to the point, why isn't the friend making the trip to see you? Who says great, let my 36w friend get on the plane instead of me!

I can't speak for the OP, but I'm guessing since she mentioned that the friend lives in NYC that location has something to do with wanting to go see her there rather than the other way around. Otherwise, I don't think she would have mentioned where.  

To the question at hand, it's a tough call. 36 weeks would sort of be pushing it for me but not out of the realm of possibility especially for somewhere that's pretty close.  I think I'd have a talk with my midwife.  

#15 of 15 Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input, after thinking long and hard about it, I decided against it.  It's not the flight that bothers me, it's the possibility of having to have my baby in a strange hospital in a strange city without DH or my midwife.  My friend will come to me.. thanks!

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page