Kombucha and spotting-- does that make any sense? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I'm a lover of GT's Kombucha-- I only drink storebought kombucha.  I drank 2-3 bottles a week for a while...  then didn't drink it lots while TTC or in early PG...  Maybe a bottle a week, on average.  But then I had at least 1-2 bottles last week and 1 yesterday afternoon (I'm 8 weeks today).  I had a noticeable bit of brown spotting in the evening yesterday (went away quickly), and I had a couple of short, similar incidents last week, though I can't, for the life of me, remember if they coincided with kombucha-drinking days.  My MW thinks the spotting is cervical irritation or some-such (though it hasn't coincided with sex or direct cervical contact), not uterine blood, so she's not particularly worried. 

The spotting may have nothing at all to do with kombucha, but the connection just occurred to me as I started to open another bottle.  I'm not worried about the extremely minimal alcohol content or "detox" effects, but I just read that it has anticoagulant effects.  If true, could that be a cause of my (likely inconsequential, but anxiety-provoking) spotting?  Has anyone had this experience, or is anyone a kombucha expert, etc., and have any thoughts about a possible connection (or reason to believe there is no connection)?

Just noodling... Thanks!

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#2 of 6 Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I don't see what possible connection there could be.  I drink kombucha relatively often and have never had any spotting.  I did, however, have a subchorionic bleed that was pointed out to me at my ultrasound and the tech told me that I might get some brown bleeding.  It never happened (they can simply be reabsorbed), so that's probably what happened to you.  Spotting is relatively common in pregnancy and while it's tempting to make connections to things you are doing, eating, and drinking, there's probably no connection at all.  Don't worry about it and enjoy the probiotics!

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 6 Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not overly worried about it, Lily, and am sure it's likely to have been a coincidence, but I did find info that says Kombucha can act as an anticoagulant, which might increase (non-harmful) bleeding...?  Just a thought.

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#4 of 6 Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

buko, my understanding is that the anticoagulant effect is so small, particularly in the amounts you're taking it, that it wouldn't have any effect.  I'm not an herbalist though. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#5 of 6 Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, okay-- that's the kind of info I was looking for-- thanks!

#6 of 6 Old 04-08-2012, 02:00 PM

I personally avoid kombucha when pregnant and nursing (not because of the alcohol) because kombucha can mobilize toxins (i.e. heavy metals, etc).  Check out the Traditional Foods forum for lots of detailed information on kombucha in general.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page