Filipina members? I need help with a name! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my husband (Pinoy) and I are starting to get very attached to a name that is also the name of a gulf and a city in the province his father is from.  I haven't been able to Google any evidence that it's ever been used as a person's name, but I wouldn't be surprised.  I know it will be VERY different, but as long as it has more of a "Brooklyn" vibe than naming a kid "East St. Louis," we're good.  DH likes it, but since he grew up outside the Philippines (in Asia and the US), he doesn't feel confident about it, KWIM?  As long as it wouldn't possibly have a really strong bad association (like naming a kid Bataan), I think we might go for it.  

We just can't ask family because we aren't trying to tell anyone the name until buko bean is born, but can you weigh in?  I'm so paranoid, I'm spacing it out so it can't be easily Googled, LOL...

L I N G x A Y E N 

(Without the spaces and the x.)

Nickname would be Lina or Lino.

Thoughts?  And if this would be better posted in a different forum, let me know...

Thanks so much!

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

#2 of 3 Old 04-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Sorry, i'm not filipina, but my DH is Pinoy. :)

I'm not knowledgable about the area/name you are suggesting.

DH says that he doesn't recall any Filipino with a place name from the Phillipines.  Not it hasn't happened, just that he can't recall any.

I suppose you could ask on another board, maybe the Knot's baby board? (i'm pretty sure they have one) I think there's a good amount of Filipinas.

Personally, I say go with it.  There is lots of nick name potential AND I know lots of people in that culture have unusual names and nick names.  

We went with a family name (dh's grandfather) so it is pretty unusual here.  This one, yeah, we're reaching.  lol  probably won't be a family name cause my family has all normal names, and what fun is there in that?  :)

#3 of 3 Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Katt.  There's Luzviminda, somewhat popular (comes from Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao), etc.  I did some further Googling and actually did find two people in the US with the name above.  They both have Anglo last names, so I *assume*-- but don't know for sure-- that they are both women.  But... we'll see!

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page