Question about hCG and Progesterone - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-09-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 6 weeks and 6 days pregnant. We tried to conceive for 22 months before it happened. This is our 10th, and last, baby. I had blood work done at 14 DPO. My Progesterone was 15.45 and my hCG was 89.1. The doctor started me on vaginal suppository Progesterone at 100 mg daily. We retested at 24 DPO. Progesterone dropped to 14.47 and hCG rose to 2039. The doctor doubled my dosage to 200 mg daily. We retested again at 31 DPO. Progesterone was up to 15.53. My hCG was up to 6887. They want to do an ultrasound tomorrow to check for possible ectopic pregnancy. I should clarify that I have had NO cramping or spotting of any kind. Also, with the previous 9 pregnancies, there was never a need to monitor my levels. I am not sure what to think, and am really wishing for once that I didn't live so far in the middle of nowhere (just over a 2 hour drive to the hospital) Any words of wisdom or advice as I am sure this will be a long 24 hours. Not sure if I should be really worried, or happy that my doctor isn't taking any chances.

#2 of 7 Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 AM

Hugs...  hug2.gif  I honestly don't have any words of wisdom of advice, but I just wanted to offer support.  I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now as you wait it out.  Let us know how it goes...  I will be thinking of you and hoping that all is well with your precious baby!

My sweet girl is here! 7/10/2012
#3 of 7 Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM

I find progesterone very confusing, but I wanted to pass along something others in my DDC told me when I was concerned about my progesterone levels (I ended up being on 100-mg suppositories until 20 weeks or something like that). They said that progesterone varies quite a bit day-to-day and throughout the day, so a dropping number one time is not necessarily anything to worry about. I know when I was as early on as you are, my progesterone was varying between 8 and 15 or so. (I am now 27 weeks.) It made me feel better to hear the others say that the number fluctuates, because I was getting frustrated and stressed trying to figure out a pattern. I also think different doctors have different levels where they feel the need to prescribe supplementation.

Again when all is said and done, I don't know much about this (I tried to do research to ease my own fears and only ended up being more uncertain), and even less about hCG levels, so I am really here just to offer hugs and say that I hope all goes well for you at your appointment. hug.gif

Jennifer (35) read.gif jog.gif , DH (36) reading.gifbikenew.gif, and baby makes three: Welcome DD Evelyn, 7/16/12! baby.gif

Missing our beloved "soul mate kitty" rainbow1284.gifflowerkitty.gif (RIP 8/19/11) but enjoying our two new kitty-girls.

#4 of 7 Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'm not an expert on this either, but I was told I wasn't ovulating at all because my progesterone levels were low.  That was, ironically, the month I conceived and I am now 23 weeks.  Prog levels fluctuate a lot during the day, so one single test a day (even if done repeatedly over a few days) can give you very misleading results.  I would focus on your HcG levels.  Remember too that progesterone supplementation has not been shown to be effective, so it's really more for your own peace of mind.  Your body will do what it's going to do, but I wouldn't let a few progesterone readings worry you since they can be very misleading (as others have pointed out).  Good luck!

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#5 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I went through IVF, so I know a little bit about this. My progesterone was tested a couple times in early pregnancy, but my doctor didn't seem to care about the results. Keep in mind that the suppositories will not increase the levels of progesterone in your bloodstream. Your hCG levels are much more important. If they are roughly doubling every 48 hours, then you are looking good. There are online calculators that can help you figure out if your hCG is doubling at the appropriate rate. Personally, I would be happy to get an early ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy, but I am not sure why your doctor is worried.
#6 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 07:41 PM

I had low progesterone with this pregnancy and in my last which ended in miscarriage. I had two completely normal uncomplicated pregnancies before that.

When they tested my levels they told me that they like to see the levels at around 25 in early pregnancy. I was a 14 and was started on 200 mg of progesterone suppositories daily at 5.5 weeks. When we tested again at 8 weeks it was at 24. I took the suppositories until 13 weeks then stopped and had my levels checked and it was 36. I really feel like supplementing helped this pregnancy along, all my spotting stopped when my levels went up. With my previous miscarriage my levels were low, but I was not supplementing and we lost the baby at 10 weeks.

HCG alone is not always a good indicator of a healthy pregnancy, my levels always were great even with low progesterone.

Good luck with everything!

Newly SAHM to DD - 11/30/06 and DS - 1/3/10 * 10 week loss 10/13/11 * Cautiously expecting a September Surprise

#7 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 AM

While low progesterone can be worrisome, it also can just be how your body *does* pregnancy. You don't know what your levels were like for any of your 9 successful pregnancies,so you may just not make a lot. For a data point, my levels at 6 weeks were just over 10. My OB does not supplement for anything over 10, and so I trusted (not easily and not without a lot of fretting) that my body just did pregnancy this way. My levels with my 3rd baby were only about 14 a week later gestation.  Anyway, without supplementation, I successfully made it through the first tri and am now almost 18 weeks!  

The u/s will hopefully give you a clearer picture of what is going on. I wish you the best.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page