Mothering Forum banner

Is there a connection btw an anterior placenta and posterior baby?

Tags
pregnancy
3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  fruitfulmomma 
#1 ·
I have no idea where to put this, but I figured someone on MDC would know.

I wound up with a csection b/c my daughter was posterior. My placenta was anterior (which we knew). At the time, I didn't question the two being related. But then two college friends had placentas in the same position and their daughters were also posterior (though they had vaginal deliveries). Are the two events related or are our birth stories totally coincidental?

#3 ·
People tend to say/believe that an anterior placenta means you're more likely to have a posterior baby (since babies "like to hug their placentas"). But everything I've read says that there isn't really much evidence to support this. After all, most placentas are posterior and plenty of those mamas have posterior babies...

So I would work on fetal positioning without worrying too much about placental location. Spinningbabies.com is an excellent site for all things related to fetal positioning, if you don't already know about it. Work on their techniques. Get regular chiropractic adjustments. Do yoga. Avoid soft surfaces and reclining backward.

#4 ·
Interesting. With my first, my placenta was nicely posterior, and baby was perfectly positioned...until my water broke. At which point she flipped completely posterior, and came out that way. Something none of us knew until she came out that way, with her tiny hand pressed to her cheek.

It is interesting to think there might be some sort of correlation in a percentage of the cases, but I think a lot of times, those babes just do what they want, and who knows why? LOL

#5 ·
I've heard the same, that the baby tends to face the placenta. Not sure what the evidence is for that but it does make sense since the front of the baby is tethered to the placenta. That said, my anecdata is that I've had anterior placenta both times and both babies were OA as well.

#8 ·
This is the first tie we have done routine us, so I don't know how the other placentas were but this one is anterior and baby has been persistantly posterior. I am 29 weeks now. I've hada couple of oother slightly malpositioned babies but all still came anterior. Hoping she will get in a better position soon, I think she is going transverse sometimes still. Going to do some swimming and try to get chiropractic before edd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.