Moving mid-pregnancy, prenatal care question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hoping to get some advice here. I'm 12 weeks pregnant. We will be moving cross-country, and I won't be in our new home until I'm 25 weeks along (July 19th). I'm hoping to have a home birth there. DD was born in the hospital with a midwife.

I had two prenatal appointments, one at 4 weeks and one at 8 weeks. Wasn't very impressed with the midwife there, and made an appointment with a different group (was supposed to be tomorrow). The office I went to is one that you can sign up for the state Medicaid for pregnant women program at, but they completely fouled up my paperwork, which I found out yesterday. I can try to apply again, but am feeling really stressed out with all of it. I would basically only be here for two appointments, since I leave this area July 7.

So my question is, what am I missing if I don't go to those appointments? I don't want to have my ultrasound until I'm in the new city, as DP is moving a month and a half before me. Are there things they need to check for before then? I don't have any medical issues. Was on zoloft, but weaned off of it early on. I had 'pre-term labor' with DD (braxton hicks contractions close together, but never dilated at all) starting abt 2 months before my due date, and very mild preeclampsia around 35 weeks.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

x-posting

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#2 of 3 Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

There is a window when you can do a structural ultrasound because they fetus can only be X big, which is why it is scheduled around 20w. I don't think you would be able to do it if you wait to find a new care giver after 24w and then need to schedule it.

You might also find a hard time finding a care giver if you have a large gap in prenatal care. I transfered at around 20w from an OB to a midwife group at a hospital and they were very careful to verify that I had been cared for previously. They wouldn't have taken me if I hadn't been in care.

So, you might consider keeping the caregiver you don't like ond or finding someone new local. The gap you are talking about sounds about 1/3 of your pregnancy.

#3 of 3 Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hmmm.  I would just call ahead of time and explain your situation.  Tell them you will be "in transit" for that period of time, and won't have good access to care.  Ask them what things they would recommend to someone in your situation.  I found my mw for my last baby when I was 8 weeks pregnant.  We just talked over the phone.  I didn't do any prenatal care until we finished moving around 30 weeks.  She was okay with it, but she is way more laid back than most standard providers.

Also, I had a later anatomy scan with my third, and because she was bigger, they thought she had a heart problem, and it all spiraled out of control.  (She was just fine, btw).  So, you can have them later, but be aware that there is a higher rate of false positives.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page